What's new

What are you brewing?

5 Gallons of Chocolate Milk Stout are bottle conditioning as I type (40 Grolsch Bottles). It is a partial mash kit from Northern Brewer. The shipping prices that they charge are inexpensive enough that it is cheaper to buy a kit from them than it is to drive across town to my local brew shop.

I really need to whip up a batch of ginger mead. I have the honey, I just need the ginger and the time to brew!

Last edited:
I just bottled up some Belgian Cherry IPA, and am about to pitch yeast in for a Belgian Honey IPA. I have a holiday Marzen lagering for Christmas and some Smoked Apple Saskatoon gluten free ale just hitting its stride.

just got back from my brother's place where we brewed an english bitter. Belgian triple was just bottled yesterday.

Just finished my last (for the season) batch of hard cider (made the traditional way with freshly pressed apple juice and wild yeast).

I make a variety of small beers using ginger beer plant, currently have a batch of traditional ginger beer going, and a fermented tea in bottles. I have also brewed something like root beer using this culture.

For those not familiar with ginger beer plant, it is a symbiotic culture of a yeast and a lactic acid bacteria that produces a mildly alcoholic, sour brew from just about any sugar containing liquid.

Fermented tea? Ok, you've piqued my interest, those brews sound very interesting. I'll have to look into this, once I've bottled the 5 gallons of beer and sorted out the apple wine!

Fermented tea? Ok, you've piqued my interest, those brews sound very interesting. I'll have to look into this, once I've bottled the 5 gallons of beer and sorted out the apple wine!

You will need to get the culture from someone, you cannot create it with just yeast as you need the bacterial symbiote. There is another form of fermented tea called kombucha that uses a different symbiotic culture that is made up of yeast and and acetic acid bacteria. I haven't tried this yet, but there are a number of sources for this culture as well.

And to add to this - I'm trying my hand at mead today. Just a small (5 litre) batch to start off with

I've got the honey purchased for a small, one gallon batch of Mead, just need to come up with a recipe and make a trip to the home-brew store for the rest of the ingredients.

Used to brew in college and made 10 gallons of mead that turned out quite well (in 5 gallon plastic buckets, no less).

Let me ask you fellow brewers a question. I had 4 pumpkins, with most of the meat I made 2 pumpkin pies and a pumpkin cheesecake. I now have a good bit of meat left for a pumpkin ale. I also have all the liquid from the pumpkins and feel like I would be loosing a lot of sugar and taste if I tossed the liquid away. I would imagine when I baked the pumpkin the resulting liquid would be heavy in sugars and help to get a higher hooch level. What do you all think?

In the past, I added the liquid with the meat but I only had a cup or so...I have about 2 quarts of liquid and about 1 quart of meat.

Yeah don't throw the juice away, I'm not sure how much sugar there would be in it - just check the gravity of the wort before adding any extra

10 gallons of imperial porter, racked to secondary. This one is made using a lager yeast so it's taking a while.
This is 1 of 2 carboys of this stuff.

$6454192645_8cdbe1a9c5_z.jpg

So in the mean time, I made 10 gallons of A clone of Goose Island Honkers Ale, which is already done cooking and ready for bottle conditioning.

$6454190897_da915da5e7_z.jpg

Phwoar, looking good superbleu! I've not been brave enough to try bottling to glass yet. I cracked open bottle Scottish 80 last night and it's tasty, I'm surprised how good it is for such a quick brew. And I finally got my 5 gallons of apple wine going, although the hydrometer rated it at over 1160 so it's going to be a tad stronger than normal wine :laugh:

Pumpkin IPA, brewed on Sunday, had great fermetation activity all week. SG was around 1.046 to 1.048 (my hygrometer is off by .003) When I woke up to go to work yesterday afternoon (around 5pm) there was not much activity so I think I'll move it to a secondary later today, there was a LOT of meat still left over after I filtered it. I used what was left of the pumpkins from the pies from Thanksgiving, PLUS I added the liquid that was made from cooking the pumpkins to the boil too.

Sorry for the bad picture, used my camera phone.

$pumpkin.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the honey purchased for a small, one gallon batch of Mead, just need to come up with a recipe and make a trip to the home-brew store for the rest of the ingredients.

Used to brew in college and made 10 gallons of mead that turned out quite well (in 5 gallon plastic buckets, no less).

For a simple mead recipe try Joes ancient orange mead. I thought it came out well. I also have modified it a bit by racking it every so often.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

My brother is becomming a brewmaster. I keep bugging him to make a 'Root Beer' beer.
If anybody has a recipe for a root beer brew, please PM me. He is doing a sweet chestnut ale right now and I think hes got a stout to. Mmmmmm christmas is gonna be good this year!

I racked a gallon of spiced mead yesterday and it's starting to clear nicely, I also got a batch of apricot and ginger mead on the go. I'm going to give the ancient orange a try next!

About to order a "Rye Stout" kit from Northern Brewer, along with some chocolate wheat grain to enhance the flavor just a little. I am still stuck with Extract, because I do not have the time, money, or (more importantly) SPACE for all grain. I am happy with my beer as is my family, so thats all that matters. Sure, its a bit of work, but I get 48 bottles of pretty good beer for $30 or less and a little time. I can sometimes taste a little of the extract taste, but all in all, if I enjoy the beer at warmer temps, it goes away and the beer is far better. I think I need to turn the fridge down, again!

Top Bottom