What's new

What are the sharp blade corners in a Shavette?

Planning to get a cheap shavette. I keep reading about people talking about the sharp blade corners of a half-blade in the shavette. I can't visualize it. Isn't it the same sharp corners that are kind of exposed in a DE razor as well? Can someone help with some pics as to what these sharp corners are and what rounded ones are (Parker SR1 promises a rounded corner)?

And this cheap shavette here: Imported Stainless Steel Straight Barber Hair Salon Razor Folding Safe Shavin...-54000966MG: Amazon.in: Beauty

This is similar to SR1 with rounded corners? Or would this have the sharp exposed blade corners?

Last edited:
I suspect it's more that the disposable blades are a bit sharper than most get a straight razor than anything to do with the corners.

For me, having tried both, the difference between a straight razor and a shavette is that the straight razor seems to know the difference between the stubble and your skin, while the shavette seems to cut anything in it's path.

Go slow and watch some videos before you start and you'll be fine. The only time I really cut myself was when I was trying some crazy angle to get a really stubborn spot. Be patient as the really good straight razor shaves don't show up until about your 100th shave. There's a serious learning curve here.

Dovo shavettes use a plastic insert to hold the blade. The blade butts up against a little bit of the plastic, effectively eliminating the corner sticking out of the blade.

Once you get used to shaving with a shavette, the corners aren't really a problem. But in case your're interested, here is a link to the most popular Dovo.
Amazon.com: Dovo Shavette Straight Razor Steel Handle: Beauty

If I may say though, I personally love the Parker SR-1. I've owned quite a lot of shavettes over the years and not one has been able to take me away from the SR-1. I use it every day.

Amazon.com: Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Edge Barber Razor and 5 Shark Super Stainless blades: Beauty

The corners have not been an issue for me. They are actually somewhat sounded if you look under any magnification.

They of course will cut you if you're not careful but not like a true spike point razor will.

image.jpeg i use a parker shavette and its amazing :)...been using it for 6 months now and its going strong just as good as the day i got it ...those sharp corners every now and then get you...just take your time stretch your skin and go slow its a great shave once u have it down pack
:) gl

When I put a new blade in my Parker shavette, I mute the corners by rubbing them on the neck of a glass Old Spice bottle. It only takes a couple of seconds, and then I don't have to worry about getting bitten by a blade corner.

Top Bottom