What's new

What Animal have you seen in the wild, that was a rarity for you ?

On my way home from hunting this year I saw an Ermine cross the road. Never seen one ever before. Tiny little things they are. It was crossing a fairly busy 4 lane road, I thought that was pretty impressive.

Now in weird events I had a family of bald eagles go after my freshly killed and field dress doe this year. Darn things are becoming as common as crows up here!! Still pretty to see and cool, however I can see them starting to get into the level of pests in the near future.

I actually seen a MERM! An honest to heck, real life MERM! In a Walmart none the less :lol:

$CraaPvUWIAAzF1V.jpg

Last week I saw a Hairy Woodpecker for the first time, at one of my backyard feeders. At first glance I thought it was the more common Downy Woodpecker which has almost identical plumage, but it was twice as big.

Now in weird events I had a family of bald eagles go after my freshly killed and field dress doe this year. Darn things are becoming as common as crows up here!! Still pretty to see and cool, however I can see them starting to get into the level of pests in the near future.
They're getting fairly common around here too. I saw one in a treetop by the road, about 5 km from the Nova Scotia & New Brunswick border, on the NS side.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Today I had to stop the truck while 8 Mountain Goats crossed the road. I 'm used to seeing deer, Mountain Goats not so much.

In MICHIGAN? Wow,

Here in the extreme south of the Great Mitten, I found this guy out back. To get a sense of the size, the tallest pod on the sea grass is about 4 feet. And the bird is standing on an adult mallard, that survived at least for a while. The hawk was 18-20" high, I have had hawks around but this was bigger. My guess is Red-Tailed, he took off when I opened the doorwall and so did his intended lunch. I'm going to post this in the "Birds" thread also in hopes of a confident identification.

$IMG_8634b.jpg

Second bobcat sighting today for me. Imperial Parkway in Bonita Springs. He was looking for a way around a long wildlife fence. Looked alert and healthy. Did not stop the bike ride as there was an incident with a rabid bobcat nearby not long ago.

I am fortunate to have an albino whitetail deer that visits my yard . I live in a suburban area where it is not legal to hunt etc. so this fella will hopefully be around for awhile

I saw a great horned owl in a tree. It was really big. My wife and also saw a skunk walking next to us one night when we were walking the dog. She thought it was a white flower but I informed her that was the stripe on his back. We carefully backed off. That was a funny night.

Back when I was commuting to work I was constantly seeing wildlife, I haven't started riding to the new job yet, it's about 5 times farther. While I was riding, I scared the pee out of a coyote, literally! He was pulling on some roadkill and I got about ten feet from him before he saw me, left a zigzag squirt trail down the path. I almost got hit by a deer riding in fog. I saw several tarantulas, box turtles, roadrunners, and one afternoon four bobcats crossing a field together.

~J. Babcock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i was stationed in El Paso, TX, i was walking on the road, heard a rustling and a Jackrabbit jumped out of the bushes and ran into the desert. it was about 4 feet tall, i almost crapped myself.

there's always a plan B.

A few years back I was driving east on Route 202 in Norristown PA. This is a small city situated in the endless suburbs of Philadelphia. A huge bird was flying just above and to the left of my car. It was a Bald Eagle. I never saw one before or since.

IMG_0444.JPG
Ok, not rare since there are Deer everywhere around here but getting this pic was very lucky / rare.

I walk every morning around where I work and Deer are a fairly common site. In the pitch black before sunrise I saw this guy sitting in the tall grass. I snapped a pic but all I got was his eyes reflecting back. I kept on walking, went inside, ate breakfast then came back out with my pipe to smoke prior to starting work. The sun was now fully up and the buck was still sitting there. I walked right up to him and got this pic. I lit my pipe and he stayed there the whole time. This may be my favorite picture I've ever taken.

IMG_0491.jpg
Same as above but this time I had my iPhone out and the camera app already launched trying to get a shot of the sunrise. As I walked into position this buck was standing on the hill between me and the rising sun. I quickly snapped two shots before he bolted and got this silhouette of him up against the sunrise.

I've walked around that building since 2009 with the iPhone on me and these are the two really nice pics that resulted in all that time.

Lots of 'rare' wildlife round here. . .

Hiked less than a mile from my dry tree cabin here to get the 2nd photo.

2nd photo) These two are normally hard to sneak up on; got within 100 meters of them.

3rd photo) Wife took this shot of the bear

last photo) This ole boy shows up every year, proudly displaying his rack.
TreeCabin.jpg
BigHorns (2).jpg Bear1.jpg MuleDeer.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A Lynx on my last moose hunt in Northern Ontario. We saw each other at the same time and both of us stopped dead and stared. I think he was as curious as I was and had never seen a person before. After maybe 3 minutes he just turned his head and sauntered off without a worry in the world.

Caught this little guy trail running, not super rare but super cute.
proxy.php

~J. Babcock
Foxhole Shavers Club (16yr USAF, currently MSgt OKANG)

Not a rarity, but a Cooper's hawk plucked what I think was a white-throated sparrow right off my back window as it was trying frantically to escape the attack. This happened just a moment ago not more than 3 feet from my head as I was browsing this forum. The hawk is in my birch tree right now, eating, while the blue jays are screaming at it.

Don

Top Bottom