What's new

Want to change knot. Need som advise

Hello,

I had this brush for a long time and never liked the knot. Does not produce good lather and very prickly on the face. I love the handle but the knot has got to go.

The handle is all metal. What would be the most effective way with to remove the knot.

Thanks.

Attachments

• $BRUSH.JPG
    $BRUSH.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 155
With an all metal handle I'd steam it out, much easier and quicker than cutting & drilling. I used a stovetop steamer and it took maybe 15 minutes tops. It did gunk up the steamer a bit but I was able to clean it up, although my then girlfriend gave me a righteous verbal lashing first since I used her steamer.

With an all metal handle I'd steam it out, much easier and quicker than cutting & drilling. I used a stovetop steamer and it took maybe 15 minutes tops. It did gunk up the steamer a bit but I was able to clean it up, although my then girlfriend gave me a righteous verbal lashing first since I used her steamer.

+1 This would be the best way to go without ruining the handle. If that doesn't work, and you have a bench to vice, clamp down on the knot and try tugging it out.

Boiled the it for about 5-10 minutes and it came out fairly easily.

I was looking at knots and want to know how are the high mountain white? Can anyone give me the their experience with this.

Also I need to purchase an adhesive for this. Please offer recommendations that I could get.

Thanks.

I've not used the High Mountain White, but I'm a fan of the TGN Finest Badger. Great knot. Also, I've used JB weld in all of my restores, and it's been working well. But the other guys may have a better suggestion

Devcon Five Minute epoxy is what I always use to install new knots, having seen it recommended by most of the brush making experts on B&B. It's easy to use, and very effective. I put decorator's masking tape around the handle when I fix a new knot, to prevent any of the epoxy making a mess. Also, I'm careful not to use too much; it shouldn't squeeze up the plug of the knot and out on to the handle.
As for HMW knots, there are good and mediocre ones; of most significance is where you get them. TGN has a good reputation. Also good, amd much cheaper, are the High Mountain knots from Whipped Dog.

Bob from elite razors has some really top notch knots in currently. His Manchurian white knots have been getting fantastic reviews, comparable to the high end manufacturers and run about $50ish for a 24mm knot. Not sure what size your looking for but that would be my first choice. He also has high mountain white which is a 3 band knot if you prefer 3 band over 2 band badger

Most any epoxy will work. But, before committing to applying the glue, you can use silicone adhesive to test the knot loft (just plain, 100% silicone rubber). Apply a dab on the bottom of the knot and insert to your desired loft. Try to avoid putting too much in to keep it from oozing up the sides of the knot and into the hairs. If you don't like the loft, you can gently yank the knot out and try a different loft until you find what works best for you before committing to epoxy.

I have a high mountain white and I don't think it is enough better than a finest to pay the difference. For the best finest knots I would look at either one from TGN or a high mountain (not high mountain white) from Whipped Dog.

I've not used the High Mountain White, but I'm a fan of the TGN Finest Badger. Great knot. Also, I've used JB weld in all of my restores, and it's been working well. But the other guys may have a better suggestion

I have a high mountain white and I don't think it is enough better than a finest to pay the difference. For the best finest knots I would look at either one from TGN or a high mountain (not high mountain white) from Whipped Dog.

I agree on the TGN Finest, they're a great knot for the price. I like Stick Fast epoxy for setting the knot. It's a bit thinner than the brand I use for pens but any 5 minute epoxy should work.

Last edited:
I have found the High Mountain White from the Golden Nib to be just a little too limp and fluffy for me. It is very, very soft on my face and puffs up into a giant ball of lather that is too wide for my preference.
Last week I finished a project making a smaller brush - a 21mm Finest knot in a stone handle (both knot and handle from China) using JB Weld. I can lather my face more precisely with the more rigid Finest, but it is more stingy on the lather, too. Maybe I also like it better because I made it myself!

Top Bottom