What's new

Want to Buy a Straight

Hi guys

I've been a DE shaver for about 3 years now and about 2 years ago I bought my first straight from Whipped Dog. I tried it once when I first bought it and I gave up on it due to the difficulty and crappy shave I got. I stuck to my R41 until now. The other day while preparing to shave, the screw that connects the head to the handle of my R41 broke off into the handle (I couldn't believe it!). So I broke out the whipped dog straight and gave it a second shot. And I have to say that I got a much better shave than before and now I want to fully convert to straight shaving.

So while I intend to continue to practice with the whipped dog straight, I really want to buy a nice, new straight razor to be my full-time razor. But I really would appreciate help narrowing down the choices. There are so many different vendors, brands, and types that it's mind boggling.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated - in terms of what online vendor to buy from, what brand, etc. My budget is up to $200. Thanks guys!

Best bang for your buck by a long, very long shot is Brian Brown. Entry level at $189. Strong runner up would be a Ralf Aust. Prices on the Aust will vary but a really nice one can be had for about $150-$156 or so

Last edited:
I love my Ralf Aust 5/8 .Great Balance and nice audible feedback.My Aust was shave ready out of the Box.I do not own a Brian Brown but have read a lot of nice feedback on this board .

I have a Thiers Issard with ram horn scales that I love--I got it used for only $90, but it sales for about $300 new. If I were to buy a new one today under $200, I'd either get a Ralf Aust or a Boker. Let us know what you pick!

I would add Portland Razor Company to the list. They've been around for a little while now and I really like my razor I got from them when they first came on the scene. ($165-185)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can't heap enough praise on the Dovo Bismarck and similar razors by TI and Revisor, not to mention the original pre-Dovo Bismarck that I bought NOS. It is a great shape, nice to use and easy to hone. A new Bismarck will fit within your budget, depending on scales. Jarrod at TheSuperiorShave usually has them in stock, and ships them shave ready. This is a popular razor and so there are other vendors as well who should have them, but Jarrod is a member here and has a good reputation. At one time he had a plain vanilla Bismarck pattern called the Palisander but I think they are all gone. Some guys prefer a razor without all the girly gold wash and other frippery. Some prefer fancy. YMMV. Either way it is a great razor.

I would add Portland Razor Company to the list. They've been around for a little while now and I really like my razor I got from them when they first came on the scene. ($165-185)

+1 Great customer service and excellent razor...I have the Leviathan.

I just received a beautiful 5/8 Ralf Aust with African Blackwood scales. I ordered it directly from him and it was $139 including shipping.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I also like the 'Bismarck' blank, Boker Elite (clunky scales), Wacker Barbier's Bride, Aust, or Revisor all these are the same blank, choose your grinder and finisher.

Other good choices, Boker Silver Steel, any Japanese razor that's NOS or near mint.

TIs are very nice but you seem to get a wide wavy bevel one a little more often than some other brands. A near mint Le Grelot would be a good razor too.

Cheers, Steve

If buying new I would likely go with Wacker. They were off their game for a while but I have seen and honed several of their blades recently purchased and they are of the highest craftsmanship.

I only have one "modern" razor, a Revisor. The rest were ground decades and even a century ago. I like my Revisor. The workmanship is beautiful and the shaves it delivers are smooth, comfortable and close.

P1050769.JPG

I want to thank all of you guys for your replies. After giving it some thought, I think I'm going to go with a razor from Portland Razor Company.

They're local, the razors look very nice and affordable, and they see to get only good reviews. My current whipped dog razor is a round point so I think I want to go with a square point, so the Leviathan.

Now I just got to figure out what scales to go with! Lol. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd appreciate it. Oh, I'm also going to go with one of their strops as well.

Thanks again!

Portland Razor Company gets a lot of love. They seem to put together a nice product. One thing though...did you consider what grind you may prefer? Indeed that is a serious concept to consider when buying a new razor. PRC is exclusively a 1/4 hollow blade. They're fine. Many fans of a quarter hollow blade out there. Indeed I have a couple, glad I do. But they are not my favorite. I lean to the more hollow grinds you will find on many (well regarded) razors mentioned on this forum. Might want to vet the new purchase a tad more...or not. You can always buy another. That's how great collections begin.

Portland Razor Company gets a lot of love. They seem to put together a nice product. One thing though...did you consider what grind you may prefer? Indeed that is a serious concept to consider when buying a new razor. PRC is exclusively a 1/4 hollow blade. They're fine. Many fans of a quarter hollow blade out there. Indeed I have a couple, glad I do. But they are not my favorite. I lean to the more hollow grinds you will find on many (well regarded) razors mentioned on this forum. Might want to vet the new purchase a tad more...or not. You can always buy another. That's how great collections begin.

Hey Acmemfg, thanks for the reply. I have read about the 1/4 hollow grind with the PRC blades. I'm not sure what my current sight unseen blade is, I think it might be a full hollow.

But honestly, I'm so inexperienced with straight razor shaving that I don't think I could adequately compare the way a 1/4 hollow shaves to any other grind. But I've read reviews that the PRC blades are great shaves so I'm mostly basing my decision on that.

Heard many good things about PRC. Were I in the market for another quarter hollow, one of theirs would be on my radar for sure

Buy a NOS 6/8 Henckels Friodur of your choise, best beginner's razor I can think of.
Could not agree more. They are all over some auction sites. A Frederich Herder 77 was my first SR, also a good choice. I don't have and never have had a SR newer than about 1950 or so...love the old ones, bringing them back if needed, but NOS Henkel are primo, substantial feel and a good value. GL!

Top Bottom