What's new

Visited the new AOS store.

As someone else mentioned, they have sales from time to time and that is a good time to buy. A member is the 3017 thread used a puck every day for about 8 months, so it is a pretty efficient soap.

Along that same line, I was wondering how long a puck would last. I used the same puck of AOS soap every day for 9 months. That works out to 9.6 cents per shave. I don't consider that to be prohibitively expensive. I have no idea how long other pucks might last (other than a puck of Williams), so I have no idea how to calculate cost per shave for any others.

I would pay full retail for AoS soaps, they're that good.
Of course, I'm smart enough NOT to, but that's a different story ;)

+1

I believe Jim used a puck everyday and it lasted 8 months in the 3017 thread. Even if it lasted half as long, $26 over 4 months really isn't bad at all. Theres plenty of $8-10 soaps that only last a month of daily use. Read about it in the 3017 thread. I think the La Toja Bowl only lasted 2 months, and that was even more expensive than the AOS

The Sephora in the mall by my house doesn't carry AOS in the store any more. They did like six months ago and SWMBO picked me up the Sandalwood cream, but now I guess they don't. I will be in Milwaukee in a couple weeks and also in Chicago the first week of August. Gonna blow up Merz Apothecary!

Ha! It appears I'm behind the times. Sorry for the bad info, and it's too bad they don't carry it anymore. Even though I've had excellent service from online vendors, it was nice to not blind buy scents.

For any topic worth is always highly subjective. The only way to answer your question is to try it out yourself and see. If you read around you'll find mixed opinions on AoS just as you will with any soap (i.e. YMMV). AoS is one of my favorites but whether you'll find it to be one of yours is an entirely different matter.

...and overpriced is subjective/YMMV as well.

I will respectfully disagree. While matters of taste may be subjective, when performance of said goods is considered there are many products in the marketplace that are comparable, yet they are priced for substantially less.

$26 for a soap refill is overpriced. $180 for a silvertip brush with acrylic handle is overpriced. Their DE blades as was mentioned here... overpriced. Even considering that they have more overhead than an online store, the folks who spend their money here better have money to burn.

They're trying to do the same thing that grey goose did, overprice their product to create the illusion of it being superior. If they focused instead on increasing profits by charging less and making more, I'd be a fan.

What is their profit margin on a puck of shaving soap? It's probably ridiculous.

I agree. Taste is tied to one's preferences and experiences. You get into the realm of relativity when you compare the price of a puck of soap to a similar type of item. While one could only guess what their profit margin on a bar of soap is, I'm sure they do really well with mass producing and strategically sourcing ingredients through P&G.

I will respectfully disagree. While matters of taste may be subjective, when performance of said goods is considered there are many products in the marketplace that are comparable, yet they are priced for substantially less.

$26 for a soap refill is overpriced. $180 for a silvertip brush with acrylic handle is overpriced. Their DE blades as was mentioned here... overpriced. Even considering that they have more overhead than an online store, the folks who spend their money here better have money to burn.

They're trying to do the same thing that grey goose did, overprice their product to create the illusion of it being superior. If they focused instead on increasing profits by charging less and making more, I'd be a fan.

What is their profit margin on a puck of shaving soap? It's probably ridiculous.

"Taste" and "performance" are related though. How many times have you seen someone saying Product X is the greatest thing since sliced bread and they can't live without it; then two posts later someone else is saying it is the worst crap ever created and they burned it in effigy? Do these two people think the product "performs" the same. Of course not. Do they think it is worth the same price? Of course not.

Taste as you call it is really just preference, and preference is directly linked to performance for that person. Is $26 for 8 months worth of shaves with your favorite product overpriced? I think most would say no.

"Taste" and "performance" are related though. How many times have you seen someone saying Product X is the greatest thing since sliced bread and they can't live without it; then two posts later someone else is saying it is the worst crap ever created and they burned it in effigy? Do these two people think the product "performs" the same. Of course not. Do they think it is worth the same price? Of course not.

Taste as you call it is really just preference, and preference is directly linked to performance for that person. Is $26 for 8 months worth of shaves with your favorite product overpriced? I think most would say no.

+1

Nobody is saying you have to spend $26 on a soap to get good performance. Worth is entirely personal. Some people would say feathers are overpriced at $30 per hundred, same for a brush over $25. It's really senseless to argue over that since everyone has a different budget and wants from their products

This is where it gets tricky. You may find that many products are comparable to AOS, but I find that few if any are. Many are shave-worthy at far lower prices, but few if any are quite on the level of AOS in my opinion. Hence my willingness to shell out $15-18 per puck (I've never paid full retail for it) for occasional use as a special treat.

I have the cream of Sandalwood and want the soap but damn it is expensive!!!!! I live in Canada so no retail stores. Where and when is the best place and time to buy it?

The Sephora in the mall by my house doesn't carry AOS in the store any more. They did like six months ago and SWMBO picked me up the Sandalwood cream, but now I guess they don't. I will be in Milwaukee in a couple weeks and also in Chicago the first week of August. Gonna blow up Merz Apothecary!

If you are in Merz downtown on a weekend keep an eye out for me! I'll be the guy wearing a metal t-shirt that none of the employees are talking to because they are sick of me correcting them during their sales speeches. All brushes need stands pssh.

nrv216

My argument is not in the context of each individual shaving enthusiast and their individual justification for buying the soap. It is none of my business how an individual spends their money.

My argument, pure and simple, is that AOS profits considerably more for each puck of soap that they sell compared to other companies that sell shaving soap. That can absolutely not be denied. That is all I'm arguing.

They do the same amount of work as the fine folks at, say, L'Occitane or TOBS, but take home more of your dough.

This is where it gets tricky. You may find that many products are comparable to AOS, but I find that few if any are. Many are shave-worthy at far lower prices, but few if any are quite on the level of AOS in my opinion. Hence my willingness to shell out $15-18 per puck (I've never paid full retail for it) for occasional use as a special treat.

I would have no problem shelling out $15-18 per puck, or even their cream, I've been eyeing a tub of Ocean Kelp for a while.

I would have no problem shelling out $15-18 per puck, or even their cream, I've been eyeing a tub of Ocean Kelp for a while.

They just had a 30% off sale for Father's Day, last year it was 40%. They had a $10 off $20 sale last year. The sales come.

AOS is my favorite soap and I've never paid full price. Their balms and gels are becoming favorites also, again at 30% - 40% off.

IMO you're depriving yourself of a great soap because as you said in another thread "I pay no more than $10 to $15" , so even when it does go on sale again it seems it won't be good enough for you as it will still be $3 more than your limit, or you will rail on about not fattening P&Gs pockets.

The only complaint complainers make about AOS is the price, some who have never even tried it.

Father's day, Black Friday are the biggest usually. Go on their website and sign up for the Brotherhood of Shaving, you'll get emails of offers.

Top Bottom