What's new

Visited the local "discount" package store this morning.

Had to work today for a couple of hours. My trip home takes me past the discount liquor store, at which I have found some bottles at decent prices. One in particular is El Tesoro tequila. So I pull in to the converted bank building for a poke around for something to sip during the Super Bowl later.

I head for the bourbon aisle and, lo and behold, the first bottle I see is Elmer T. Lee! Been looking for this since I finished the bottle my sister brought me! The "Ah!" had to be audible. Then I see the price tag...$89.99. What has happened at my discount liquor store?? The "Uh..." was probably audible, too. So I browse on...

While checking the single malts, the proprietor offers to fetch me anything in particular. "I have the high end bourbons back here," he says. "Elmer T. Lee, the Pappy's..." Ooooh! This may be my chance to get a bottle of Pappy!

"Do you have the ten year?'

"I have the 10, the 15, the 20..." At this liquor store???

I ask how he comes by it. "I buy a lot from the Buffalo Trace distillery. A lot."

"How much for the 10 year," I ask, realizing at this point that it will be far out of reach if I can't afford Elmer T. Lee.

"Five hundred."

I thank him, pay for the 750 ml of Tito's I pick up, and leave. But I did lay eyes on some great stuff!

$400 for the Thomas Handy and $80 for Col. E.H. Taylor, if you're interested.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Was that in Florida?!? I became spoiled on top shelf sprits because everything was so cheap when I lived in Daytona Beach and Palm Coast. The last I looked, Elmer T Lee was right around $30-$40 here in Michigan.

Yes. SW FL. And Elmer T. Lee should be less than $40. This shop is definitely taking advantage... Many of their prices now are higher than the shop 2 miles from my house.

I stopped by two other shops today. The variability in prices is crazy. One shop asked $70 for Angel's Envy while the other wanted $40 (about the cheapest I've seen it). Prices on the whole are definitely on the rise. $58 for Blanton's. $60 for E.H. Taylor Single Barrel.

How's Rebel Yell? Pretty harsh stuff? One shop was asking $20 for a new large 1.75L "jug." Reviews seem to reflect the price and location on the bottom shelf...

Last edited:
I guess one advantage of the state running the liquor stores here is that the prices are the same no matter where you go.

Top Bottom