What's new

Vintage Old Spice!

I managed to pick up a NOS puck of Old Spice. After returning to wet shaving in July 2016, I have been looking to complete a nostalgic setup.

My Sunday morning shave will be:

IMG_0290.JPG

Vintage Old Spice shave soap and mug, Vintage Fuller Badger brush and a 1960 (F2) Gillette Fatboy. The only non-vintage item will be the Feather blades (tried that once...not again). I need to pick up some Gillette blades to round out the setup.

I am recreating one of my earliest memories as a five year old. It was 1971 and I was standing at the sink with my dad in our 1910 farmhouse in Poulsbo, Washington watching him shave with a nearly identical setup (he can't remember the model of Fuller brush he used).

Did your father use aftershave as well out of curiosity, since some vintage Old Spice aftershave isn't included in your setup?

IMG_0292.JPG
Thank you for the reminder Dave, I totally missed that. The full bottles of Old Spice After Shave and Talc were my early 50th birthday gift from Dad.

I wouldn't discount the vintage gillette blades too much. The last time I did a theme shave it was a Bond shave. I used an OS mug, Gillette Slim, and a '61 Gillette Thin blade. The blade worked great.

Looks fantastic. I'm 43 and use nothing but the classics albeit not that vintage. Our fathers and grandfathers had class back then instead of the body spray crap now days.

I wouldn't discount the vintage gillette blades too much. The last time I did a theme shave it was a Bond shave. I used an OS mug, Gillette Slim, and a '61 Gillette Thin blade. The blade worked great.

I may have to give those a try since I have some. I tried the old Blue blades...it felt like I was using a rasp as a razor. :117:

Awesome homage to an early memory and to your father's honor! How was the shave? Did you like the soap? It's one of the best soaps ever made, IMHO. Very few soaps today feel like that on your face.

I was using a similar setup at about that time, except that I had an Ever-Ready boar brush instead of a Fuller brush, and a Slim instead of a Fat Boy. Dad had a Fat Boy. Old Spice shaving soap was available at the corner drug store for a very reasonable price. Shoulda stocked up.

Awesome homage to an early memory and to your father's honor! How was the shave? Did you like the soap? It's one of the best soaps ever made, IMHO. Very few soaps today feel like that on your face.
Very nice! That's going to be an awesome shave day!

Very cool. Hope the shave was all you wanted it to be.

Well gentlemen, sorry for the delay in posting a review of my experience.
Soap: Vintage Old Spice (1965 - 1975)
Razor: 1961 Fatboy
Mug: Old Spice (1964 - 1978)
Brush: Vintage Fuller, pure badger
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (changed my mind)
Alum: Gentlemen Jon
AS: Vintage Old Spice (1938 - 1950)

My normal pre-shave prep consists of setting up by razor, soaking the brush and laying everything out on a towel, followed by a nice hot shower. I gave the brush a gentle squeeze and two gentle shakes, the soap puck was a bit dry to the touch with some fine crystallization so I figured a wetter brush would be best. The soap still has a mild Old Spice Scent. Without being aggressive, I loaded the brush for a mere 30 seconds which is all it took to completely coat the entire brush head. The puck now has a much more noticeable Old Spice scent. Added a bit of water to my mug and lathered for about 1 minute while adding a few more drops of water...WOW...at this point this stuff. I ended up with a mug nearly overflowing with creamy smooth lather. I applied the lather on my face and it actually continued to build more!

7B6B2468-417E-45B8-9FF2-3DE0814AC7D0.JPG

Laid hold of my '61 Fatboy and proceeded to do a North to South pass on both sides...can you say SLICK? The Old Spice soap made the razor glide across my face like new skates on fresh ice. 2nd pass was South to North and I still had a ton of lather left. Final pass was East to West (ear to nose) and still had that great slick, blade gliding feel.
I then proceeded with my normal touch ups around my goatee and along my jawline. Lather...still enough for another pass+.

Result...can you say BBS?!!!

The post shave feel is amazing, no drying or tightness at all. Followed this up with my Gentlemen Jon alum block to feel for irritation...NOTHING! A dash of vintage Old Spice aftershave...the tiniest tingle around my jaw and adams apple. Without hesitation, I declare this to be my best shave yet! It was so good I did something out of character...I jumped on the Bay and quickly bid on a mug/soap listing and this morning was rewarded with a winning bid notification (I have an amazing wife!).

I will likely use my Old Spice soap for memorable and/or special events. At current prices, there is no way I can justify buying more. If you have the opportunity to buy some vintage Old Spice soap, I would tell you it is well worth it. I definitely will be looking for the elusive "in the wild" find...if only you could find it for the orignal price of .75 cents.

Last edited:
Yes the Old Spice set up is nice. I had a mug & soap that I bought about 1975. I didn't use it every shave. In fact I seldom used it. So when I got into wet shaving as a hobby in Nov. 2011 I still had most of the Old Spice soap left. I finally used it up. It was good stuff.

Top Bottom