What's new

UPS not a Friend of Mine

Just a rant here.....
Sold a rather expensive air rifle. Shipped it via UPS to California. They broke it; did a pretty good job of that. Sure, it was insured. Of course they told me "too bad-so sad". Although it was packaged in a box made specifically for shipping a rifle (Marlin 1895 .45-70), they said it did not meet their "specifications".
No matter it was securely wrapped with heavy-duty shipping tape and packed full of styrofoam peanuts...marked as "FRAGILE". Nah....you lose sport!
Doubt I will use this shipper again.....
IMG_0938.JPG

I shipped a television via fedex awhile ago. I packaged it in original packing. Added peanuts. Had the lady at fedex help me pack it. Got a call about a week later from manufacture. It was totally distroyed. The picture tube was broken out of the case. It looked like they deopped it off a 2 story building. Thank god for insurance. They move millions of packages every year. They have few accidents when you think of amount yhey do ship.

Sounds like something to move up the management chain. They not only lose you as a customer, but folks here may think twice before shipping via UPS.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Every single package (about 110 packages annually) I receive is throw down at my doorstep by UPS. I can hear the thump. And somehow the UPS guy knows the contents of certain valuables packages. FedEx is slightly better in my experience. USPS is still the best and that's not saying much.

I learned to double box really fragile items when shipping UPS, or the USPS. Not so much razors and such, but I was buying and selling French copper tin lined cookware for awhile. Bought a bunch from a lady in Pittsburgh who packed bulletproof. I learned from her.
The carriers will do all they can to avoid paying claims, even when you've done a great job packing. Sad but that's life in the big city.

Man that's so irritating. Now I will say when I was in college I worked at ups one Christmas and there were packages [emoji403] thrown everywhere. Not by me. Now occasionally it would be the shippers fault. I remember a customer shipped a dozen axes in a cardboard box and five of the heads came shooting out of he box as it traveled the conveyor belt. Man they swooped down into that semi with cameras firing. Yes it was that long ago they used cameras. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a trebuchet on my roof. At least I did before my pesky neighbors moved out.

talk to a manager, all my personal business through UPS has been fine, there have been a few incidents with my business side, every time something happened the regular customer service agents were never helpful, so i talked to the supervisor and basically said if they werent going to help me i was going to cancel my account and go to a competitor. that seamed to help. i hope you get this resolved.

UPS won't even deliver to my house and I live in a highly populated areas, not the sticks. Anything shipped to me through UPS aways ends up being dropped off at my nearest, maybe 2.5 miles away, USPS and then delivered to my home by my usual mail carrier.

UPS won't even deliver to my house and I live in a highly populated areas, not the sticks. Anything shipped to me through UPS aways ends up being dropped off at my nearest, maybe 2.5 miles away, USPS and then delivered to my home by my usual mail carrier.

It's called, "the last mile." There is a billion dollar contract between UPS and USPS to deliver packages, mostly Amazon parcels,nationwide due to UPS being overwhelmed. Now USPS is more of a parcel delivery system then regular mail.

That sucks on the rifle and the experience, pains me to see something like this on a nicely fabricated stock.

At my work we use UPS exclusively and they have a decent track record considering the volume they ship vs damaged goods. I had no issues putting in claims and getting a refund check here, only issue is that we auto insure our goods at $100/box, so when a more expensive product is damaged, we lose money but at laws of average all works out in the end.

On a side note of packaging, the best packing job I saw was done by Lowes. I recently special ordered a new Toto two-piece toilet from Lowe's online and had it shipped free to a local Lowe's for pick up. When I got there, there were two huge boxes and were all beat up on the outside. For a moment I was ready to put in a pick up claim for a refund but instead I opened the boxes and saw that the real Toto box was inside, separated by 12" of foam peanuts, but the kicker was that they added the spray foam which is used to fill air gaps in homes. So the spray foam bonded all the peanuts together to make solid walls, so there was no movement! It took me good 15 min a box to free the goods but it was worth it. The actual toilet pieces had their own molded foam inside each box as well, so double boxed job was awesome.

I worked at UPS for years. Anything that I ship that is heavy or fragile gets a minimum of expanding foam and extra cardboard sheets between an inner box and an outer box. Stuff I'm really concerned about gets OSB sheets lining the inside of the outer box before the expanding foam. Old pallet wood works too, cheaper but harder to use than OSB sheets.

Shipped a 65# box of organ pipes via the OSB and expanding foam method. They arrived with cardboard missing on part of one side and a hole punched through the OSB, but no damage to the stuff inside.

It's a rough environment sometimes. They send everything down the belt that weighs less than 70#, and some places even the stuff that weighs more than that.

I'm really sorry to hear about your air rifle. That would have never happened.

Top Bottom