What's new

Upper Lip Techniques?

I've now been DE shaving for about 10 days and am consistently getting a better shave than I ever have (basically a DFS with some areas being BBS).
I've settled on a basic 3 pass shave (WTG/XTG/ATG), however XTG above my lip can result in the blade nicking my lip. I'm happy that DE razors have allowed me to go ATG in this area (which I could never do with carts), but looking to get suggestions on what anyone else does in this area to get a closer shave without nicking their lip.

I use my tongue to puff out portions of my lip. That allows me to shave that area without nicking my lips. I just take short strokes and take my time. However, the mustache area is the only place where I may not get a 100% BBS shave.

Never thought of that, but what a great idea! Thanks. This will absolutely help. I'm open to this and any other suggestions from experienced shavers.

It is interesting to see how a little experimenting can work. I always have had a problem getting certain pesky hairs under what my wife calls my "substantial nose." Many of the razor heads were too large to shave there. By using my tongue I was able to get those hairs to pop out more and could then shave them. I have also discovered that for some reason if I use a razor with a larger blade gap, I can't use the razor in upward pass without getting a nick. So, I modify the stroke and go sideways but hold the razor at an upward angle.

I don't worry about it usually. If I do, it's like ackvil does it. I just keep it simple on the day to day, even when I used carts. Especially when I have more nuisance problem areas to worry about.

Neck insights are also welcome, as this is another challenge area. No nicks, but this area is tough to get as close as I'd like. I'm guessing that playing with angles is my best bet.?

Rub your fingers on your neck to find out what is really atg. The beard on your neck grows in different directions.

For the lip I do one down then XTG but at a diagonal. I also start farther out then I need. I found that if I start where I need it I get a nick or cut but starting farther out gives me a buffer zone.

No more cuts.

Awesome. I was going to try XTG at an angle. Starting further out and using the tongue should definitely yield improvements. Thanks!

One thing that can help is to use a razor with a very thin cap, such as a Gillette Tech. This can make getting a proper angle a little easer on the upper lip. Angle and pressure are everything: better to make an extra pass or two than to try to accomplish the same thing with a steeper angle and more pressure.

Also, realize that unless you have a very coarse, fast-growing beard and light-toned skin, a DFS in this area will be indistinguishable from a BBS to anyone but you--or perhaps your date. :biggrin:

First, I look like a drug runner with a moustache, so that is definitely a no go. Second, I understand that a BBS is not necessary, but the challenge of seeking a BBS is part of what is fun for me and keeps me interested. It's like shooting; trying to hit the bull's-eye is the fun part, even if you don't hit it every time.

WTG, XTG, ATG, relathering between passes. XTG may be the most important for me: it reduces the whiskers and sets up a doable ATG pass. Take your time, be patient, no pressure. It took me time, but I now get DFS/BBS here.

Squeeze your nose left and right to get the problem area beneath it. One pass with the grain (downwards) and two more diagonally (for my three pass shave). The moustache area wants you to shave almost sideways and that reduces the weight of the razor making you wanting to apply more pressure, take care to keep that pressure minimal.

Here's a nice video from geofatboy

Top Bottom