What's new

Unexpected surprise for $6.49 Russian Gillette Rubie DE

I bought the razor from this ebay seller together with some mem olive shaving cream and israeli blades. I got the package in about a week. Nice razor too, you can change the handle, I put a Edwin jagger handle on it.

I was looking at the Rubie. Is it similar to this razor?

Attachments

• $Gillette.jpg
    $Gillette.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 295
I'm glad to see that the Russians have not lost their touch. The entire Soviet economy was based on copying western technology. They were VERY good at it. Innovation? Well ...

The razors are identical. I popped the head on a Weber handle tonight for the 3rd straight shave and again another BBS shave. My 180 is not getting any love at all now.

I'm glad to see that the Russians have not lost their touch. The entire Soviet economy was based on copying western technology. They were VERY good at it. Innovation? Well ...

At least now it's produced under license and not a merely copy.

I just ordered one. I liked it so much, I stole the Gillette Rubie tagline:
Для более гладкого бритья
For a smoother shave ...

If you've used the Israeli Crystal blades, can you compare the ones you get with them? I think you are getting the Viking Sword blades, and I've read on here that they are Crystals. I love the Crystals and was just curious if the VS are rebranded Crystals.

No the razor came with Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades, they were really sharp and smooth my only problem was the wax was so thick on one blade it stuck to my TTO doors and made them hard to open I had to use hot hot water to clean them. I forgot when using the Russian blades to hit the blade first with super hot water to melt the wax. I do have some of the Israeli blades(Viking sword) on order and will report back.

Jim

Well I shaved with it again today using my Walmart Wilkinson's since they are my favorite blade and I got a very nice DFS shave. I can confirm these are very mild shavers not sure a heavier handle would change that but I like it especially for under 8 bucks. Not quite as good as my Gillette Super Speeds or Slim but it is better than the Parker TTO I have, again very nice razor it will become my travel razor I might even order another.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm looking forward to any info on Viking Swords as I love the Crystals. I have plenty of the Crystals if you want to trade a pack of the VS when you get them. We can then both compare them to each other and see what we think.

I noticed your signature and while I wasn't in the service, I have a healthy respect for Corpsman and I even say it correctly :lol: One of the fathers on my daughter's soccer team from a few seasons ago is a Corpsman and he is an impressive guy. She banged her knee a little hard and he ran out on the field and was assessing her. I thought it was pretty cool that I had someone of that caliber treating my daughter in the field. Fortunately, he's managed to come back from all of his tours without any visible injuries.

Thank you so much for the kind words, ironically I used to run on the field during my daughters soccer games all the time. :lol:
I sure can swap a pack with you when they come ill PM you.

Again thank you for the kind words it means a lot. Jim

I have just received the razor. Took only 7-8 days. An excellent vendor. He even added a 10 pack of Viking Swords besides 5 Rubie which came with the razor.

Unfortunately, the quality of the razor is not great. The thread in the handle is not aligned perfectly, so the handle wobbles while you screw/unscrew. I am still able to assemble the razor so that it will shave, but... As for the head, the backplate seems to be made of brass. Its thickness is 1.00 mm compared to 1.3 mm for 1953 Tech. Not sure of the material of the cap. It can be zamak or brass. I have no complaints for $7.49 shipped, of course.

Because of this thread just ordered one from the same Israeli guy. Hope this won't break as my crappy Indian Cadet, worm shaft just unwelded from the head. Luckily I kept the handle, will be able to use it in this razor.

Because of this thread just ordered one from the same Israeli guy. Hope this won't break as my crappy Indian Cadet, worm shaft just unwelded from the head. Luckily I kept the handle, will be able to use it in this razor.
I would add another $10 and buy a very nice Tech.
UPDATE. I have just shaved with it. Smooth shave. Seems to be a bit milder than 1953 Tech. The blade aligns better than in a Tech. The profile of the head is lower than one of Tech (thinner cap and back plate). I have replaced the original handle with one from a Chinese razor. The same thread 10-32.

Last edited:
Just tried it, very smooth, very neatly shaved, but quite difficult to rinse out (I used derby cream, maybe I should try something else). But for the price, nice try !

It says on the listing that the seller is away until the 22nd of august, but at that price including shipping its a good deal.

I got mine today. It only took about a week to ship from Israel to Illinois. Very good. I, also, got the free pack of viking blades. Sadly, I rotate razors and blades on Mondays so I won't use it until next week.

I got mine within 2 weeks, from Israel to East Coast CONUS. I will get to try it out this week-end and am looking forward to it. If the shipping gods are kind, I should get to try it out with my new Semogue SOC and my new lather bowl from Jay's Clays. :thumbup:

Well, I got to try it out yesterday. Construction on mine is fine, although the threading requires a careful touch not to cross-thread it. I'm so used to TTO's that thr 3-piece design feels primitivre.

It is definitely light, and thre handle is quite slim but fortunately long. It is also IMO very mild, more so than any of my other razors (Fat Boy, Flair Tip and Weishi 9306F). I will try it a few more times and then I am guessing that it will go into the rotation for occasional use.

All in all, well worth $7.50!

Top Bottom