What's new

Un-safe trucker

like aggressively tailgating the guy in front of you? You seem yo be missing that bit...a lot.

The only thing the OP did wrong was get his phone camera out. The truck driver (in the scenario as described) is completely in the wrong.

I've said right from the beginning that the trucker was an a-hole. I'm not missing that at all... but sometimes the safest thing to do for everyone is to simply let the a-hole be an a-hole and let the next person he encounters deal with it.
We aren't the cops, we aren't the "morality police"... it's not our duty to society to make sure that everyone drives 2mph under the limit.

As for "Google can't produce a single instance" on the speedometer error:

First two pages of Yahoo search under "Speedometer error" (I omitted duplicate hits and hits duplicating manufacturers)
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Speedometer_Error
http://www.my-gti.com/140/volkswagen-speedometer-error-correction
http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandreviews/overdrive/2011/08/speedometer_error_will_it_affe.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070419111918AAjfuPR
http://www.jackphelps.com/vstrom/speedoface.htm
http://www.hondacarforum.com/honda-3/80635-speedometer-error.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/136877-speedometer-error.html

It is in California...

But whether it's the law or not, it's simply common courtesy.
None of us "own" the road. If someone wants to drive faster than you in an unsafe manner, that's their business. If they get a ticket or into an accident because of it, that's their business.

You don't know why they are driving the way they are. Maybe they are just a jerk and HAVE to be ahead of everyone on the road. Maybe they are on their way to see a loved one in the hospital and they just got a call that it won't be much longer.

Aren't we supposed to be gentlemen here?
Why does common courtesy go out the window when we strap ourselves into a steel cage?

Someone driving unsafely, especially in an 18-wheeler, is *everyone's* business.

I was looking for official statements. You presented an opinion as fact and then supported it with more opinions. Again, car enthusiast forums aren't going to hold much water when I adjust my speed upwards of 10% and try to explain common knowledge to the Texas DPS.

It isn't worth arguing. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. We simply disagree.

You are going to pull off over to the right off of THIS road, while travelling 53 MPH? Good luck!
View attachment 241102
Honestly? What I would do and what I have done on a number of occasions....

When traffic ahead is clear, I'll move over as far as possible, motion out my window for the guy to pass, and then slow so the a-hole behind me can make a quick and safe pass.

Ask any law enforcement officer or driving safety instructor and they will tell you the dumbest thing you can do is speed up.
I'm frankly stunned that a professional driver would even consider that an option.

If you are unable to get to the right to let them pass, the correct and recommended answer is to slow down even more, but very gradually.

This opens the gap between you and any traffic in front of you, and both encourages and makes it easier for the tailgater to pass you, and that is what you want.
+10,000

It opens up your gap, and encourages the pass... but it is NOT a "brake check" (which will get you a ticket).
A slow deceleration lets the guy behind know that you don't want him back there without being a moron about it.

Regardless of who is right, who is wrong, who is technically legal, and who is factually legal....

NOBODY wins in an accident except the attorneys and body shops.

The fact that tailgating is illegal in most states and is classified as aggressive driving, and the fact that several people seem to be siding with the aggressive driver in this situation astounds me.

The OP was within 2-3 MPH of the speed limit, which could practically be accounted for as a variance in speedometer readings. The trucker was acting dangerously and refused to back off.

Do we really side with the bully here? The mentality on display in this thread is really confirming my already dim view of most truckers, and this is from someone that's logged tens of thousands of miles himself. Shameful.

:ouch1:

As to the speedometer accuracy issue, I have noticed that the indicated speed (at about 60 mph) in my Subaru Forrester is about 2 mph slower than the speed shown on roadside speed measuring devices which are set up by the Highway Patrol or county sheriff. The indicated speed in SWMBO's Toyota truck always matches the speed shown on the same roadside device.

If nothing else, this does demonstrate that there is a difference in speedometer accuracy from one make (or even model) to another.

eh, you can't have a bag of gravel? Instead of screwing with the camera he should have called the state troopers. I would have considered slowing to a stop on a hill and hoping out with my CCW in my coat and asking him what exactly was his problem. Lot's of these guys are tough as long as they are hiding in a truck but when confronted **** themselves like a little girl.

Have? Yes. Use as implied or outright stated above? Felony in every state that I've ever been in.

Tough guy statements about tossing gravel or pennies or ball bearings (ya, heard it all, usually from bikers, and usually from "bikers" with less than 500 miles under their kidney belt) may have worked 30 years ago when it was you and the road, but as the OP has shown, today nearly everyone has a camera 24/7. Tossing something at a tailgater is the easiest way to flip who is on the wrong side of the law.

Is it worth a felony? Minimum 1 year in prison or probation, lifetime firearms ban, and lifetime loss of the right to vote in many states... all just to win a ---- swinging contest with someone who has no beef with you other than....

...you happen to be driving 10mph slower than he wants to drive.

Big deal! Let him pass when it's safe. Whether you are "right" or not, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by being a jerk about the situation other than increased blood pressure.

I can guarantee you that the truck driver in the video didn't even remember the incident until his boss brought it up (if he did)...
Yet the OP and the fine gents here at B&B are in a tizzy over it.

There are a lot of drivers out there that are a-holes. It goes both ways. Don't be the a-hole driver that says "I'm going fast enough and this jerk behind me is not going to push me faster"

Sorry man... the truck driver was rude and inconsiderate, but so were you.

The speed limit is just the limit to how fast you can legally travel on that roadway. It is not the speed you are required to travel at. In the situation here the truck driver was completely at fault with no wrong doing from the car in front of him, legally, morally, or ethically. The truck driver was an ARB.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, a reminder that argumentative posts are frowned upon at B&B. This is an interesting thread, with diverse opinions. This being the internet, it seems safe to note that the existing opinions of posters will not be swayed by anything written herein :wink: If you've posted in this thread more than a few times, time to step off the gas... er... back off... er... put it in neutral... er... well, you get the idea.

Gentlemen, a reminder that argumentative posts are frowned upon at B&B. This is an interesting thread, with diverse opinions. This being the internet, it seems safe to note that the existing opinions of posters will not be swayed by anything written herein :wink: If you've posted in this thread more than a few times, time to step off the gas... er... back off... er... put it in neutral... er... well, you get the idea.

Clearly the only thing to do when an argument is fast approaching is ACCELERATE! :lol:

Guys, this is really simple. The OP was minding his own business, driving safely and within the posted limits. The truck driver started the incident - and this thread - when he tried to intimidate the OP. (That's a ticket-able offense in most places.) Everything else is irrelevant. The OP had every right to set his speedometer to the speed limit and leave it there for the rest of his journey. Given that there was no other lane to pull into, chances are pretty good that is exactly what I would have done.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And the reason that we have the interstate highway system is to move the military and commerce.
Without OTR trucking, we would still be rolling 2-lane US highways.
very true, but the fact remains- semis do more damage to the road, so they pay more taxes to repair those roads.

Top Bottom