What's new

UFC 101- Contains Spoilers

+1x10^999999999999999999999999

i think people seem to forget that silva is a bjj blackbelt. Forest might have been able to out wrestle him, but...how long before silva tore off a limb for his efforts? I'll agree silva is dasadvantaged on the ground with long limbs, they're easy for the opponent to get alot of leverage on a joint...but there are few with the same caliber ground game, and right now, i'd say no one in his weight class (anywhere in the word) could out strike him.

Silva is a BJJ black belt under the Nogueira brothers and is very dangerous on the ground, but he's most dangerous on his feet striking. In his entire UFC career the only time he was ever in real trouble was on the ground against Travis Lutter. I don't think it's due to his long limbs, I actually think those help in the ground game. I just think that, even as a black belt the ground game is still the weakest part of his game. Not weak at all, but the weakest part of his game. He seems to enjoy knocking opponents out more than submitting them so he may not train the ground as much as standing.

Silva's long limbs may not be a total weakness in his ground game. They also provide more leverage for him. I'd rather keep it standing if I were him, though. Especially since he seemingly can't be touched right now.

Silva's long limbs may not be a total weakness in his ground game. They also provide more leverage for him. I'd rather keep it standing if I were him, though. Especially since he seemingly can't be touched right now.

+1, Many people think they are a BJJ advantage because of the leverage and his flexibility.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMNIT !!!!

Could please someone put a *spolier* warning in the headline?
No hard feelings, but here in germany UFC 101 will not be aired before next month and now I know how the superfight ends...
*smileys here are not sad enough to show what I look like now*

(not that I had already been expecting this kind of ending for the fight)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I didn't for a moment think that Forrest possesed a skill set sufficient to beat Silva, but seeing that tough kid get knocked out so cleanly was a bit surprising.

I called very single fight on this card with the exception of Hendricks/Sadollah.

WEC 42 was much more interesting. I didn't see Bowles doing what he did to Torres, extremely impressive performance. Dominick Cruz looked excellent also against an extremely tough opponent in Joseph Benavidez. There were a couple of questionable split decisions on the bottom of the card, but overall it was an amazing show.

I think the WEC bantamweight division is the most exciting division in the sport right now.

I didn't for a moment think that Forrest possesed a skill set sufficient to beat Silva, but seeing that tough kid get knocked out so cleanly was a bit surprising.

That was my reaction as well. Backing up, with his hands down...throws one crisp, clean shot perfectly placed, and thats it. It was reminiscent of some old Roy Jones Jr. knockouts.

Silva is a BJJ black belt under the Nogueira brothers and is very dangerous on the ground, but he's most dangerous on his feet striking. In his entire UFC career the only time he was ever in real trouble was on the ground against Travis Lutter. I don't think it's due to his long limbs, I actually think those help in the ground game. I just think that, even as a black belt the ground game is still the weakest part of his game. Not weak at all, but the weakest part of his game. He seems to enjoy knocking opponents out more than submitting them so he may not train the ground as much as standing.
No doubt hes a striker at heart. But like a said, they don't give blackbelts in bjj to just anyone.

+1, Many people think they are a BJJ advantage because of the leverage and his flexibility.

Speaking from my own humble training exp;erience(runing 17 years in martial arts, 10 of the mma approach, including wrestling, bjj, thai etc), limbs like silvas are a disadvantage on the ground

i.e. long legs suck if you're trying to put some one in a triangle, you simply cant close it tight enough. He doesn't have a heavy musculature so the problem is compounded.

Long limbs are eaiser to grab hold of, and easier to manipulate in comparison to short, stuby, limbs where the musculature more dense per unit area. opponents with short limbs are very hard to gain leverage on, think of it in the context of an arm bar, as its like fighting a ball of muscle, versus yanking on a crowbar. It can be done on the shorter one, but with considerably more effort. Also, the close into the opponents body the point you're trying to leverage, the more they can use "body english" to resist you. many joint manipulations involve geting the point of interest, isolated from the rest of the body using your own body.

Last edited:
Speaking from my own many years of training(runing 17 years in martial arts, 10 of the mma approach, including wrestling, bjj, thai etc), limbs like silvas are a disadvantage on the ground

i.e. long legs suck if you're trying to put some one in a triangle, you simply cant close it tight enough. He doesn't have a heavy musculature so the problem is compounded.

Long limbs are eaiser to grab hold of, and easier to manipulate in comparison to short, stuby, limbs where the musculature more dense per unit area. opponents with short limbs are very hard to gain leverage on, think of it in the context of an arm bar, as its like fighting a ball of muscle, versus yanking on a crowbar. It can be done on the shorter one, but with considerably more effort. Also, the close into the opponents body the point you're trying to leverage, the more they can use "body english" to resist you.

I disagree. Long limbs can be a huge advantage on the ground once you figure out your game...particularly without the gi.

Its true that long limbs can be easier to grab and manipulate, but they offer several advantages as well.

It is easier to get a triangle with long legs because its easier to slip the arm through. Its easier to finish because of the greater leverage that can be applied. If you're not getting it tight enough its probably because you're squared up with the guy, you've got to get the right angle. Look at a guy like Nate Diaz...his legs are extremely long and his triangles are devastating. Watch the end of the Pellegrino fight if you want to see what I'm talking about...Nate has the arm through from the take down...he shifts his hips and locks it up, then starts cheering before he finishes. Watch closely how he locks it up right before he starts celebrating...then watch how he finishes without even having to pull the head down or the arm over...a short limbed guy can't do that.

Anderson Silva/Travis Lutter is another great example of a tall guy locking up a tight triangle. A guy like Travis Lutter can easily shuck off any triangle that isn't set perfectly. Cole Escovedo is a very long limbed dude who had a ridiculous streak of triangle wins a few years ago.

Arm triangles and other arm chokes are easier with long arms. Long legs allow you to use a body triangle from the back or even the guard to maintain better control and allow better leverage on chokes and other submissions.

As far as defending, long limbed guys tend to have an easier time "slipping" submissions. They tend to be able to rotate their shoulder to prevent their opponent from applying leverage while they switch position and escape.

Last edited:
No doubt hes a striker at heart. But like a said, they don't give blackbelts in bjj to just anyone.

Speaking from my own humble training exp;erience(runing 17 years in martial arts, 10 of the mma approach, including wrestling, bjj, thai etc), limbs like silvas are a disadvantage on the ground

Long limbs are eaiser to grab hold of, and easier to manipulate in comparison to short, stuby, limbs where the musculature more dense per unit area. opponents with short limbs are very hard to gain leverage on, think of it in the context of an arm bar, as its like fighting a ball of muscle, versus yanking on a crowbar. It can be done on the shorter one, but with considerably more effort. Also, the close into the opponents body the point you're trying to leverage, the more they can use "body english" to resist you. many joint manipulations involve geting the point of interest, isolated from the rest of the body using your own body.

They don't give BJJ black belts to anyone, but you have to remember it is subjective. Depending on who you train under the belt may be easier or harder to attain. Also don't forget he has fought some BJJ black belts and never been submitted including a recent win against Shogun. As far as the long limbs being a disadvantage, I think it goes both ways where they may help in some instances and may hurt in some instances, but overall I think they are an asset to a good ground game and make some moves easier to pull off. Also being able to body lock an opponent instead of just clasping your feet together while in guard or attempting a choke is extremely beneficial.

You mean not until September? Wow--that means you won't get 101 until 102 has been seen here? That's brutal.

Actually UFC 101 aired yesterday, I was mistaken with september.
Even though I knew Griffin was gonna get it I enjoyed watching it very much.

If I ever thought a fight in the UFC was faked it was this one.
Amazing performance by Anderson, just like I anticipated.

Forrest did not see the final jab/cross coming!
You can see him trying to make that final step but goes limb,
he defenitely didn´t know where he was or what hit him.
It´s always the punches you don´t see that will put out your lights.
Not much force is needed to KO somebody,
as long as he can´t anticipate. That´s why counters are so effective
and straights often times lead to knockouts in boxing,
much more often than wild hooks.

Unfortunately there were other mismatched fights that night.
But I really liked the Sotiropoulos fight.
That was very skillful grappling right there

I just wanted to share =)

If I ever thought a fight in the UFC was faked it was this one.

I never for a moment thought this was fake. Griffin was rocked a few times before he finally dropped. Having been rocked and having rocked more than one fighter I can tell you that you really have no idea just how bad/wobbly you really are. Griffin simply had his brains scrambled a little bit at a time until it was just too much. The smartest thing he could have done after having his eggs scrambled the first time would have been to try and get it to the ground and give himself time to recover.

I knew before this fight started that it was a bad match up. Silva is a phenomenal striker and Griffin rushes in like a raging bull. I suspected Silva would win, most likely by a KO but I didn't think it would be quite so quick.

I wasn´t referring to the ko but much more to the fact that silva got hit clearly only one single time.
Griffin threw a lot of punches and everyone missed.
I mean, come on he was light heavyweight champion and can´t punch?

That was the moment I thought to myself:
How is that possible, this looks like choreography.
But we all know it was true. Silva was quick this day
and Griffin extremely slow.

I wasn´t referring to the ko but much more to the fact that silva got hit clearly only one single time.
Griffin threw a lot of punches and everyone missed.
I mean, come on he was light heavyweight champion and can´t punch?

That was the moment I thought to myself:
How is that possible, this looks like choreography.
But we all know it was true. Silva was quick this day
and Griffin extremely slow.

Some people are harder to hit than others. And Griffin is not really known as a great striker, especially against the likes of Silva. He's known for being tough.

Besides, why in the world would you have Forrest throw the fight? Money is to be made when the favorite loses.

What the MMA hype machine does produce are fights that look to be much more even than they actually are. The promotion incessantly boosts the challenger, suggesting that every advantage held by the favorite is balanced by some ability of the underdog. So, even if you can check the disproportionate odds on a sports betting site, you'll hear the MMA pundits say that the fight is going to be close. This shouldn't come as any surprise, and it's good business for somebody like the UFC. After all, if they advertise "Anderson Silva's Bum of the Month Club," nobody is going to buy the PPV. The boosting continues on through the broadcasts because the announcers are also UFC flunkies, not independent sportscaster. If you know something about MMA, this isn't much of a problem; for the average fan, I think that it's easy to get caught up in the hype.

Here in germany there is no such thing as a hype.
In fact if somebody speaks of sports you better not mention
"oh I like MMA" because you will have to answer to questions as
"Why? It´s so cruel! There are no rules! People get hurt! It´s barbaric"
... yeah, right, what do you like?
"well, I like pro wrestling..."
(true story -.- )

That´s why if a fight is shown in TV here all you get is:
"blabla, saturday night: UFC 101 with Anderson Silva, BJ Penn and Forest Griffin"
that´s it.

btw. I hope nobody thinks I wanted to say UFC was faked.
I just wanted to say I felt like "wow"

Some people are harder to hit than others. And Griffin is not really known as a great striker, especially against the likes of Silva. He's known for being tough.

+1 Griffin is a beast. He is definitely one of the toughest SOB's in MMA. He was just out skilled by Silva.

Top Bottom