What's new

Twisted Walking Sticks

Just recently I found a few twisted sticks that I can make into walking sticks..Anyone ever do this or have some experience at this.. ???I'm really no woodworker, but these are really beautiful!! I would really like to learn to do these proper..
I have finished one, it was on the ground awhile, and my etching skills are 2nd grade at best..
upload_2017-2-18_8-6-47.png
twisted sticks 002.JPG

strop

Now half as wise
Most of the walking sticks like this that I have seen do not have the bark on them. If the ones in your picture are green wood, then you may have to let them dry for several weeks, if not months, so that the bark will peel off easily. At that point you can sand them smooth and apply a finish of your choice. My preference for this would be multiple coats of boiled linseed oil.

Yes sir they are green, cut them out of the woods myself. So I should wait until they are "seasoned", peel the bark and coat with boiled linseed oil..
Waiting is the hardest part, patience is not my virtue!! Thanks for the tips!!

What strop said. Hardest part is the wait. May take up to a year. Do some Google searches for drying wood, you may be able to speed the process by rigging some lights over a foil lined section of gutter or by placing the partially dried wood on the package shelf of your car in the sun in the summer.

Just don't go too fast to create cracks.

Most of the walking sticks like this that I have seen do not have the bark on them. If the ones in your picture are green wood, then you may have to let them dry for several weeks, if not months, so that the bark will peel off easily. At that point you can sand them smooth and apply a finish of your choice. My preference for this would be multiple coats of boiled linseed oil.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting! Good luck.

Always cooler to use something you make yourself. Do a paracord handle wrap!

Consider working a flint and steel into one; or a titanium match capsule ... But not a cheapo compass; that's ... Gauche.

I saved a Japanese rifle nose cap I was going to mount on such a stick ... Why you say? In a flash you could mount a bayonet on your walking stick, making a sheath knife into a spear.

AA

My first attempt at making a walking stick resulted in some cracking in the ends after drying. After that, I cut a piece of timber longer than needed and eventually trimmed the ends when cured. I also peeled off the bark right away using a knife when needed. Sanding the sticks until 100% smooth took a while to finish. I also stained some sticks that I thought were too light in color and finished it off with a few coats of polyurethane varnish.

Interesting! Good luck.

Always cooler to use something you make yourself. Do a paracord handle wrap!

Consider working a flint and steel into one; or a titanium match capsule ... But not a cheapo compass; that's ... Gauche.

I saved a Japanese rifle nose cap I was going to mount on such a stick ... Why you say? In a flash you could mount a bayonet on your walking stick, making a sheath knife into a spear.

AA

Great idea, I just figured out how to use a flint and steel this winter, didn't use a lighter one time to start a fire in the fireplace..real test will come outside camping this spring..
Thought about just putting a 10 penny nail in the bottom of one, that get someone's attention real quick..bayonet would have em running for sure!!

I keep meaning to post a pic of my walking stick. Maybe I'll remember tonight. A friend's Dad made it for me when I was in high school. It's made from a Twisted Willow branch. I never heard of such a tree until he told me about them. I read later that they are also called Curly Willows or Corkscrew Willows.

I love the wood you have found. It's so unique. I think the natural beauty of it should be left as is. Don't carve them. Just sand and finish.... Done!

I would strip them soon. Bark comes off much easier. Might coat the ends with wax to prevent splitting. Throw them in the garage attic, and you'll have some nice stuff to work with next spring.
Good luck!
Mark

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
wscottb7862 posted a picture here.

It was the 1st picture, and it was 20.7 mb. That is gigantic and it looks like a record to me.

I've made a few walking sticks, and my procedure was to peel the bark immediately (it will take a good knife). It's important to get all the bark and sub-bark off so you're down to bare wood.

Dig a shallow trench and line with an old shower curtain or other waterproof barrier, and fill with salt water. Put the stick(s) in the water, cover, and leave them for a few weeks. Then let the sticks dry in a garage, attic, or other very dry area for a few more weeks. Then you are free to sand and apply the finish of your choice.

In my experience, using saltwater seems to dry the wood out more evenly, minimizing stress cracks.

20170227_071815.jpg
Thank you gentlemen for your comments and expertise regarding this issue!!! Great tips!! Awesome walking stick also loves the curves and bends.
First ever try at carving a "wood-spirit" last night.. hopefully I'll be able to carve one on a twisted stick.

Top Bottom