What's new

Turning resin shaving brushes

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. But anyway I've been considering turning my own resin shaving brush handles as a hobby for a while now (because why not [emoji1]). Any website or member who can get me started with instructions?

I assume you already have a lathe. If not, a mini-lathe is sufficient for brush handles, pens, ornaments, etc. There are acrylic blanks that can be used to turn handles.

Sent via mobile - Chris

There is a sub forum at the bottom of this forum that deals with brush making a restoration. You may get more response there.

Some things to ask that may help with your decision:

Are you going to buy turning blanks or pour your own resin?

Already asked is if you have a lathe, but add to that what kind of lathe do you have?

Are you already skilled using whatever type of lathe you have in mind?

Good morning [MENTION=111436]Emzed[/MENTION]! I moved this thread to our Brush Making & Restoration sub forum. There's quite a few chaps here that make their own handles. We also have some great vendors that can offer their advice too (such as Rudy Vey). Good luck sir! And as always, we love pics!

Thanks for moving this to the correct forum!
In an answer to the various questions above :
- i have no experience using a lathe
-plan to buy a mini lathe and use acryclic blanks. If initial attempts go well, will probably move on to pouring my own resin

Last edited:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thanks for moving this to the correct forum!
In an answer to the various questions above :
- i have no experience using a lathe
-plan to buy a mini lathe and use acryclic blanks. If initial attempts go well, will probably move on to pouring my own resin

There are quite a few YouTube videos to watch and learn from. Have you had the chance to watch any ?

Here is a link for shaving brush turning blanks

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=shaving+brush+turning+blanks

In the past I also bought some from Exotic Blanks but I can't find any there today.
+1 for PSI. It's one of the most reasonably priced places for woodworking supplies. For lathes, purchasing a used unit can be advantageous. You can find out how you like turning before investing more into a nice one. Also, I am a big proponent of wearing a full face mask. A chunk of acrylic or wood can fly off a lathe at a pretty good speed and you don't want to risk your eyes.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Good luck on your project, I've been interested in this and hand tying knots. Unfortunately loose badger hair seems difficult to acquire due to laws and regulations

+1 for PSI. It's one of the most reasonably priced places for woodworking supplies. For lathes, purchasing a used unit can be advantageous. You can find out how you like turning before investing more into a nice one. Also, I am a big proponent of wearing a full face mask. A chunk of acrylic or wood can fly off a lathe at a pretty good speed and you don't want to risk your eyes.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Always wear a mask! I had a handle blow apart at well over 3000rpm and a big sharp chunk hit me in the forehead with a heckuva thud. A mask also protects the forehead and front top of your head. If I was just wearing safety glasses I would've required stitches at the very least. It only happened once out of very many turnings, but it made it worthwhile to wear a mask every time.

Also a cheap 10" wood lathe from Harbor Freight is only $160 during their monthly 20% off sales. It's a cheap way to get started and leaves money for the other accessories like a chuck, collet, forstner bit, and of course, tools. If it's not for you, you can sell the lot & not be out a lot of cash. If you decide to step up to a Jet or Rikon, the HF makes a great multi-wheel buffing station. Many folks, myself included, have done exactly that.

Last edited:
-1 on penn state industries (PSI) the biggest but not the best. www.woodturnerscatalog.com is the one I order 95% of my supplies.
My a professional woodturning/teacher. I have made 100's of shaving brushes and sold them on online for years (just stopped because of health problems). My 2 cents is that a Lathe is a quarter of the money needed to do the hobby/craft, drill press, band saw or chop saw, lathe tools, etc. etc. upward of a $1000 needed if you plan to do more then make just a few for fun.
If your in the USA look into the American Association of Woodturners (AAW) find a local chapter, we teach turning for free to youth and most Clubs (chapters) have help for adults (sometimes need to be a member). Also if in USA Rockler and Woodcraft have classes and the salesperson will be happy to help with question and ALL you need to buy.
Do a YouTube search for "turning shaving brush" and you will find 100's of videos.
You can message me here if you have detailed question. Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom