What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

Good evening everyone. Well tonight was my last shave with the slant. My another pretty good have! I had to work overnight last night and couldn't get a good shave so my face was in pretty rough shape tonight so I did have more weepers than usual but that's to be expected. Overall I have every intention on buying one (I have my eye on one at the moment and maybe my wife will let me pull the trigger on it :001_tongu. So @Avvatar you should have a pm in your inbox so I can get this sent out to you! Thank you for letting me get in on this! I have definitely enjoyed it!

It's my turn at bat already!?!? Woot! Thanks for the opportunity, @bobmsp.
Any tips you fellas can give me? I'm excited to try one, but a bit scared that I'll forget it's slanted and cut my neck open.
Anyhow, I'll let y'all know when it gets here and we'll see how this whole thing goes.

Shave it like you own it. It is a pretty easy learning curve, and I would put your favorite blade in it to start. Make sure you use your regular technique, there is no different skill needed.
I can say that thanks to bobmsp ' generosity.

Thanks for the advice, guys. It just looks like the kind of thing that will peel your face. Then there's a spring loaded de blade...

So the slant got here yesterday. I took it out and looked at it and showed my wife. Her response was "What the...? Why? "
So I explained about torquing the blade and angle and what not. She's a DE user as well and is anxious to see how it goes. I am too! I'm a night shaver, so I'll update tonight.

Now some kind, perhaps psychic person included both Astra and Shark blades. Unbeknownst to you, dear sir, I just finished a sampler and am trying to decide between these two blades for my first 100 blade order. But have never had the chance to use them back to back. If you don't mind, I will let the slant decide. This adds an extra bit of excitement to my experience!
Anyhow, I have some outdoor work to do today, so I'll get a good shave tonight. I'll check back afterwards.

OK, fellas! Gather round and hear the tale of the Great Travelling Slant Shaving Adventure!

I knocked a few days growth down with the clippers and then soaked my brush and Williams. I loaded up a Shark Super Chrome into the slant. Lather lather lather, brush brush brush. HERE WE GO!
I took a second to line up the blade with my sideburns and removed whiskers with ease. Seriously, I don't know if it was the new Shark or the razor, but WOW! I shaved fast! I did a three pass with a few touch ups in like 20 minutes which is pretty darn fast for me. I was amazed by how the angle of the head seemed to fit the curves of my face effortlessly. Stunning!
I really enjoyed this shave. I look forward to the next shave and fixing a few mistakes I think I made. Thanks for the opportunity, @bobmsp !

Great to see the razor is moving along and with positive results. I loved using the Astra SPs in it as well as Derbys (which surprised me because I hate the blades).

The slant actually opened my eyes to the Derby's. And I must say I think they have become my blade of choice. I put one in my 34c and it gave me a very smooth shave and I was able to do 3 complete passes comfortably (never been able to do that before). So I think derbys are going to be a common staple in my shave setup!

Today's shave was the same setup except an Astra SP. Ow.
Bad shave. No good. Bad. Ow.
Don't know why. Will try again in a day or two. Ow.

The last shave I had was with a Derby in that dicker. Decent, but not as good as the Shark. It's a different shave, for certain. I liked it, but I'm still on the fence about buying one.

Traveling Slant Passaround:
Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

1. Mitretnuh (holding)
2. WarriorMonk

Top Bottom