What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

Alright, so after a little shipping mishap on my part I got the razor on my doorstep this morning.

First impressions of the razor was the weight. This is only my second DE razor to shave with, my daily is the Standard Razors aluminum in black. The handle is also shorter than I am used to.

For my first shave I went with Proraso White and the Rockwell blade that was in the package. Overall a smooth shave and I just let the weight carry it down. Very smooth on the first pass. The neck did hit a few weepers, especially near the adams apple, where I noticed a little chatter. This was also 4 days of growth. I did not notice any need for many touch ups. Just the usual ATG at the jaw line.

Overall and with a bit of practice I think this would be a better overall shave than what I use daily. I will try one of my Platinum Blues tomorrow and report back.

For my second day I ran a different setup than I stated.

All the hardware and software was the same except the blade, where I used a new Feather. Not as aggressive as it normally is, which was surprising. However I have read that Feather and Derby blades perform better in a slant, which is why I opted to give it a go. I had a couple of nicks on the neck and again near the adams apple, this one I felt the moment it happened, I got sloppy.

It really is a let the weight do the work, and I haven't had any issue with the angle.

I am going to skip the shave tomorrow to let my neck rest then run it again on Sunday morning with another blade. At that time I will clean it up and get it moving again.

Welcome aboard!

Here's the current list:

1. valthun - holding (delivered)
2. Mcmen4my
3. Jphilbeck
4. Mitretnuh
Last: bobmsp
[/QUOTE]

Well I guess you can take me off of the list since I just ordered three slants today. Yes I know I am impatient. Can't wait to try them!

Well I guess you can take me off of the list since I just ordered three slants today. Yes I know I am impatient. Can't wait to try them![/QUOTE]

I know that feeling. I'm definitely getting ancy and can't wait to try it out! What did you end up getting?

OK, here's the current list:

1. valthun - holding
2. Mcmen4my
3. Mitretnuh

@Jphilbeck Make sure you report back. We're always interested in hearing opinions about slants!

OK, here's the current list:

1. valthun - holding
2. Mcmen4my
3. Mitretnuh

@Jphilbeck Make sure you report back. We're always interested in hearing opinions about slants!

Will do! I am very curious as my dad's side is German and we know how German engineering is. Can't wait to try them and if I don't like them I will just throw them in the "it was fun to try" pile. I honestly know that nothing can displace my Timeless but it is fun having a little variety now and then.

On my third shave I went with the Gillette Platinum Blue. All the other software stayed the same. One small nick on my chin. Again there was some chatter and it was louder than that blade normally is. I am pretty certain at this point that a slant is in my future. When that future is I cannot say, but it will there.

I have reached out to Mcmen4my to get his address and I will ship it out as soon as I get that information.

OK Ladies and Germs - last call on the traveling slant. Sign up now or face the consequences of having to buy your own!

Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

valthun - in transit to Mcmen4my
1. Mcmen4my
2. Mitretnuh

Today I received the razor! I was ecstatic to see it. So I will use it tomorrow and go from there! I will do a couple of shaves before I review it if that is ok? I will plan on mailing it out to @Mitretnuh mext Wednesday!

sounds good. And, as you can see, there's not a giant line waiting for the razor so if your schedule slips by a day or two life will go on.

Just had my first shave with the slant. Wow! I was really impressed by the smoothness. I feel a tad bit of razor burn on my neck line. I used Astra SP for my blade so I think my next shave I may try derby or even Gillette 7 o'clock. Haven't quite decided yet (any recommendation would be great!). I did 3 passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG). I can definitely tell a difference between the slant and my Merkur 34c that I usually use. This one may have to get added to the list of must haves. I will continue to review as I do more shaves. I won't be shaving again until Sunday as I like to let my face rest over the weekend. So that will be my next review post! Thanks!

Tonight's shave:

Oh my goodness! I think I have struck gold! Tonight I decided to used a derby blade (I've never tried derby before) and I must say I thane never had my skin feel so smooth after a shave as I have tonight. I haven't shaved since Thursday night so I had quite a bit of growth and the 37c and derby cut right through it. This has definitely made me want to buy a slant and also buy more derby blades! I have a couple more shaves with this and I plan to mail it out to @Mitretnuh on Thursday at the latest!

Attachments

• IMG_4707.JPG
    IMG_4707.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Top Bottom