What's new

Traveling Slant - Try Before You Buy

For me, I don't like the performance of most shave balms as much as I like the splashes. I've tried most store bought balms, and none seemed to do the trick, and several caused rashes. I do have some Captain's Choice Bay Rum balm, and while it works well, I don't see it doing as well as the Cat o' 9 Tails. Chiseled Face Sherlock splash works the best, but I like the Co9T scent way, way better, and it's performance is great.

2-2-2017

Second shave: Feather razor.

Got a little ahead of myself. I was planning on using the Feather blade that someone along the line generously added to the package last, but it had been a long time since I've gotten to shave with one, and in my considerably less aggressive Edwin Jagger worked tremendously. Wound up with a little redness and a few weepers along with my close shave. A little disappointed with myself, since it has been a while since I've gotten more than one nick or redness with a shave, and to get both...ugh. Broke out the Chiseled Face Sherlock on this one, since it's the AS that's proven itself to be the best performer for my skin. Glad I waited until evening to do this, hate to be walking around looking like a day one goof, hahaha. Again, really pleased with the razor's performance.

Wow. Are we getting to the end of the line? I'll hold it open for a little while, but if no-one else is interested I guess this passaround will end after Mitretnuh's turn.

Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

1. adrian jordan - holding
2. thejarred
3. @Mitretnuh
Last: bobmsp

Last edited:
2-4-2017

Third shave: Astra SP razor.

Few more nicks with this one. This was the second razor I pulled from the 5 pack, as I tossed the first since the edge on one side was visibly flawed. Much like the Feather, a few bleed-worthy nicks, a couple of small red patches, but a very close, smooth shave. Red spots are already starting to fade, though I can feel a little irritation on my off-hand side cheek.

Rules:

1. If you already have slant razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for slant newbies (you may have extensive non-slant experience, but not slant experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must have 3 months membership and have 50 posts before the time you are to receive the razor.
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. Make sure you copy @bobmsp on all all PMs relating to where the slant is going so that he can follow up in case something happens to the slant.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the slant, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

I will do my best to administer this thread, but will rely on the participants to self manage and respect the rules of the pass around.

Here's the current list:

1. adrian jordan - holding
2. thejarred
3. [MENTION=73442]valthun[/MENTION]
4. @Mitretnuh
Last: bobmsp

I'm not in a hurry to close it. When everything is done, I'll probably donate the slant to the Sue Moore Auction.

Had my first shave with the slanted today.
It went unexpectedly well. No weepers or irritation on my neckline. I even used a derby blade which have performed horribly for me in the past. I'm very impressed by it. Got a DFS after my second pass.

Second shave today (haven't been able to shave since I cut my hand open)

Good shave, lots of weepers on the neck, guess the same derby blade couldn't hold up! Face area is flawless.
PMing @bobmsp & @valthun to get this razor moving!

I have read plenty on slants and the science behind it seems spot on. I have been curious and almost ordered a couple. Would love to try first so if this is still going I would love to get in.

I have read plenty on slants and the science behind it seems spot on. I have been curious and almost ordered a couple. Would love to try first so if this is still going I would love to get in.

Welcome aboard!

Here's the current list:

1. valthun - holding (delivered)
2. Mcmen4my
3. Jphilbeck
4. Mitretnuh
Last: bobmsp[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom