What's new

Traveling OC - Try Before You Buy

Okay, SOTD #2: I'm not sure how to tell the two Gillette's apart, but I used this one (image from post 250):

I think that's the LC New?

Yup that is a LC New. My everyday razor. As for the Old Type I personally find the angle much shallower. Think of shaving with a straight, helped me find the right angle on my Old Type Bulldog. Everyone that Gillette was trying to covert when the Old Type was produced was shaving with straights.

Think of shaving with a straight, helped me find the right angle on my Old Type Bulldog. Everyone that Gillette was trying to covert when the Old Type was produced was shaving with straights.

That makes a lot of sense, about the angle. Is this how aggressive the famed R41 is?

Just got reminded from Gig that I signed up for this, what a pleasant surprise. And the timing is perfect, I just sent my oldest my first Merkur as he was expressing interest in shaving using more traditional methods. Now I am down to one and was thinking of picking up a new OC. Funny how things work out some time. As soon as they get here I'll try each and post my results.

SOTD 4 - Parting is such sweet sorrow.
Gillette Platinum, Proraso, AoS balm, TOBS Eton College

To me, there was a clear frontrunner of the three - the Long Comb. I had great control over it and got a great shave as a result (a little irritation on my neck to be honest though). I have them sanitizing now, hoping that I'm not spoiled when I go back to my R89. I don't actually "need" open comb in the regards of growth, but that little touch more aggressiveness did me well.

Oh, and to whomever put the Personnas in the "goodie bag" - which ones are they? It could be one of several (Barber, Med, Lab) as far as I can tell, or one I don't know about. I'm going to trade one for a Feather blade when I pass it along, but I'd like to know which one I'm trying in the future.

Enjoy them, waterdog, I'll PM you the tracking number once they go out.

I found out after the PO closed that the package is in, so I am heading there this morning to pick it up. I am resisting the urge to clear the stubble so that I can try one of the OC's today and will report back.

Package was received in great shape, thank you Gig!
Started out with the Merkur, as I've been thinking of getting one, loaded with an Astra SP. It shaves real well, very consistent, even on my neck. Best shave so far on my neck, it seemed to find all the strays that usually get missed. It didn't shave as close as my daily Knack though, very consistent but not super close. I would love to have this razor as a weekly clean up, or use it on the first two passes and finish with the Knack. No matter what, I now know I must have an OC. Thank you to all involved!! This is an awesome way to try out an OC before committing to a purchase just to see if it works for you or not.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I wanted to try an Open comb and saw a Old Style on Ebay and thought it would be as mild as my Tech. I was wrong oh so very wrong. I am still working on technique with it and I will get it just fun trying new things. Really fun to see others reviews of this OT razor

Today's shave was with the short comb and oh what a difference! For me the consistency was less than the Merkur but the closeness of the shave was amazing. The statement earlier in the thread that mentions the market for these razors were straight users really makes sense. The blade is more exposed and more attention is needed than with the Merkur or my Knack, having a bar seems another step of safety in the safety razor design. Tomorrow I will either use the short or long comb, decision to be made at oh-dark-thirty tomorrow while still kinda groggy, lol. Looks like an OC will be added to the stable in the future, just going to see which type works best for me.

JohnG10 - What I found was the Merkur does a great job at quickly knocking down stubble while being mild. I was able to go ATG on my neck with a bit of comfort. It worked best for me to go first two passes with the Merkur OC then finish up with my daily Knack as the Merkur did not give the smoothest shave. Consistent shave yes, all hairs were just a bit above the skin, not BBS. Worked great and I would use one to get a quick decent shave or use to knock down a few days growth. Wasn't a BBS shaver for me.
Now the other two. BBS shaves all day. The short comb worked better for me, the long comb seemed a little more forgiving. With both the ATG on the neck was a bit like any other razor I've used, rough but workable. I have thick, dense neck hairs that grow S-N and lay against the skin and it normally takes a bit of work to get the neck smooth.
As for shaving the rest of the face with the OC's, I will have to agree with the statement "Remember that these razors were marketed to straight razor users." There is a closeness with the blade that is absent with a bar comb, I do like that. It feels as if I am in more control, yet have the "safety" of the comb to help keep me from doing too much damage.
Sorry I haven't posted more, life issues. So I have a PM into rbfish to get an address but have not heard back. Should I continue waiting or contact the next name on the list?

6/4/14 Update:
rbfish has contacted me and the razors will be shipping tomorrow.

Last edited:
I herd from rbfish. He has been on vacation. He will be sending the OCs to me soon. I will keep you posted.

Larry

I got the package the other day. I tried the old type, and the angle is much different than what i am used to and the sweet spot is small. It took a bit but i got a very nice shave. It is not as aggressive as the razors i have been using lately (a cadet, goodwill, and 40 super speed). It is nice to test out, but not one that needs to be added to my den.

who is next on the list?

I think it's me :)
The last list is at the top of page 14, and I requested to be added on the bottom of page 14. Not sure if the list on the top of page 14 missed anyone or not though...

The 3 razors are on their way to JohnG10. They should be there Saturday.

For me the New long comb is the only one of the three that worked well enough to consider adding to my den. The old type and the Merkur are a little to mild for me. I prefer a more aggressive razor.

Who is next after JohnG10?

The package arrived a few days ago, and I learned several things:

The 33c is easiest for me to get no weepers, but doesn't shave as close (I get 5 o'clock shadow sooner).
I really like the weight, it's noticeable heavier than the vintage gillettes, and noticeably lighter than my weber ph.
The handle is annoyingly long, but I can grip it 1" in from the end :)

The New (which I believe is a long comb since the teeth curve downward quite a bit) shaves well, but is a little too aggressive for daily use for me. Definitely the best of the three for me !

The Old, requires a shallower shaving angle (handle more parallel to the floor) - But shaves about like the New when used that way. It's not lots more aggressive in my opinion. It does take a noticeable amount of more careful use / concentration to keep the blade angle from being too upright and then either scraping or nicking the skin if you use too much pressure. I had hoped the different blade angle would help with my hairs that grow flat along my skin, but it didn't....

Who's next ? PM me your address and I'll mail them out :)

I read the posts back to where I asked to be added to the list --- and it doesn't appear that anybody is on the list after me...
So if you meet the criteria listed in OKAllen's post a few pages ago, then you could be next. Right now, no waiting :)

Top Bottom