What's new

Traveling OC - Try Before You Buy

Not long ago I purchased an Old Type OC razor for cheap at my local Antique Store. I did this because I wanted to see what an OC razor was like and it was cheap - a couple of bucks. I liked it a lot, so I have purchased a few other OCs that are in better shape - Senator, Old Type in better shape, NEW SC & looking for a NEW LC.

I have shaved with this razor and it shaves very well. It is pretty ratty looking, but I liked the way it shaves. I am not a fan of the light weight handle, but love the common bar handle on my NEW Deluxe razors and the overall weighting of my Senator.

I have heard several guys (gals?) on B&B say they would like to try an OC, but don't want to spend the bucks on one to find they don't like it. I am giving my cheapo Old Type to the B&B community. I have discussed this idea with the mods, so it is cool to post this here. Here is the deal.

Note: There is an amended set of rules for this pass-a-round by OKAllen
Link to post with amended rules here

Here are the original rules for this thread:

1. If you already have OC razor experience, please do not participate in this thread. It is for OC newbies (you may have extensive non-OC experience, but not OC experience.)
2. To participate in this thread, you must meet the qualifications to sell items on B/S/T. (45 days a member and 50 posts).
3. Participation is for CONUS members only - to keep costs down and the razor moving to as many participants as possible.
4. Post in this thread that you would like to try the razor.
5. I will periodically put together a consolidated list in a single post.
6. PM me when you get the razor so I can keep the list updated.
7. Your cost in this is the cost to post the razor to the next person on the list. It is also your responsibility to PM that person to get their address.
8. You are responsible for cleaning/sanitizing the razor when you get it and before you send it out.
9. Please shave with it for about a week and then pass it along to the next person on the list. This is not your personal razor, so please don't keep it for more than a week. (I understand many of us travel so, if the razor arrives and you are out of town the time at your house may go a bit longer, but please be considerate of those after you on the list.)
10. Please post your experience with the razor in this thread. Did you like the OC, hate it, plan to get one, which model, etc.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,338
Last edited by a moderator:
That Old Type is pretty awesome looking. It looks like it barely survived a Star Trek transporter malfunction. What could have melted the handle like that?

That Old Type is pretty awesome looking. It looks like it barely survived a Star Trek transporter malfunction. What could have melted the handle like that?

Just guessing, but it probably had a crack and the owner decided to reshape the ring to fix the crack.

I just wanted to give an update. I received the pass around OC razor and gave it a try last night. Here is my SOTD.

Gillette OC head, EJ DE89 Handle
Palmolive Stick
EJ Silvertip Brush
Astra SP blade

This was my first shave with the OC and the Palmolive. Things did not turn out well. I only have to shave every other day so my beard is not very course and I would not say I have overly sensitive skin either. This razor head feels much more aggressive than my DE89 head. I could tell by the first pass (WTG) that it’s noticeably more aggressive and efficient than my current setup. With extreme caution I continued.

I’ve only been DE shaving for about 6-7 months so my technique is still getting dialed in however last night’s shave was pretty brutal. I ended up with about 10 weeper and nicked the spot under my nose as I was shaving my upper lip. The OC design, for me, really allows me to feel the blade cutting which is nice as it will let you know if you’re putting pressure on the head. The audible feedback is also well pronounced with this head. The efficiency of this razor is pretty impressive. Overall, I had a very un-enjoyable shave that resulted in lots of weepers, a nick, and irritated skin. Once I used some Witch Hazel then followed it with some Nivea balm and my skin relaxed a little I had a VERY smooth face. Possibly the smoothest face I’ve ever had since I started DE shaving.

I won’t have to shave again until tomorrow night but I’ll use the razor again with a Wilk Sword blade this time (my preferred blade) and see how things fair.

BrianC - sorry for the rough shave. Hopefully Wednesday's shave will be a bit more dialed in for you. What I found was that with the OC style razor, you really have to pay more attention to the amount of pressure you use.

As there has been nobody else signing up for a try at the OC, take your time and see if you can dial it in. There is nobody to send it to at this point anyway.

I would be interested in trying this but am in no hurry. The shave sabbatical started today so unless I can trade for one, I would be adding it to my Christmas list.

A few months ago I was debating between trying OC and slant razors, ending up with a 37c. It is more efficient than my EJ89 but I usually get some irritation with it. Seems it really likes the "no pressure" shave rule. That being said I am still curious about OC razors.

SOTN

MWF
EJ Badger brush
Gillette OC with EJ Handle
Wilkinson Sword blade
Clubman aftershave

Last night’s shave was better but not perfect. I decided to use MWF since it’s a tried and true performer in my den and I knew it would give me some extra cushion and glide. The shave was ok, I still had some weepers but only 2-3 at the most. I could tell my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and last pass my skin was getting tired and irritated.

In the end, I was left with a pretty smooth shave that took quite a bit of focus with the razor. I splashed on the Clubman and the fire set in. I got the alcohol burn for a good 3-5 seconds then it stopped so I gave it another go and had a second splash. Little to no burn at all.

Once my skin had time to relax over the next hour or so before bed, I could tell the razor did a really nice job on getting close. Overall while this razor seems aggressive, if you respect it and pay close attention to it you can get a really close shave out of it. I’m going to continue to use it and hopefully dial it in a little further to see if I can get another BBS shave with no irritation or weepers.

Thanks again for letting me use the razor.

I'd be interested in getting on the list. I've only tried a slim and a tech. An open comb is most definitely on my list to try someday.

I'd like to be added too. I've been thinking about trying an open comb but wasn't sure about buying one. Glad I found this thread!

OK, we are starting to get some traction with this thread. Here is a table we can use to track the razor and general comments. I will update this periodically. Based on BrianC's results (and the fact that not everybody shaves daily), we may need to allow a bit more than a week for a fair trial.
PositionScreen NameGeneral Result
1Shutterbug57Liked the shave, bought several OCs
2BrianCDialing it in - results TBD
3jhadsell1883
4athari
5Jvasky

BrianC, glad to see that the shave is getting better for you. Hopefully the next one it'll click and you'll get a great smooth shave!

This always happens to me on these try before you buy threads but I reckon I'll have to be removed from this list. I was at a flea market and found a like new OCMM for cheap so I couldn't resist. And I was looking forward to this too!

This always happens to me on these try before you buy threads but I reckon I'll have to be removed from this list. I was at a flea market and found a like new OCMM for cheap so I couldn't resist. And I was looking forward to this too!

The OCMM is a SE, this is a DE. They may be different enough, you can stay on the list. We need pics BTW. The OCMM is supposed to be a nice razor.

FSOTN – Final Shave of the Night

Last night was the final shave with the OC razor. I plan on shipping it out today to the next person on the list.

TABAC
Derby Extra Blade
EJ Imitation Horn Silvertip brush
EJ DE89 Handle on the OC Head
Pinaud Clubman splash

Had the normal routine of showering then shaving off 2 days’ worth of growth. I’ve got some misc. blades in the stash so I thought I’d throw a not so popular blade in the OC head to see if it can make a bad blade work well.

While the shave started out just fine (TABAC, I mean how can it be bad right?) until I nicked my Adam’s apple on my first pass. This was completely my fault. The first two passes overall where really good, no weepers, no nicks and little to no irritation. This surprised me with the Derby blade. I started my third pass and I could tell the derby didn’t like cutting ATG very much however it wasn’t irritating at all.

My upper lip was the worst as it always is. It just didn’t want to cut the hair. I did a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] XTG pass (nose to ear this time) to take more hair off and then re-lathered for ATG. No problems after that.

Overall, I had a couple of weepers under my jaw (this is normal since I can’t ever seem to get all of my hair knocked down there) but the splash of Pinaud at the end had some burn but not as bad as the first couple of shaves.

I would consider myself an OCC now, Open Comb Convert.

Thank you for the opportunity to try this razor. I'll now be on the hunt for on of my own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom