What's new

Traveling Ink Box (US) Part II

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Ladies & Gents,

The traveling ink box is coming back! It's been hibernating in Canada for a little while now, but we have the go ahead to bring it back to the States. We'll keep the package from being shipped for at least a week to give the opportunity for members to signup. Please, read the rules carefully if you wish to participate.

To quote from [MENTION=13485]andrew98[/MENTION]

If you're going to play, here are the Rules:

1) The person receiving the ink pays for shipping. (There may be an exception for the first participant)
2) Use a sturdy box for shipping.
3) Make sure you wrap each bottle of ink in cling film, then bubble wrap.
4) Send the box via UPS or FedEx.
5) If the box gets beat up in transit, replace it with one in better condition.
6) Keep the box of ink for no more than one week.
7) If you decide to keep a bottle or two, replace them with an equivalent number of bottles (or more) from your collection.
8) Make a post in this thread requesting an "I'm next" when you're ready to ship the box of ink.
9) Coordinate paypal payment and get the next person's address via private message (not in this thread).
9) Ship the box of ink promptly.
10) If we reach a stage where no one wants to be next, the person with the box of ink can do whatever they like with it (keep it all, PIF the ink, try to revive this thread at some point and keep it going, etc.).
11) I'd like to keep this within the continental US, since shipping outside that gets complicated and expensive.

Warning: Research all inks before you put them in your fancy pen! Some inks have a reputation for damaging pens. Play at your own risk, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Signups will go for about a week. Please, list your user name and your location. We'll figure out the logistics and send it to the closest participant. Please, refer to the past Traveling Ink Box thread for an idea of how this is conducted.

Well now, I was just thinking to myself, "I need a new acquisition disorder to encourage."

After reading through the thread from last time, I just hope I'm not the guy whose shipment leaks in transit. But I'm ready with my bubble wrap, shrink wrap, hermetic sealing abilities (such as they are), box repair supplies, some pens I can use for ink experimentation, and a nearby UPS Store. So please count me in. WooHoo!

Komboloi -- NV

And as first person to have signed up, I request that I not be exempted from shipping fees. Gotta keep my karma straight.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Warning: Research all inks before you put them in your fancy pen! Some inks have a reputation for damaging pens. Play at your own risk, yadda, yadda, yadda.

That's the first time I'm seen this warning.

I'm glad I don't have a fancy pen.

It looks like a great pass around, but I'm not in.

I would like to participate in this but be gentle with me as I am very new. If at all possible, I would to be placed on the list so I get it after the holidays. If that is not possible, place me where it is easier for everyone.

Komboloi -- NV
DukeNDuke -- IL
Go West Young Man - CA
Heckle -- CT

Last edited:
Count me in. Although, by cling film do you just mean like plastic wrap?

Komboloi -- NV
DukeNDuke -- IL
Go West Young Man - CA
Heckle -- CT
MonoTiki -- GA

I'm in! I survived round 1, lets see how 2 goes.

Komboloi -- NV
DukeNDuke -- IL
Go West Young Man - CA
Heckle -- CT
MonoTiki -- GA
FightingIllini22 -- IL
Jut --IL

OK, I'm in too.

Question though, it's that time of year, the box is likely to be out in the freezing temps until I or my wife get home. Will Ink be damaged if frozen? Seems I remember seeing a thread where the ink should be fine, but concern is broken bottles from expanding ink when it feezes?

Komboloi -- NV
DukeNDuke -- IL
Go West Young Man - CA
Heckle -- CT
MonoTiki -- GA
FightingIllini22 -- IL
Jut --IL
OtherMoe -- IA

I'm not sure how rural you are, Moe, but when you know the box is on its way to you, you can arrange with UPS to pick up at their facility. I think a day on your doorstep in sub-freezing temps would be a risky proposition.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
OK, I'm in too.

Question though, it's that time of year, the box is likely to be out in the freezing temps until I or my wife get home. Will Ink be damaged if frozen? Seems I remember seeing a thread where the ink should be fine, but concern is broken bottles from expanding ink when it feezes?

The glass bottles have a good chance of breaking if the ink freezes.

Ok, taking myself out. I travel almost weekly and can't guarantee I'll be able to be home or arrange pick up. Updated list below.

Komboloi -- NV
DukeNDuke -- IL
Go West Young Man - CA
Heckle -- CT
MonoTiki -- GA
FightingIllini22 -- IL
Jut --IL

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Might be a good idea to ship to the southern warm addresses first, and let it do a northern tour in spring?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Let's get this back up and kicking (again)! I want to get a confirmation from each of you that have signed up you're still onboard. Hopefully, the cold temps will start to be less of a trend across the country in the next month or so and we won't have to worry about any bottles breaking. Anyone else who wants to signup is more than welcome to, and is encouraged to do so.

[MENTION=112108]Komboloi[/MENTION] -- NV
[MENTION=55501]DukeNDuke[/MENTION] -- IL
[MENTION=24856]Go West Young Man[/MENTION] - CA
[MENTION=102906]Heckle[/MENTION] -- CT
[MENTION=94647]MonoTiki[/MENTION] -- GA
[MENTION=85180]fightingillini22[/MENTION] -- IL
[MENTION=40890]Jut[/MENTION] --IL
[MENTION=28624]OtherMoe[/MENTION] -- IA

I'm definitely in!! I was just thinking about this thread a few days ago...great minds must think alike! Thanks Erik.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
:thumbup:

From the sound of it, the box should ship out early next week to the States. I'm hoping that it'll be a quick commute since the box is only roughly 4-6 hours away from me. I'm going to toss some stuff in there and ship it out to the most convenient recipient that I can contact within a day or two.

Top Bottom