What's new

Travel razor...non DE!?!

I have successfully flown several times now with a superspeed LOADED with a feather in my carryon. The first time was an accident. The second was an experiment. After that, it was just habit. I think they see the razor in the scan but don't equate it to a loose blade. If they saw the outline of a loose DE blade, however, they'd freak.

You may well get away with this, but it's not a good idea. At any point they could open your bag and toss your razor into a garbage can. They can also make your life miserable in multiple ways.

I wouldn't risk it.

@ Barbash
I'm in the same kind of situation and I take a Sensor with me in the plane.

I have successfully flown several times now with a superspeed LOADED with a feather in my carryon. The first time was an accident. The second was an experiment. After that, it was just habit. I think they see the razor in the scan but don't equate it to a loose blade. If they saw the outline of a loose DE blade, however, they'd freak.

It is a risk I am not willing to take...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

What you are doing is illegal.
Flaunting it here on this board, where a less experienced newbie may get the idea that it is ok is a violation of the terms of use of the board.
You may have gotten away with it in the past, but I implore you to cease, it's only a matter of time, and the hassle you may find yourslef in is just not worth it.
And please think twice before posting to promote behavior that is not legal.

Another vote for the Bic sensitive. They work great in a pinch, and are very inexpensive.

I suggest trying the alternative razors BEFORE you fly so you know which give you acceptable results.

I got lucky and did not have to hop on a plane for a year, jsut got unlucky to have to do it twice in March. Bought a pack of Bic sensitives and got great shaves.

I am travelling in Florida right now. I brought my 34c loaded with a blade(insiade a merkur travel case, and a pack of feathers with my carry on. It passes because if you read the TSA guidelines on what is banned, safety razors are not. If you keep the blades in the pack, you are fine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am travelling in Florida right now. I brought my 34c loaded with a blade(insiade a merkur travel case, and a pack of feathers with my carry on. It passes because if you read the TSA guidelines on what is banned, safety razors are not. If you keep the blades in the pack, you are fine.

You are not correct sir. We have been through this a bazillion times. Blades are NOT allowed. Period.
Shall I list you the 813 separate threads where this has been discussed ad infinitum? Shall I once again point you to the Wiki page where the details are clear?
How about I just post this portion of a previous thread again;

From the TSA Website;

Pack smart. For purposes of security screening, your trip begins before you ever leave the house. Mindlessly cramming items into a suitcase is a recipe for problems. Items that could be used as weapons -- ranging from pointed scissors to razor blades and baseball bats -- are not allowed on you or in your carry-on luggage. Check the Web site for a list of prohibited items.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ease_0401.shtm

And this;

Items prohibited from aircraft cabins:

The following items will not be allowed through the security checkpoint. Please note that this list is not all-inclusive. In addition to items specifically listed here other items that may be deemed to present a potential threat may also be prohibited.
~
Razor blades (not in a cartridge)
~
Passengers should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when they are left at the security checkpoint. In addition those who attempt to bring banned items through the checkpoints are subject to civil penalties of up to $1100 per violation in addition to criminal penalties.
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ease_0104.shtm

Last edited:
Not nearly the same shave, but then it won't take your face off either. Especially, if it is only for a couple of days.

The Trac/Super II, Atra, Bic Metal, Bic Sensitive, and Sensor are all contenders. Try before you go(or if adventurous, when you go)....For example, I could live with all of these except the Bic Sensitive. I hate its stryrene construction and slash my face up with it. Others love it....I think it is an excellent way to improve your technique, because all the things I do wrong and get away with with other razors cause cuts with the Bic Sensitive for me......Try to find out which one you like.....There are cheap ways to sample each without breaking the bank....If you love a type, consider upgrading to a nicer model in the same type (e.g. all metal atra)......

Thanks everyone.

I picked up a Track II and a bag of Bic Sensative disposable razors while I was out today.
As much as I hate to put down my DE I also think yall are right in that I should try these razors out before I head out of town.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and hopefully one of these razors can become my travel razor.

Top Bottom