What's new

Toy or Serious Brush: A Consideration of the Wee Scot

For the record, I don't consider the LE absurdly priced (nor actually priced at this point, only estimated). It's going to be very special.

But, hatching Wee Scots would obviously make it VERY very special. :lol:

I used my Wee Scot today with LaToja stick. It was great. It generated enough lather for my three passes and still had enough for more. This brush and soap along with an Omega Bambino are my travel companions. They really fill that role.

Having larger hands, these small brushes are too small for me on a daily basis. But on the road, I wouldn't be without them. Unless you never leave the house, they are a must have and a joy to use.

Used today with Musgo Real. Just barely enough lather for 2 passes and touch up. I'm on the road tomorrow for 10 days, so that will give me time to get to know this brush. I'll be using Cella exclusively for the trip. Pretty tiny brush. Not sure I'm going to keep it.

Cella? PUHLEASE :devil:

You could scrub a dead rat's head on a tub of Cella and get good lather.

Who amongst you will test this with Caswell Massey 1752? :lol:

When you try this, PLEASE post the photos. They'd likely win the Photo of the Year Award!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was thinking that my next brush would be the Wee Scott and then the Chubby 2. Now I see several posts referencing a photo of a new Gary Young LE. Where is it? I looked on the Simpson page and didn't see anything relating to that.

I was thinking that my next brush would be the Wee Scott and then the Chubby 2. Now I see several posts referencing a photo of a new Gary Young LE. Where is it? I looked on the Simpson page and didn't see anything relating to that.

Look in the vendor's corner forum. I want to see your eye's pop out of your head when you see the price :thumbup:

I would say West Coast Shaving, but they are out of stock (for now). Plan on buying one myself as soon as they are back in.

I picked the right week to travel as it has given me a great opportunity to take a good look at this brush. Typically, I will break it out once or twice a week but get more use out of a couple of my other brushes. I use both a Simpson Eagle in Best and a Semogue Owner's club boar more often. Prior to this recent trip, I did use the Wee Scot with TOBS Sandalwood shave cream which I bowl lathered. As I use soap almost exclusively and face lather, this was a big departure from my usual routine. I was delighted with the quality of the lather that I obtained. The Wee Scot gave me plenty of lather of such a quality that I may have to go with shaving cream more often. Since then, I have face lathered daily with the Wee Scot and a Speick shave stick. This is was this brush was made to do and it shines in this role. I get great quality lather with plenty enough for my usual three passes. The brush fits perfectly in one of a pair of gold plated containers from a Gillette travel kit that I found at a flea market last year. For whatever reason, I really enjoy the way the shave stick and brush look in this set-up, especially when sitting in my dopp kit next to a cased Tuckaway. The small size makes ip portable and convenient and allows it to dry quickly, making it great to travel with. While I can understand someone with arthritis finding it difficult, I've never had a problem with the brush size and find it comfortable to use. While I have expensive brushes (not to mention fragrances, soaps, creams and razors) that almost never get used, the Wee Scot isn't one of them. Like most of the members here, I don't see it being anyone's only brush and although I find it one of my favorites, I would never recommend it as the starting brush for someone being introduced to wet shaving. That said, it certainly succeeds at filling the niche it was designed for. If anyone is looking for a brush for when they travel, I don't see another that better meets the combination of portability, performance and quality. And for many,myself included, the brush performs so well that you will find yourself reaching for it even when staying home. Don't let the diminutive size fool you, the Wee Scot is definitely no toy.

I picked the right week to travel as it has given me a great opportunity to take a good look at this brush. Typically, I will break it out once or twice a week but get more use out of a couple of my other brushes. I use both a Simpson Eagle in Best and a Semogue Owner's club boar more often. Prior to this recent trip, I did use the Wee Scot with TOBS Sandalwood shave cream which I bowl lathered. As I use soap almost exclusively and face lather, this was a big departure from my usual routine. I was delighted with the quality of the lather that I obtained. The Wee Scot gave me plenty of lather of such a quality that I may have to go with shaving cream more often. Since then, I have face lathered daily with the Wee Scot and a Speick shave stick. This is was this brush was made to do and it shines in this role. I get great quality lather with plenty enough for my usual three passes. The brush fits perfectly in one of a pair of gold plated containers from a Gillette travel kit that I found at a flea market last year. For whatever reason, I really enjoy the way the shave stick and brush look in this set-up, especially when sitting in my dopp kit next to a cased Tuckaway. The small size makes ip portable and convenient and allows it to dry quickly, making it great to travel with. While I can understand someone with arthritis finding it difficult, I've never had a problem with the brush size and find it comfortable to use. While I have expensive brushes (not to mention fragrances, soaps, creams and razors) that almost never get used, the Wee Scot isn't one of them. Like most of the members here, I don't see it being anyone's only brush and although I find it one of my favorites, I would never recommend it as the starting brush for someone being introduced to wet shaving. That said, it certainly succeeds at filling the niche it was designed for. If anyone is looking for a brush for when they travel, I don't see another that better meets the combination of portability, performance and quality. And for many,myself included, the brush performs so well that you will find yourself reaching for it even when staying home. Don't let the diminutive size fool you, the Wee Scot is definitely no toy.

:thumbup:

I bought a Wee Scot a couple of months ago from another member, and I must admit when it first arrived I didn't quite know what to think. It just seemed so, well, wee. Boy was I wrong! I have used this brush bowl and face lathering and it is simply a superb performer. Don't let its small size fool you, it is wonderful.

Since then, I have face lathered daily with the Wee Scot and a Speick shave stick. This is was this brush was made to do and it shines in this role.

It really does - I was very impressed at how it handled that duty. If I'm honest, though, a 46 doesn't need to take up much more space in my travel kit, so I'm fine with the extra size for a more comfy handle.

I was able (I'd guess, anyway) to pin down exactly what it is about the Wee Scot handle that I didn't like: diameter. It's not too short, it's too thin. As a frame of reference, I can't comfortably write with a standard wooden pencil for much time without that becoming uncomfortable, so that's worth noting. I spend way too much time with my fingers on a keyboard (occupational hazard) so perhaps that's why I'm just shy of 30 and concerned with gripping things comfortably. Actually, not much younger than my great grandfather was when he gave up hand-writing and bought a typewriter (he was a gunsmith).

Just placed an order for the Wee Scot. Finally, the curiosity and multitude of posts about this brush has forced my hand (or better put, debit card)

Top Bottom