What's new

Toy or Serious Brush: A Consideration of the Wee Scot

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So, if a person agrees with you about blades, then he'll agree with you about brushes?

Ridiculous. Sorry, no two ways about that.

That isn't what I said and you know it. The two may not be related at all, that is true, but read again what I said about thinking along similar lines.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
So, if a person agrees with you about blades, then he'll agree with you about brushes?

Ridiculous. Sorry, no two ways about that.

Actually, my original comment was very tongue in cheek and simply meant as a bit of fun. However, your "straw man" comment got my lather up.

You must realize self-rationalizations and same-boat enabling are big parts of the culture on here. It is extremely easy to get caught up in it.

Are you suggesting the Wee Scot Mania is a joke Wee Scot owners play on other wet shavers ??? :tongue_sm

P

Pjotr

......My point is very valid. I will be much more likely to follow the recommendation of someone who thinks along similar lines as myself. There is no YMMV in actual sharpness of a particular blade, only a person's liking to it. Therefore, if the person thinks that Astra blades are the best thing going, then I would probably put less stock in his other recommendations........

I distrust the opinion of anybody who doesn't shave with a SE razor. That leaves me with 20% of this forum. And anybody who hasn't got a Wee Scot (something seriously wrong there). That leaves me with 5% of this forum. And somebody who doesn't have at least two boars in their line up (how could you not). We're probably overall down to less than 1% of this forum. I think I'll just post recommendations and opinions to myself.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I distrust the opinion of anybody who doesn't shave with a SE razor. That leaves me with 20% of this forum. And anybody who hasn't got a Wee Scot (something seriously wrong there). That leaves me with 5% of this forum. And somebody who doesn't have at least two boars in their line up (how could you not). We're probably overall down to less than 1% of this forum. I think I'll just post recommendations and opinions to myself.

:lol::lol:

I have a couple of boars...

P

Pjotr

That's good Oldsaw, now you just need to get rid of those DEs and it's party time! Just joking of course.

I like doing this. I nearly always agree with my own recommendations.

Gentlemen, if we're going to be polemical, let's argue about the merits of the Wee Scot, not something tangential. The tone must also remain light-hearted, as befitting such a whimsical brush. :biggrin:

Gentlemen, if we're going to be polemical, let's argue about the merits of the Wee Scot, not something tangential. The tone must also remain light-hearted, as befitting such a whimsical brush. :biggrin:

Well put. Let's have fun with this!

Sorry, guys! :blushing: Back on track in 3... 2... 1...

Well, I had what will probably be the final shave with the Wee Scot. It's been a TON of fun with this, but I've had more than my fair share of brushes, and I know what works for me and what doesn't pretty quickly. Here are my parting thoughts on the brush.

As an aside, today's shave was Speick shave stick, and if you aren't pairing this with Mandom aftershave, you're missing out!

Hair: This is Simpsons Best, and there's not much else that needs to be said. It rivals what other makers call Silvertip. It represents a great balance between softness and scrub, and it really works, even in this diminutive package. The size of the knot is rather small, but I find it more than adequate to build lather on the face. It's nimble - I can easily cover my upper lip and avoid my mouth and nostrils with ease. The knot is an absolute winner.

Handle: Sigh. I really, really wish I could get over this, but it kills it for me. It's too small for me, and that's really all there is to it. I just can't grip it right. I sat down with it and tried and tried (long enough to get more than a couple funny looks from the wifey) and yet, no joy. It's a very nicely made handle of TOP quality, but for my hands, it's unwieldy. I suppose there are those for whom it won't be a problem, or at least not a deal-killer. I pose this as a consideration - the handle is really, really small.

The bottom line - the answer to the question we set out to answer - this is a REAL brush, meant to be USED - but, like any other brush, it's not for everybody. At least this one wears its caveats out in the open! There's no hiding the size. :001_cool:

Many are in line to buy the new Gary Young (Simpson) LE M7 and they should. It certainly adds to the history of Simpson as well as compliments a collection. A historical collection of Simpson cannot be complete without a Wee Scot (in use or not). Great Post to get us all thinking Simpson.

Great Post to get us all thinking Simpson.
I suppose that is significant if you're a marketing director. Otherwise, I don't see why you find this something that one, needs to be done, and two, needs to be specifically pointed out.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks guys for the work you put into this. The Wee Scott is still on my radar and this was a very informative thread that I will keep in mind. Right now I am looking at the Gary Young LE from Simpson. Now if I could just get the Wee Scott on the same order and make it look like one item...

Thanks guys for the work you put into this. The Wee Scott is still on my radar and this was a very informative thread that I will keep in mind. Right now I am looking at the Gary Young LE from Simpson. Now if I could just get the Wee Scott on the same order and make it look like one item...

For what they're expecting the LE to cost, it ought to hatch Wee Scot's periodically! :lol:

I'm kidding - it's really going to be a special brush.

I suppose that is significant if you're a marketing director. Otherwise, I don't see why you find this something that one, needs to be done, and two, needs to be specifically pointed out.

My point was not about marketing but about Simpson and his part in the history of brush making in England. Gary Young's input has brought up heritage quite a bit and has made me quite interested in a book about this heritage and his impact upon brush making. Not meant to sell brushes--sorry!!:001_smile

My point was not about marketing but about Simpson and his part in the history of brush making in England.
Peace.:laugh:

It is certainly interesting stuff. Now, whether we're all considered overly biased is another question...When I hit up the flea markets and ask about old razors and brushes, most of them look at me like I was asking if they had any replacement hubs for stagecoach wheels.

I had ordered a WS before this thread started. It arrived yesterday and I used it this morning, so I'd like to jump in with first impressions.

First of all, I firmly believe that first impressions are frequently untrustworthy and I firmly reject the notion that you, me or anyone or anything only gets one shot "to make an impression." So, before I really make any judgments, I plan to use this little brush for the next 12 days (I'll take it with me on a work trip so I have no choice), learn to live and work with it and then see how I like it. Then probably use it for a couple more months to really decide.

That said, first impressions: Used with Arko mashed in a plastic dish. Picked up the soap and lathered easy enough (did I mention I used Arko?), it seemed weird doing all the face painting though as lately I've been using a big boar brush where the whole process from first touching the brush to the soap to picking up the razor seems to only take seconds. I am taken back by how tiny this is and feels (even after seeing the pics above), however I had no problem getting it to work. Not sure how I'll like it after a couple of months but for now it works, it's not frustrating in any way, clearly should be more economical with soap, and will be fun to try for a while.

I definitely like the "best" hair. Very nice.

Thanks for starting this thread.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For what they're expecting the LE to cost, it ought to hatch Wee Scot's periodically! :lol:

I'm kidding - it's really going to be a special brush.

That's kind of what I was hoping. I asked if they would throw one in to sweeten the deal and I'm not exactly sure, but I think I could actually hear them laughing at me, as the answer was not affirmative.

Top Bottom