What's new

Tonsil stone/tonsillolith maintenance

Does anyone else brush, floss, and gargle but still have a foul feeling at the back of your throat? Do you cough up pale, foul smelling little nuggets? Recently I used a hand mirror to examine the back of my throat and I noticed little white spots in my tonsils, using a barbecue skewer I was able to pick out or squeeze out an alarming amount of tonsil stones. Considering it was the first time in my life doing so, I shouldn't have been surprised. Now checking my tonsils, and picking objects out with a skewer, has become a regular maintenance issue. Does anyone else do this? Has anyone else found a cure? What do you do?

They're really called cryptic debris. It's an accumulation of sloughed cells, etc. that gather in the tonsillar crypts and harden.

I get them every once in a while, and they're really uncomfortable. I don't know why they come and I don't know why they go away, so I can't really help you.

I've got the same problem. Luckily (well maybe not) the crypts in my tonsils are fairly large, so they're easy to spot. The best thing I've found is to avoid dairy products. I still eat cheese, but avoid ice cream and definitely milk. When I do have ice cream or milk, I brush my teeth and gargle with Listerine immediately after.

In the event that I have to remove one (probably once a week or so), I use this: http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Medications-and-Pain-Relief/Gum-Stimulator---Step-3/ID=prod1780-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku301780

It's much safer than a barbeque skewer, or the toothpicks I used to use for that matter. You still have to be careful, but it works well for me.

Those tonsil stones are weird. I used to get them when I was a kid before I had my tonsils removed. I used to use toothpicks to get them out when they were big enough. Probably not the most sanitary tool, but I just used them to dislodge the stones that were already poking out quite a bit.

It's one of those things you can go through life and never hear about, but if you get them, even then, there's not a whole lot of information out there about how to deal with them.

Sorry, can't help you further than that. Do you find it oddly satisfying when you dig them out of your throat? I did.

I remove mine with the instrument found in men's grooming kits that pushes back the cuticles of your nails. It's long enough and the tip acts like a scoop. Give one a try, it works.

I hate tonsil stones! They're nasty little buggers. I normally run my toothbrush head back in that area and occasionally use my fingers. I also gargle with Listerine, which has seemed to help.:blushing:

Do they smell bad? I had some once and they were nasty...

Go see an ENT, you might want to have your tonsils removed...

I think that digging them out with any sort of instrument is a bit dangerous. If it is a recurring problem for you then you should talk to a doctor about it.

I had that sort of problem a lot as a kid, and my mother wanted my tonsils removed. That was back when tonsillectomies were very common. Fortunately, the doctor objected because there wasn't any infection. I've since learned that people are healthier with keeping their tonsils. I'm of the mind that there are not any superfulous parts in the human body, they all serve a purpose.

They're really called cryptic debris. It's an accumulation of sloughed cells, etc. that gather in the tonsillar crypts and harden.

I get them every once in a while, and they're really uncomfortable. I don't know why they come and I don't know why they go away, so I can't really help you.

After reading another thread I think the best way to avoid this is to not eat McRibs at McDonald's. :crying:

Try a nettie pot as well, you can usually dislodge them with brine vs a bbq skewer...

note that skewers are generally not sterile.

I have them. Nasty. I have two large crypts on either side. I use a cotton swab to clean out the holes every now and then. I have read that some people use a syringe + salt water to flush out debris too. I gargle a lot during the day and keep breath mints and/or gum on me too. I'm very conscious of my bad breath. Unfortunately, my limited health insurance would make laser or tonsil surgery expensive at the moment. One day, I'll have it taken care of.

I woke up today with a severe soar throat.

I had the day off and was planning on running errands and getting my car ready for winter. I decided a day on the couch with some Netflix was more realistic though.

So then around mid-morning I was coughing and clearing my throat when one of these buggers popped out of my throat. I've had these pop out before. Maybe once or twice a year. Always disgusting and always followed by a severe case of drooling and queasiness from the overall grossness.

Now, around 5 or 6 hours later my throat is not soar and I'm even more grossed out from too much time on Google trying to figure out what that nasty thing was.

I remember coughing one up last time around this year and just thinking it was a putrid piece of food that was stuck somewhere in my throat.

Personally I've never had an issue with bad breath unless I've been eating onions and garlic. This seems for me to be something that occurs around cold and flu season and I always feel great the next day. In hindsight I had been feeling under the weather and foggy for the past few days.

I hope I never experience this ghastly and hideous situation ever again. How can something so relatively small cause such pain and be so vile? Just thinking about it makes me queasy again.

I can't believe I typed it in the Search box here and found a thread about it. Thank goodness it isn't just me. Unfortunately I can't undo what I read and saw on Google earlier. The next time I have an oddity of my body I'm staying off the internet. Some things just don't need to be seen and read about...

:a47:

Do they smell bad? I had some once and they were nasty...

Go see an ENT, you might want to have your tonsils removed...

They smell like concentrated halitosis. Probably one of the worst smells ever. I have very large crypts, and I've taken to sweeping my pinkie finger into the area and getting anything out. If I've been sick, I usually have more of them.

I've considered having my tonsils removed, but it seems a bit drastic for an annoyance.

I woke up today with a severe soar throat.

I had the day off and was planning on running errands and getting my car ready for winter. I decided a day on the couch with some Netflix was more realistic though.

So then around mid-morning I was coughing and clearing my throat when one of these buggers popped out of my throat. I've had these pop out before. Maybe once or twice a year. Always disgusting and always followed by a severe case of drooling and queasiness from the overall grossness.

Now, around 5 or 6 hours later my throat is not soar and I'm even more grossed out from too much time on Google trying to figure out what that nasty thing was.

I remember coughing one up last time around this year and just thinking it was a putrid piece of food that was stuck somewhere in my throat.

Personally I've never had an issue with bad breath unless I've been eating onions and garlic. This seems for me to be something that occurs around cold and flu season and I always feel great the next day. In hindsight I had been feeling under the weather and foggy for the past few days.

I hope I never experience this ghastly and hideous situation ever again. How can something so relatively small cause such pain and be so vile? Just thinking about it makes me queasy again.

I can't believe I typed it in the Search box here and found a thread about it. Thank goodness it isn't just me. Unfortunately I can't undo what I read and saw on Google earlier. The next time I have an oddity of my body I'm staying off the internet. Some things just don't need to be seen and read about...

:a47:

Never had any pain or illness associated with them, just annoyance.

I also live with and enjoy tonsil stones. Your doctor is unlikely to consider removing your tonsils because they are part of your immune system and removing tonsils from an adult can have fatal complications due to the vast network of blood vessels they contain. Gargling with mouthwash or saltwater, using a syring with water or cotton swabs can dislodge them if used regularly. However, poking a hole in your tonsil can cause sever bleeding that might require medical intervention, so be careful!!

I was getting these since high school and had no idea what they were until a few years ago. I would cough them out every once in a while and get worried my lungs were falling apart or something. (I have asthma, so that was my logic)

These things stink like all hell and are a major cause for bad breath.

Best thing to do to avoid these is gargle a lot with antiseptics. Sometimes they're totally unavoidable but can be fairly easily removed with a water-pik or cotton swab. Don't use anything pointy or sharp to dislodge them as it may cause bleeding and a possible infection.

I grew up with a ton of sinus issues, but never really any tonsil stones. One thing I can share with you all, is that if your room is very dry or you're a back sleeper (Like I am)- your sore throat is usually caused by the dripping from the contents of your nose into your throat. This stuff can also sit in the grooves of your tonsils and build up...very much like tonsil stones. As mentioned, gargle with listerine or use a humidifier in your room. (Do not use in the summer...you may cause mildew to build up in your room)

Oh man I get them occasionally. They are quite nasty. I usually go the hot shower method and hack them up like a cat with a hairball.

They are sort of like a piece of hyper-rank cottage cheese.

Man...this thread is really making me appreciate the fact that I removed my own tonsils when I was 2 years old!!! I have always carried this fact as a badge of honor (that I was a successful self-surgeon at such a young age) but NOW I am really, really thankful that I don't have those buggers creating tonsil stones!!!

i really feel for you all, and wish you the best. If you want advice on how to slice out your own tonsils, let me know - I would be happy to share the ruler to carry in your mouth and the proper fall trajectory to generate the removal force necessary to complete the job.

All the best.

This is the grossest thread I have read here. I get them occasionaly, I call them throat boogers. About 2 years ago I was getting them all the time. Now not so much, not sure what changed. The cavities in the back of my throat are fairly large.

Top Bottom