What's new

Tobacco Dryness/Wetness

Ok guys I got a question for the BL. As most of you know I've been on a buying spree [and smoking]. I assumed that most of the tins I've been enjoying have been just right on the dry/wet scale but today I cracked a tin of Presbyterian Mixture and was surprised how dry it seemed. Anyway it smoked great a nice gray ash with only one re-light [went out while throwing a ball with my dog]. Anyway my question is does anyone have a rule of thumb to how long i should let the tobacco sit before smoking or video or any resource to help me? Thanks in advance.

Each blend is slightly different...

I personally like most of mine on the drier side. If I punch it together and it holds a bit or clumps together a little bit I'm good to go. If it is sticky, it needs to wait. If it is saw dust it goes to the bin.

Interesting question. Some tobaccos smoke better dry and some better a little moist. They say, if you need a rule of thumb about moisture. Tobacco should be just moist enough so a pinch holds together and springs back, if it crumbles it's too dry and obviously if brown juice starts running down your arm, eh you get the picture. If it's obviously wet just spread out thinly on paper 20 minutes or so in this dry winter air will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pretty much already stated. You just have to develop your own feel. Not as arcane as it sounds. Just keep smoking, vary the moisture level at which you're filling your bowl a bit, and before long you'll just know what's right for you.

Yup each blend different. If it crumbles like dry dead leaves in the fall, it's too dry. That's my personal rule of thumb. I do something I've had flawless response of doing but would bother many people. I lay out my over dried or forgotten tin tobacco on a plate. I then use a spray bottle on with distilled or spring water I mist the tobacco on the softest mist. Then I put a paper towel over the tobacco and check it in an hour. Mist again until it's back to new. Usually only takes 3-4 times. Smokes just the same as it did with no repercussions.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Also, in general, oriental Leaf and Latakia is drier than Virginia and burley. So, it's not surprising that Presbyterian seemed dry. Also, European tobaccos tend to come drier than American blends. Of course, there are exceptions to all of this, but as a general guide I think it holds true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Interesting question. Some tobaccos smoke better dry and some better a little moist. They say, if you need a rule of thumb about moisture. Tobacco should be just moist enough so a pinch holds together and springs back, if it crumbles it's too dry and obviously if brown juice starts running down your arm, eh you get the picture. If it's obviously wet just spread out thinly on paper 20 minutes or so in this dry winter air will do the trick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yep. Experience will guide you, and it differs between different tobaccos. Some smoke better (by that I mean flavor, I don't care about relights) dry, some wetter. You just have to experiment. Their is no hard and fast rule, though you will learn what "too wet" means quick enough. Steamy smoke is no good.

You will also suffer less tongue bite with drier tobacco. If a tin starts to get crunchy on me, I will soak a pipe cleaner in distilled water and put it in the can.

Thanks everyone. Good info. I assume as it varies blend to blend it may vary from tin to tin of the same blend. Is that a good assumption?

Thanks everyone. Good info. I assume as it varies blend to blend it may vary from tin to tin of the same blend. Is that a good assumption?

No, I'd say different tins of the same blend should be fairly consistent. One may seem a little damper upon opening than another, so it might take a bit longer to reach the ideal smoking humidity, but the target should be the same.

No, I'd say different tins of the same blend should be fairly consistent. One may seem a little damper upon opening than another, so it might take a bit longer to reach the ideal smoking humidity, but the target should be the same.

Sorry that's what I meant for someone with a great education I certainly have a way with words...:001_tongu

Top Bottom