What's new

Tips & Techniques - All Things Cooking Related

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A simple and easy way to slice lettuce or leafy herbs.....the Chiffonade:

[video]http://www.marthastewart.com/967607/how-chiffonade[/video]

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I love asparagus, and it stays pretty good wrapped up in a paper towel in the frig. for a week+ Be here's something that may prove to be better.
attachment.php

I do something like that except I take it a bit farther. As soon as I bring fresh asparagus home, I put it in a sink full of water, clean it and cut the stalks down to the length that fits in my asparagus pot. I then put it in a tall plastic tub that has a couple of inches of filtered water in it and stick it in the fridge. This way the prep is all done and the fresh cut ends helps it to crisp up if it needs to and keeps it that way until you're ready to cook it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I do something like that except I take it a bit farther. As soon as I bring fresh asparagus home, I put it in a sink full of water, clean it and cut the stalks down to the length that fits in my asparagus pot. I then put it in a tall plastic tub that has a couple of inches of filtered water in it and stick it in the fridge. This way the prep is all done and the fresh cut ends helps it to crisp up if it needs to and keeps it that way until you're ready to cook it.

I like the tall plastic tub and into the frig idea. Normally I'll eat them before they go bad.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Greatest sidekick ever.

I've had the Hucklebuck going through my head for three days. Alice was pretty good, too- "You're gone, alright"

on edit: I sometimes feel like Ed Norton trapped in Ralph Kramden's body. I want to be fun spirited like Ed, but if I let it out I would look more like Ralph :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We eat a lot of fish and seafood. The fish is usually salmon or rainbow trout. The wife likes for me to peel off the skin. Instead of using a knife I use this method:

For trout, I will place in the oven and set to broil for 7 minutes (more or less depending on the size of the fillet). After 7 minutes I will then flip the fillet and reset the timer for 2 minutes. The broiler will char and crisp up the skin and make it very easy to peel, just like a banana.

I use tongs and a fork.
$IMG_1505.jpg$IMG_1506.jpg$IMG_1507.jpg

We eat a lot of fish and seafood. The fish is usually salmon or rainbow trout. The wife likes for me to peel off the skin. Instead of using a knife I use this method:

For trout, I will place in the oven and set to broil for 7 minutes (more or less depending on the size of the fillet). After 7 minutes I will then flip the fillet and reset the timer for 2 minutes. The broiler will char and crisp up the skin and make it very easy to peel, just like a banana.

I use tongs and a fork.

Speaking of fish and bananas - -

I like to grill fish in banana leaves, which are available in most Asian markets and in the freezer section of some supermarkets. You have to wipe off the banana leaf first to get rid of any pesticides, etc. . .,You can add some marinade and/or vegetables in there before folding it up. I usually tie it with some stray strands of the leaf and serve the whole packet. Similar to foil or parchment, but it does add a subtle flavor, especially on the grill.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Recycle when you can and don't throw away the paper egg cartons. They make a great fire starter for your pit or charcoal chimney.

$IMG_1743[1].jpg

Recycle when you can and don't throw away the paper egg cartons. They make a great fire starter for your pit or charcoal chimney.
I never throw them away or burn them. But I have a friend with a small backyard flock of hens, so she reuses them to package fresh eggs. Even though I'm not an egg eater (due to an allergy), I do use them for cooking in small amounts, and I can tell there's a huge difference between them and factory-farmed eggs from the supermarket.

Top Bottom