What's new

Time to Vent: Omega Watch Service Costs

Just spoke to Manuel, he quoted $495 too...is this price set by Omega or something?

Well hell, that didn't work out, did it? As much as I like Manuel, if he and Omega are the same price, I would go with Omega. At least if something goes wrong, they can't blame anybody else.

A Swiss mechanical watch is like German car - be prepared for high repair costs for the priviledge of ownership. Some costs are rather contrived IMO - a trusted Rolex agent would not service one of my wife's watches without replaceing the crown, crystal and winding stem - a required part of a Rolex service. The cost was ~$600 to work on a watch that might be worth 8-900 but has some sentimental value. She is not likely to wear it on a deep sea expedition - maybe an occasional trip to the library.

I disagree, you can easily find excellent watch repairmen who can service a Rolex movement for below $300.

By "excellent", do you mean Rolex authorized/certified?

If so, I would like to know where you are easily finding this type of service for for under $300.

I have owned Rolex in the past and authorized service/watchmakers would not remove the back of the case for much less than $300.

I could almost find this thread hilarious - if it wasnt that some of you are so serious about the costs\value for service.

BTW - I "AM" a qualified watchmaker - I spent four years as an apprentice - followed up with courses in England and Switzerland developing the skill set needed for repairing and restoring watches - and over the last 30 years have worked closely with a number of the "brands".

How many hours do you think it would take to repair a quality watch?

What do you think is a "fair" remuneration for the watchmaker?

Whats a fair return for his\her employer on top of that salary?

etc etc.

Then on the other side - your watch runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week - what other mechanical (or for that matter electrical) device can run without interruption for so long without service?

if you work out the maintenance cost for each hour of running - how does that compare against running your car or bike (or even a VCR or notebook\desktop computer)?

I could almost find this thread hilarious - if it wasnt that some of you are so serious about the costs\value for service.

BTW - I "AM" a qualified watchmaker - I spent four years as an apprentice - followed up with courses in England and Switzerland developing the skill set needed for repairing and restoring watches - and over the last 30 years have worked closely with a number of the "brands".

etc etc.

Then on the other side - your watch runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week - what other mechanical (or for that matter electrical) device can run without interruption for so long without service?

if you work out the maintenance cost for each hour of running - how does that compare against running your car or bike (or even a VCR or notebook\desktop computer)?

Although this point is usually made when this type of thread is started, I think Navarre raises some good issues.Of course, with competition you will always be able to find differences in prices. Some very competent watchmakers charge less than others, and do fine work. You just have to shop around and educate yourself.

Cost of living and overhead costs vary around the country and around the world, and so do the the prices charged for the same work. And yes, the quality of the work can vary and you have "hacks" working in just about any field. Check references, just like you would with a mechanic or doctor. Just common sense, no?

I just sent off my vintage Hamilton Sutton to have it serviced. One excellent watchmaker quoted me a price of about $300, another with great references and experience quoted $95. I elected to go with the $95 service. This is a watch with no complications, time only. It runs and keeps accurate time, but probably hasn't been serviced in a very long time. For this type of basic service on a non-diver, uncomplicated watch, the lower quote seems appropriate to me. (And to the watchmaker too, I suppose, since they set the price) :biggrin1:

Sluggo is in a bit of a pickle b/c the new Coaxial technology is so...new. That is going to limit his choices for service dramatically-- as he has discovered.

The other poster who made the analogy to maintenance costs of cars is right. These mechanical watches we love DO require maintenance beyond a simple battery change. That's a fact of life. How much you pay for that service and whether it is worth it is something we all have to research and decide for ourselves.

Just spoke to Manuel, he quoted $495 too...is this price set by Omega or something?

I wouldn't be surprised if Omega sets or strongly suggests a certain price for the service. Omega has been in the process of "up-scaling" their image and price points in recent years. They want to compete more directly with the Big Kahuna, Rolex. To do that, they need to have more Rolex-like pricing and be perceived as in their league. Unfortunately, that means higher pricing.

They are stealing market share from Rolex according to an article I recently read, so I guess it is working.

By "excellent", do you mean Rolex authorized/certified?

If so, I would like to know where you are easily finding this type of service for for under $300.

I have owned Rolex in the past and authorized service/watchmakers would not remove the back of the case for much less than $300.

I may have mispoke, the gentlemen I have been conversing with will have perform a complete factory service for roughly $375.

etc etc.

I am sorry you find my thread hilarious. I agree that it takes a certain set of special skills, special knowledge, and special education; but, I do not like how Omega seems to be fixing the price.

I guess anyone else who agrees with your point should never be disheartened by the cost of healthcare...right? I mean, it requires special skills, special tools, and special knowledge....and it fixes the ultmate 24/7 machine:001_smile

I kind of want to put this thread to bed, and I will update when/where I send the watch for service. This was one of those life lessons...I got this watch when I was 21, and did not know anything about watch service...I will be wiser in the future :)

The fact is the factory stations always charge top dollar for service no matter the brand and the more expensive the watch or complkicated the more they charge. Independents who are truly competent can charge whatever they want because they are like rare gems.

When a watchmaker says they can't work on this or that watch especially if its a basic watch what they are really saying is they can't probably because of limited skills. Highly specialized watches with complications are another story and even then a true watch repairer should be able to do the work but it may require special tools he may not want to buy, With an Omega there are enough of them around that a watch repairer should have them.

Getting any competent watch repairer these days is a real problem and one trip to a ham handed "repairer" and the watch will never run the same.

Sluggo, when you say "cleaning", is your watch functional or just needs to be cleaned?

For that price I would rather keep it dirty.

If on the other hand this is a repair job, then depending on labor hours and parts, the amount might not be that high.

A total cleaning involves complete disassembly, cleaning and oiling. I am lucky that I have a man that can do it for around $350 which I think is reasonable about every 7 years.

Later,
Richard

Last edited:
Here is an example of what happens...one jewelry sore can not support a watch repairman with enough benchwork to make a living, so in many cities, the repairman will have thier own shop, sometimes at home and they will do the work out of 5 to15 jewelry stores....

My friend charges the jewelry store $30 for a basic cleaning, however, YOU will pay $50 to $75 at the jewelry store serviceng your watch. I just spoke to him and he charge a store about $250 to clean an expnsive watch and the store turned around and charged the client $750 for the service.

Nice days work, huh ??

So what you need to find is the repairman that everyone sends thier watches...I was lucky, he was my neighbor....

Unfortunately the luxury watch market isn't geared to the needs of average people who receive expensive watches as gifts. 99% of people who buy Swiss watches costing thousands of dollars are pretty well to do and as such, just as the watch is a luxury object, having them repair it is a luxury service.

If your watch is born in a little land locked mountain country in Europe, you automatically pay a several hundred percent premium over what the actual physical quality of the watch would command.

As for quality, I have an automatic Orient watch that cost $130, I bought it about 5 years ago now, have never had anything done to it, and it keeps time accuarate to within a couple seconds per day. So clearly in this day and age it is possible to produce extremely high quality automatic movements for very little money, which are maintenance free for what you'd expect to be the lifetime of the watch.

Yeah, there are legitimate costs for watchmakers.

However, you have to ask yourself if the cost is worth incurring in the first place. Service costs more or less killed the passion I had for watches. I still keep a few decent ones around, but am far more likely to sell and buy another when service is needed. It just isn't worth it to me.

Same goes with various high-maintenance cars, like the German ones mentioned. They just aren't worth it. You throw money into them, they depreciate like crazy, and then you have to throw more money into them.

I've switched my hobbies and interests to ones with lower service costs. Fountain pens are cheap and easy to work on. While some tools and skills are necessary, I can fix my tube gear myself. And I won't even consider a car or motorcycle I can't wrench on or have to wait five weeks to have parts shipped from Stuttgart or something.

My wife bought me an Omega Constellation back in the late 70's. Very impressive and it ran great until the mid-1980's when it suddenly stopped. The problem was diagnosed as something to do with the watch's magnets and the authorized service center couldn't fix it. No one else would touch it either.

I absolutely hate things that don't work. I have worn Swiss Army watches since the mid-1980's and I have never had one fail. They aren't as pretty as my Omega but they are inexpensive and keep time accurately. That's good enough for me.

The reason that I bought an Omega is that no watch that I have ever bought has lasted more than 4 years. I put it on my wrist and go do life. I water ski, shoot guns, fly fish, crawl around in the mud when playing paintball in the winter, and at the end of the day jump into the spa. I had a very nice Seiko that I paid $400 for and it lasted 3 years, I loved the watch so I bought another, it lasted 3 years....

I got an Omega because, no insult intended to anyone, I felt a Rolex is over rated for the price. It is a lot of bling which is good, but not for me. My Omega Seamaster Automatic is a tank. It has been a year and a half and it looks as good as the day that I bought it. If it will last 6 years before cleaning I am ahead of the ballgame. I just love wearing a watch, don't know why, but I just do.

Take Care,
Richard

wow, it makes you wonder if having such great watches is worth it. i mean for regular joe having this type of watch isnt worth it, maybe you should just switch to a casio. i have one from 1978 and hasnt been serviced since, just a battery change every 6 to 8 years. still ticking and taking a licking.

well sonny boy take that there casio at depth and see how it measure's up to a fine dive watch like a Omega and then you will know where the money went

but if you want to get all technical and all that I guess owning a Omega these days is like owning a fancy over priced Swatch watch as they are about the same mechanical guts inside of them now and come from under the same umbrella

I got me a whole chest full of dive watches and can say as sure as day that my

orange face Doxa is real mans watch and not some showing fluff jewelry , I can take it off and hammer a 1o penny nail with it if needed

"Sonny boy"? Gentlemen, a reminder to conduct your discourse in this thread in a manner in keeping with the gentlemanly nature of the site.

Top Bottom