What's new

thread size on gem/eveready razor handles

could someone tell me the thread size on gem/eveready handles. I would like to explore the possibility of converting a drill press to a hndle that would serve as an universal handle for them. I guess I would need the right die for it. Do you think it's doable?

proxy.php

There are two thread sizes Sir... The Ever Ready 1914 and some 1924 and most Lather Catchers & Damaskeene use a 8,32 thread size...:w00t:

There is also a 10,32 thread size that fits most 1912s and some 1924 Models...You can purchase 10,32 grub screws that will fit most Modern DE & Custom handles ...I do this myself as above in this 1924...To get a Modern handle to fit the 8, 32 thread models most folks tap the heads out..:thumbup1:

Billy

Last edited:
Being somewhat mechanically challenged, could you explain further what I would do? Pix would be an immense help. Thanx.

The later Gems and Ever-Ready 1912's and 1924's have the 10-32 thread, same as a DE handle, so they just need a setscrew to convert the thread in the handle from female to male.

$setscrew.JPG

I like to use a little thread locker to secure the setscrew in the handle. Of course, I don't ever plan on using the handle with a DE razor.

The Ever-Ready 1914, Gem Damaskeene and Gem 1912 travel sets have a smaller thread, so it is necessary to drill & re-tap the razor handle mounting hole to the 10-32 thread. DeWalt sells kits with the tap and the appropriate drill.

$tap1.jpg

Of course, once you do this you will no longer be able to use the original handle with the razor. I would never do this to a pristine collector grade piece, and it is illegal to drill out a Lather Catcher. It's not illegal? Well, it should be.

When done, you have classic single edge razors with modern handles.

$handles4.jpg

L to R: Gem Damaskeene, Ever-Ready 1912, 1914, 1924.

--Bob

Thanx Bob for the info. 4 out of the 6 razors that I own use the 8,32 threads. I'll probably get some 10,32 set screws and go the easy route and preserve the ones using 8,32's. I have quite a few handles that i can use that I bought.

The later Gems and Ever-Ready 1912's and 1924's have the 10-32 thread, same as a DE handle, so they just need a setscrew to convert the thread in the handle from female to male.

View attachment 618338

I like to use a little thread locker to secure the setscrew in the handle. Of course, I don't ever plan on using the handle with a DE razor.

The Ever-Ready 1914, Gem Damaskeene and Gem 1912 travel sets have a smaller thread, so it is necessary to drill & re-tap the razor handle mounting hole to the 10-32 thread. DeWalt sells kits with the tap and the appropriate drill.

View attachment 618341

Of course, once you do this you will no longer be able to use the original handle with the razor. I would never do this to a pristine collector grade piece, and it is illegal to drill out a Lather Catcher. It's not illegal? Well, it should be.

When done, you have classic single edge razors with modern handles.

View attachment 618343

L to R: Gem Damaskeene, Ever-Ready 1912, 1914, 1924.

--Bob

Excellent idea to re tap the threads! Opens up a whole range of handle possibilities.

The Damaskeene appears to have a slightly curved top cap. I have a 1912 British Ever Ready that shaves very well, and all the Damaskeeene's Ive seen appear to be identical, except for the one pictured.

Tell me more about it. :)

Just a side note to keep it simple. You don't need to drill the hole first. The razor head is only made of thin brass which is a soft material. I tapped mine without drilling it first. I just used a tap wrench and it was no problem. Here is a picture of my 1914. I used a 10-32 tap.

$ER_1914.jpg

With the Damaskeene I have I got an 8/32 stainless set screw, wrapped 2/32 of teflon plumbers tape around it (that is a lot of wrap) dropped some Blue Loctite in the long handle and...it works great, invisible, no drilling, just a wee bit of patience to let the Blue grab hold. It will also easily break loose if you want to change handles.

Wow. Very ingenius. These are great suggestions. Gives me good choices with a lot of courses to take. Thanks. Never have I been disappointed in responses to questions or problems. One heck of a forum!!

I know this is an old thread , but I measured one of my Small diameter Ever-Ready Razor handles , and the thread pitch seems to be 24, as in 8-24 which is an odd size , not an 8-32 as stated above. I also read somewhere during my recent Google searches in a machinist web site, that was the case . I would hate for people to be ruining threads of their razors cramming an 8-32 thread into something designed for an 8-24 odd ball thread ...... I am going to also see if there is a metric equivalent to an 8-24 size . Any comments ?

I know this is an old thread , but I measured one of my Small diameter Ever-Ready Razor handles , and the thread pitch seems to be 24, as in 8-24 which is an odd size , not an 8-32 as stated above. I also read somewhere during my recent Google searches in a machinist web site, that was the case . I would hate for people to be ruining threads of their razors cramming an 8-32 thread into something designed for an 8-24 odd ball thread ...... I am going to also see if there is a metric equivalent to an 8-24 size . Any comments ?

Close, but it's British Standard Whitworth 5/32 x 24, or BSW 5/32 x 24, the large thread versions are 10 x 32.

Close, but it's British Standard Whitworth 5/32 x 24, or BSW 5/32 x 24, the large thread versions are 10 x 32.
I was wondering about this. I found that a 6/32 is too small and a 8/32 is too large and could for the life of me find an in between size.
The quest to find said size screws locally. Could possibly be futile in my area!

#8 x 24 would be close, but there is no such thing, no screw, no tap, no die, I've looked!!! Definitely 24 pitch, with a tapered thread, the only thing we still use something like that for is pipe thread, and they don't make taps and dies for pipes that small. Some fellas in the UK who work on old bikes have and use vintage taps and dies in BSW 5/32 x 24, but they are old and hard to find. I did find a tap in Canada, but with shipping it was going to be about 80 bucks!!! And there still is no screw to fit the hole that tap with it, you would need to get a die also and make a screw.

I'm very opposed to tapping any vintage razor to #10 x 32, there are plenty of them that are already that size.

I'm very opposed to tapping any vintage razor to #10 x 32, there are plenty of them that are already that size.
There lies my dilemma. I'll just switch handles for the old Star head that I have with no handle until the day I can get my hands on the proper one.

As for obtaining screws and threading taps in BSW and Whitworth sizes you might check with sources for antique and classic British motorcycles and cars restoration parts and services. My brother still has a full set of Whitworth Craftsman wrenches from the late 1950s or early 1960s as he had a college friend who had a Triumph TR that he raced and the British auto industry at the time was still using BSF, BSW and Whitworth fasteners. By the time of my Triumph 1967 motorcycle they had switched to SAE size fasteners and today most automotive stuff is metric. Outside razors so far as I know but early Honda motorcycles used JIS metric fasteners, several sizes of which used different pitch threads than current ISO Metric standard fasteners.

#8 x 24 would be close, but there is no such thing, no screw, no tap, no die, I've looked!!! Definitely 24 pitch, with a tapered thread, the only thing we still use something like that for is pipe thread, and they don't make taps and dies for pipes that small. Some fellas in the UK who work on old bikes have and use vintage taps and dies in BSW 5/32 x 24, but they are old and hard to find. I did find a tap in Canada, but with shipping it was going to be about 80 bucks!!! And there still is no screw to fit the hole that tap with it, you would need to get a die also and make a screw.

UPDATE:

8 x 24 tap and die are available on the web from Victor Machinery Exchange and I have used them to make up handle adapters that allow the use of a modern handle with the old early Gem, Kampfe and Ever-Ready razors with the oddball threading. The same source has many hard to find and oddball thread taps and dies, both metric and inch threads.

I have two ER 1912, both made in England.
1. Aluminium handle weighs 13g, brass head weighs 22g. Handle has a simple dotted pattern
2. Brass head 22g and handle 39g. Handle has curly decorations

The aluminium version I believe to be a 5/32|24 thread
The all brass version seems to me to be 10|32

Can anyone confirm?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm not sure I can be of much help. I purchased some 10/32 set screws and plan on trying them on my ER Shovel Heads to see if I could use my DE handles on them. It's one of those things I've been meaning to test but haven't. I don't have a way to measure the diameter, but I'm not interested in materially changing the razor, I'd rather just figure out a way to use a some kind of gradient set screw.

Top Bottom