What's new

Those Late Night Dates... Valentines Day?

Anyone else using Valentines Day as an excuse to blow the budget and cook up a treat of a meal to share with a significant other?

We always time shift any sort of celebration, birthdays, anniversaries anything else like that, to a close falling Saturday night. This year the Saturday after Valentines Day works out best so plans are being made and a menu mostly sorted, just waiting for a few further pieces to fall into place.

dave

I know several couples that do this sort of thing. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) menus. I'm what many gents would call blessed. For some various reasons the other half is intensely against any celebration of the day, or even mere mention of celebrating. I have been told in no uncertain terms that even a single chocolate given to her on that day would be my undoing. I choose to take her at her word on this one. :lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've been married a long time. On Valentine's I just hand her a gift certificate to the nail salon. You can hear her skip and giggle all the way out to the car. It's a lot cheaper than a bottle of BV Georges de latour.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sunday and Monday are my days off, and my wife's first cardiac rehab is tomorrow, so we did our thing today. We had lunch at our Mexican place. I had chicken mole' and she had enchiladas. We both had a 12 oz margarita. She has about two drinks a year, and generally doesn't drink a whole margarita- she did today. She was feeling good :) We then went to see a movie that I am almost embarrassed to admit. What a man does for his wife...

Did our meal Saturday night working from the February Cook Out premise, Beef Stew.

Appetizer- Walnut Encrusted Capriny Goat Cheese with a Red Pepper Coulis.

Mains- Flemish Beef Stew with Lemon Gremolata, oven fries with fresh, grainy mustard mayonnaise, pickled vegetables, cornichons and gherkins.

Salad- Mixed greens, sprouts and edible flower with Honey/Mustard Vinaigrette

Dessert- Caramelized Pear Tart

Made the stew Friday to give it time to come together and made the coulis Saturday afternoon as it was suppose to cool. Everything else was done on the fly.

Beverages- Greyhound, Henkell Rosé, Cathedral Cellar- Cabernet Sauvignon

Music throughout...
Left of the Dial, Dispatches from the 80's underground
Johnny Winter, Step Back
Sleater-Kinney, Woods
Black Keys, Rubber Factory plus Thickfreakness

dave

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Dave wins.

Much better than my gala affair-
Appetizer: Knish
Entrée: NY style tube steak, Nathan's. (She's a vegetarian, so it was a bun with mustard and relish for her.)
Side: Sauerkraut
Dessert: Famous Amos Chocolate Chip cookie
Beverage: Ch. Gruaud Larose, 1982 (Hey, I'm not a complete barbarian.)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@ouch - do you get the Nathan's with a casing? The grocery store only has skinless. I need to break down and order the ones with casings direct

My wife and I don't do gifts. Instead, we get some think porterhouse steaks, some lobster tails, and some green veg (to make us eat "healthy"), and call it a date. Cost less than half what it would for a restaurant, and no babysitter cost (send the kids to bed and eat at home)

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife and I don't do gifts. Instead, we get some think porterhouse steaks, some lobster tails, and some green veg (to make us eat "healthy"), and call it a date. Cost less than half what it would for a restaurant, and no babysitter cost (send the kids to bed and eat at home)

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member
That is my kind of gift right there.

Top Bottom