What's new

The Three Amigos

What do you guys think of the three brushes? They all use same 24mm synthetic Maggard knot set about 19mm deep. I was playing with the shapes to see what is the right size and comfortable in hand. Any suggestions or thoughts on a proper size/weight of the brush or the knot selection? I was being cheap and bought the synthetic knots. I want to dip into silvertip but TGN has like 6 different kinds of silvertip and I can't decide. And also having the same description for Super Silvertip and Silvertip Grade A isn't helping much.

$IMG_2123.jpg$IMG_2133.jpg$z.jpg

Nice color swirls on the top right! I like the shape of the top middle one best, and it looks like you put an excellent shine on all 3. Great job!

Those look nice. I'd loft them up a little. I like a handle to loft ratio of about 60/40 or 70/30, but that's just me. YMMV.

Those look nice. I'd loft them up a little. I like a handle to loft ratio of about 60/40 or 70/30, but that's just me. YMMV.

I'm just the opposite with this type of synth. They're so soft with no backbone that I set the loft at twice the diameter to try and firm them up regardless of the length of the handle. That being said, I already gave one away and don't think the other two will stick around much longer. Synths just aren't for me. They're great for the price when you're making brushes, but for $2 more you can get boar knots from TGN that have plenty of spine and much softer tips than I expected.

I'm just the opposite with this type of synth. They're so soft with no backbone that I set the loft at twice the diameter to try and firm them up regardless of the length of the handle. That being said, I already gave one away and don't think the other two will stick around much longer. Synths just aren't for me. They're great for the price when you're making brushes, but for $2 more you can get boar knots from TGN that have plenty of spine and much softer tips than I expected.

Yup this is exactly what I did, I drilled little deeper to try and get a bit more backbone on these fibers. I did not think at all about the size of the handle to loft ratio. On the next one I might take that into consideration when I actually buy a better real badger hair instead of synthetic.

Yup this is exactly what I did, I drilled little deeper to try and get a bit more backbone on these fibers. I did not think at all about the size of the handle to loft ratio. On the next one I might take that into consideration when I actually buy a better real badger hair instead of synthetic.

Practice with the cheaper knots! They're fine to use and don't break the bank when things don't go as planned. They also make a great gift or PIF should you go that route. BTW - I saw these at IAP, nice to see you're a member there. Turning pens has really upped my skill level, and the knowledge base there is second to none.

Beautiful! I have to agree about the loft, set 'em deep (Synths get floppy fast). TGN's descriptions are tough to decipher, even when they're not identical. Jay may know about the Silvertips, I love the Finest from TGN. My favorite brushes are my two TGN Finest restores. Your resin looks great, but the style is really cool. The gold/blue (the shorter/more angular) is my favorite shape of them.

Top Bottom