What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

It sounds like it's not worth the price. I was checking out Gravity Paste by the same company that makes Claymation. It looks like the better product. But for $24, I'm not sure if it's worth it. It looks like a good product, but i don't know if it's worth the high price tag. These companies hike the price if their products to the point where you've got be willing to risk throwing money away by purchasing them. I want a product that doesn't lose it's hold after a few hours. Byrd Matte and Uppercut Matte Clay didn't work for me. Baxter of California works, but it's a heck of a lot like Dax Wave and Groom. $20 vs. $3. Hmmmm. I think I'll go for the $3. I'm just saying.

I'm going to stay with the High Life Series for now. I purchased a tin of Uppercut Monster Hold for $15. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. It should be similar to Reuzel Pink heavy hold.

I am very interested in reading your opinion on their monster hold. Gravity paste is a product i have my eyes on, it s next in my buying list. It has shine and texture like a clay. Sounds like a winner.

I seem to always go back to claymation, it justs work pretty well for me in particular if i use it for a few days.

I have not tried uppercut deluxe clay but reviews are pretty positive. What did you not like it about it ?

I have been using Doc Elliot Pomades for the last year or so. I am about out of my last tin, and it appears the company has gone out of business. They are out of stock all over.

I am looking for a good medium to firm, beeswax-based pomade to replace it.

Looks like VooDoo Brew II is one I should be looking at. How does it compare to either Doc Elliot or Dr. Rubin's Firm?

Voodoo brew 2 is in the heavy hold camp. What have you tried ?
I think you should the the inexpensive one. They are classic for a reason:
- nu nile
- dax wave and groom
- sweet gerogia brown blue
- murray's superior

Dax and nu niles being my 2 favourites.

I have been using Doc Elliot Pomades for the last year or so. I am about out of my last tin, and it appears the company has gone out of business. They are out of stock all over.

I am looking for a good medium to firm, beeswax-based pomade to replace it.

Looks like VooDoo Brew II is one I should be looking at. How does it compare to either Doc Elliot or Dr. Rubin's Firm?

$voodoo.jpg

Hi Bassman.

Voodoo Brew II is different from Doc Elliot. It’s not greasy. It contains petroleum, and I think it has a better hold than Doc Elliot. It has a nice shine. It’s not a Royal Crown type of shine. It’s more moderate. It’s a completely different look than Doc Elliot. I rate Voodoo Brew II as a much better product than Doc Elliot. However, if you’re into shine, then it might not be what you’re looking for, because it’s not as shiny. The thing that makes Voodoo Brew II so good is volume you get. It’s like using High Life Heavy pomade, which gives great hold with a medium shine. The stuff doesn’t weight your hair down. For me, I like Voodoo Brew II, because I can get height on my pompadour. I can’t do that with other pomades or most of the heavy pomades, because they weigh my hair down.

Dr. Rubin’s Firm hold pomade is thick stuff without much shine. It’s different from Voodoo Brew II. I do like Dr. Rubin’s pomade. It doesn’t look as good in my hair as Voodoo Brew II.

The scent of Voodoo Brew II is amazing. it smells like candy, and it’s always there.

For $8 per tin, Voodoo Brew II is the best pomade I’ve ever used. I’d paid three times that amount for other pomades and got an inferior product. The entire High Life series of pomades are outstanding. Even their light pomade is really good stuff. Voodoo Brew I is similar to Voodoo Brew II, but it doesn’t have the shine. It’s more matte and designed for people with darker hair. I have blond hair and I didn’t have any problems with it. The only negative was the complete lack of shine. My hair looked great with it though. The High Life producers fixed the problems they had with Voodoo Brew I when they came out with Voodoo Brew II. It’s a next generation pomade and very, very good.

For users that are into volumizing pomades, Voodoo Brew 2 is one of the best. High Life Heavy is also incredibly good, as is High Life Medium. You couldn’t go wrong if you purchased all three of them. They’re all very good in their own way. These three pomades are better than anything I’ve used before. The guy that created the High Life series clearly knew what he was doing. Dax was smart to buy him out. It’s a great series of pomades.

I am very interested in reading your opinion on their monster hold. Gravity paste is a product i have my eyes on, it s next in my buying list. It has shine and texture like a clay. Sounds like a winner.

I seem to always go back to claymation, it justs work pretty well for me in particular if i use it for a few days.

I have not tried uppercut deluxe clay but reviews are pretty positive. What did you not like it about it ?

I’m going to be purchasing a bunch of new clay products in 2017. I want to buy Claymation and Gravity Paste. I’m very interested in both of those products. I want to focus the remainder of 2017 on trying different wax pomades. I’ve been using a lot of normal heavy oil based pomades like Murray’s before that, and it’s interesting to try more wax stuff. I’m getting a completely different look to my hair now. I used wax pomades from time to time in the past, but I never used them for more than one day to really study how good they were. When I did use them, I applied too much of the product in my hair and it looked bad. In hindsight, I probably used five to six times too much wax pomade than what I needed, and the net effect was my hair being weighed down like an anchor.

I initially liked Uppercut Matte Clay when I first applied it, but by the evening, my hair wilted completely. It lost volume entirely, and ended up having to use water to comb it out of my face. I never get that with normal pomades. The next time I used it, I applied more of the Uppercut Matte Clay hoping that it wouldn’t happen again. I ended up getting the same thing. I’m at work most of the time from 8 a.m. to midnight, and I can’t have my hair falling apart. I’m not going to be using the Uppercut Matte Clay when I’m at work any longer. The duration of the product is too short. I think it’s meant for someone who needs it for an outing, but not for someone using it for an entire day and evening. Baxter of California Clay is a much better product. it’s like a weak version of Dax. I don’t think it was worth the $20 that I paid for it.

I did like the Uppercut Monster Hold pomade. I just didn’t like the high price tag, and the extra ingredients that it contains. I don’t see the hold being that great. I was expecting a rock solid hold better than anything that I’d ever tried before. It doesn’t quite live up to the name “Monster Hold” or the high price tag that it has here in the U.S. I’m not sure if it’s less expensive in the UK than it is here. There are better pomades that go for less than half the price, one of them being Dax Wave and Groom for $3. You can’t blame the producers of their product for wanting to charge a lot for their pomade, but you can’t blame the users for steering clear of it. If Uppercut Monster Hold were less expensive, I imagine they would sell far more of their pomade. They need to look at things from a logical stand point in monitor what people are saying about the product if they want to sell more of their product.$uppercut1.jpg

Last edited:
Monster Hold starts out fairly strong, but the hold really relaxes in the heat/through the day. I love the scent though, so I'm slowly using it up.

SGB Blue let me down over the weekend. Terrible hold until I showered the next day and restyled it. Kind of bummed about it since this was previously a great performer. I guess my hair needs to be wet when I apply this.

View attachment 701251

Hi Bassman.

Voodoo Brew II is different from Doc Elliot. It’s not greasy. It contains petroleum, and I think it has a better hold than Doc Elliot. It has a nice shine. It’s not a Royal Crown type of shine. It’s more moderate. It’s a completely different look than Doc Elliot. I rate Voodoo Brew II as a much better product than Doc Elliot. However, if you’re into shine, then it might not be what you’re looking for, because it’s not as shiny. The thing that makes Voodoo Brew II so good is volume you get. It’s like using High Life Heavy pomade, which gives great hold with a medium shine. The stuff doesn’t weight your hair down. For me, I like Voodoo Brew II, because I can get height on my pompadour. I can’t do that with other pomades or most of the heavy pomades, because they weigh my hair down.

Dr. Rubin’s Firm hold pomade is thick stuff without much shine. It’s different from Voodoo Brew II. I do like Dr. Rubin’s pomade. It doesn’t look as good in my hair as Voodoo Brew II.

The scent of Voodoo Brew II is amazing. it smells like candy, and it’s always there.

For $8 per tin, Voodoo Brew II is the best pomade I’ve ever used. I’d paid three times that amount for other pomades and got an inferior product. The entire High Life series of pomades are outstanding. Even their light pomade is really good stuff. Voodoo Brew I is similar to Voodoo Brew II, but it doesn’t have the shine. It’s more matte and designed for people with darker hair. I have blond hair and I didn’t have any problems with it. The only negative was the complete lack of shine. My hair looked great with it though. The High Life producers fixed the problems they had with Voodoo Brew I when they came out with Voodoo Brew II. It’s a next generation pomade and very, very good.

For users that are into volumizing pomades, Voodoo Brew 2 is one of the best. High Life Heavy is also incredibly good, as is High Life Medium. You couldn’t go wrong if you purchased all three of them. They’re all very good in their own way. These three pomades are better than anything I’ve used before. The guy that created the High Life series clearly knew what he was doing. Dax was smart to buy him out. It’s a great series of pomades.

Shine is much less important to me than the hold. It sounds like either Brew II or Brew I are worth looking into, especially at that price point.

Thanks!!

Monster Hold starts out fairly strong, but the hold really relaxes in the heat/through the day. I love the scent though, so I'm slowly using it up.

SGB Blue let me down over the weekend. Terrible hold until I showered the next day and restyled it. Kind of bummed about it since this was previously a great performer. I guess my hair needs to be wet when I apply this.

Yeah, the scent is great with Monster Hold.

I purchased two tins of Monster Hold on Amazon. With the tins holding only 2.5oz, I wanted to make sure I got enough product to really know whether I liked the stuff or not. Right now, I can't say it's a better deal than buying Lockhart's heavy hold, Voodoo Brew 2 or High Life Heavy. Those are less expensive pomades that give you more product. Monster Hold has the better looking tin though. They did a great job with their artwork on the tin.

After using claymation for about 2weeks, I am back on dax wave and groom! You can find it in many places in the uk along with the short and neat version for about 3£.

One thing i have learned with claymation is that less is better. I like an hairstyle that looks fairly natural so that my hair have more texture and a natural flow. Because my hair are fairly dry and unruly pomade works great for me.

I have decided to now go on a dx marathon to use the same product for a couple of weeks hoping to learn mora about what it can and can't do.

After using claymation for about 2weeks, I am back on dax wave and groom! You can find it in many places in the uk along with the short and neat version for about 3£.

One thing i have learned with claymation is that less is better. I like an hairstyle that looks fairly natural so that my hair have more texture and a natural flow. Because my hair are fairly dry and unruly pomade works great for me.

I have decided to now go on a dx marathon to use the same product for a couple of weeks hoping to learn mora about what it can and can't do.

Hey Romain, I've been using Dax Wave and Groom the last couple of days myself. I switched to Voodoo Brew I today, and what a difference. The Dax is like Brylcreem in comparison to this stuff. You get WAY, WAY more volume from Voodoo Brew than Dax. There's literally no comparison. I do like the shine with Dax and I definitely like the price, but it's not as good as Voodoo Brew I & 2 when it comes to volume. Voodoo Brew I is completely matte, so I mixed it with High Life Light pomade. That's a waxy light, which is really nice as a topper. I only use it for that purpose when I'm using matte-like wax pomades. It's great stuff.

I used to love Dax, but I'm now totally hooked on voodoo Brew pomades and the High Life Heavy. The medium isn't quite as good.

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION], today i tried a new barber that just opened in my area. They did a smashing job and used gravity paste in my hair.... just awesome

Judge yourself

proxy.php

$american.jpg
Wow, that looks really good. How does the Gravity paste hold up? It's listed as a firm hold.

I've been researching gravity paste and apparently it's a similar product as American Crew Fiber, which goes for $9 for 3 oz. I'm going to purchase that, Gravity Paste, American Crew Molding Clay and American Crew Forming cream. All three go for $30 combined on Amazon. What a deal! Those products for $20 each in the grocery store near my house. They cut the price on Amazon.

Interested in Quicksand by the same makers as Claymation and Gravity paste. That looks like interesting stuff as well.. Yeah, it's around the same price as those products unfortunately.

How was your experiment with Dax Wave and Groom? It's got to be hard going back to that stuff after using Claymation and Gravity paste. Who can beat the price and the shine of Dax? For $3, you get a product that might not be perfect, but it's good enough to do the job without breaking the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a can of DAX High & Tight, High Life Voodoo Brew I, and Lockhart's Authentic Goon Grease Heavy Hold.

They are on their way from WCS. I am looking forward to see how they compare, and which ones I like best.

Last edited:
I got a can of DAX High & Tight, High Life Voodoo Brew I, and Lockhart's Authentic Goon Grease Heavy Hold.

They are on their way from WCS. I am looking forward to see how they compare, and which ones I like best.

I've got all those pomades you just purchased. Here's my opinion of them:

Dax High and Tight Awesome Hold: It reminds me of a weak version of Dax Wave and Groom. The hold isn't that great despite the name "Awesome Hold" and the scent take some getting used to. I never did get used to it. When I use that stuff, I have mask it by putting on another pomade on top of it. I wasn't impressed at all with Awesome Hold.

Goon Grease: The hold isn't that great. It's a firm hold, but not a heavy. People like it because of it's shine. I think the stuff is overrated. A better product from Lockhart's is their Fire and Brimstone Heavy, which an improved version of Goon Grease with red coloring. I also prefer Lockhart's heavy. It's good stuff as long as you add a topper. It has a great hold. I ended up tossing my Goon Grease because I hated it. It's very overrated. Lockhart makes good pomades, but not great pomades. They're all flawed in their own way. I would get the Fire and Brimstone pomade if you wanted a heavy with shine. Of course, you can save a little money by getting Lockhart's Heavy and simply add your own topper. The heavy is a little cheaper in places like Amazon and Ebay.

Voodoo Brew I: It's a nice wax pomade with a matte shine. It's kind of waxy. When I use it, I include High Life Light pomade as a topper, because it's too matte for my tastes. I don't like pomades that not only have no shine, but also take away my normal hair shine. Voodoo Brew I is one of those pomade. I prefer Voodoo Brew II pomades. It's an improved version of the Voodoo Brew line in my view. I think the hold is better as well as the shine. I also prefer the scent. Voodoo Brew I is decent stuff, but not nearly as good as Voodoo Brew II. The makers of these products appeared to make improvements in the second Voodoo Brew pomade. All the flaws in the original one were fixed in Voodoo Brew II.

I'm going to finish off my can of Goon Grease. It's about 40% full. It's in my top 3 favorite pomades. It is one of the few pomades I've used that can stand up to the heat and humidity in Central Florida.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Quicksand is horrible. It makes my hair look dry to an unhealthy extent and has a weird smell to it. Claymation is okay but Flagship's Dead Sea Clay has better texture.

Quicksand is horrible. It makes my hair look dry to an unhealthy extent and has a weird smell to it. Claymation is okay but Flagship's Dead Sea Clay has better texture.

I started a new thread to discuss non pomade related topic. Posted the link just a few post before.

Interrested in getting opinions on clay there :)

Top Bottom