What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Hey Romain,

it sounds like you had some problems with Murray's Superior. I always shampoo it out and reapply each day otherwise my hair gets weighed down with it. Murray's is a heavy oil, so it's going to weigh your hair down big time. You've got to wash it daily to keep getting the great look it gives. Also, try applying from back to front when putting in the product. That way it helps decrease the chances of the front of your hair getting weighed down. Most of the product will wind up in the back and top of your hair, but that's fine. Murray's is so strong that it doesn't need much for the pomade to still give the front of your hair a great look. Additionally, you might want to try adding Murray's or Dax to your hair when it's dry. It's a different look. It gives more volume when Murray's and Dax are added to dry hair rather than wet hair.

I used a combination of Dax Wave and Groom and Dax Green and Gold in my DRY hair last week. What a look! I combined the two pomades in my hand rather than layering it. With my hair being dry, it was like using a clay but with a shine. Clays are good for creating volume. You might want to give a clay a try. I just got into them recently, and I'm pleased. Baxter of California Matt Clay, Uppercut Matt Clay, Dapper Dan Matt Clay, Lockhart's Matt Clay, and Mr Natty clay. The clays are kind of like using Dax Wave and Groom, but they give more volume.

Hi David,

Happy to read you. Since my last post i have been experimenting a bit. I have found a couple of things:

1. Strong hold are what i need to use. I have used reusel green and found that i needed a lot to style my hair. Even though the results were not what i wanted.

2. Murray is super greasy in particular the build up can weight down my hair and kill the volume. I need to experiment more with it. I am starting to think that i don't like pomade with too much mineral oil.

3. As you said working in my hair from back to front gets me the best results.

4. I get very nice results with highlife if i use a tiny bit.

One thing i am not sure about is styling my hair dry. Each time i have attempted that i got very bad results. It s either my hair type or the lack of expertise experience or a combination of both.

It s funny you are mentioning clay, i have started looking at them. I got a tin of claymation from hanz de fuko and i am looking to grab uppercut clay.

Thanks for the recommendations!

$high life.png

I've been getting great results from using High Life medium pomade. It's lighter than the High Life heavy, but not that much lighter. It's totally non-greasy. It does have a nice shine to it. After using Uppercut Matt Clay and some of the other matt clay pomades, High Life medium has a really nice shine to it. It's not super shiny, but it's still very good. I like this stuff. It's perfect for everyday grooming. The coconut scent is always there. It's the same ingredients as High Life Heavy, so there's no mineral oil there. Been using it with a side part. I like this pomade so much, I ordered another tin. I found it for just $8 on the net, and I had to buy it.

I'm using High Life Medium today. I think my hair looks better today than it did yesterday when I was using Uppercut Matt Clay. It looks more natural. I'm able to get height with this pomade. It's not weighing my hair down. Murray's will definitely do that, which is why it's not really good stuff if you want to get height on your hair. I like Murray's for a side part, and to straighten my thick hair. It takes the curl out of my hair, and I'm able to create a style with it and keep it that way. I would use it everyday, but I'm always interested in trying different stuff out. There are so many great pomades. I never thought I would like clay pomades, but I love them now. I can fully understand why a lot of people like them, because they are GREAT and give a completely different look from normal pomades.

I think you'll like the clays. They give you a little more volume than Dax Wave and Groom. I wouldn't say a lot more, but a little more. The stuff has a lot of texture, which gives it the strong hold to get height in your hair.

View attachment 698446

I've been getting great results from using High Life medium pomade. It's lighter than the High Life heavy, but not that much lighter. It's totally non-greasy. It does have a nice shine to it. After using Uppercut Matt Clay and some of the other matt clay pomades, High Life medium has a really nice shine to it. It's not super shiny, but it's still very good. I like this stuff. It's perfect for everyday grooming. The coconut scent is always there. It's the same ingredients as High Life Heavy, so there's no mineral oil there. Been using it with a side part. I like this pomade so much, I ordered another tin. I found it for just $8 on the net, and I had to buy it.

I'm using High Life Medium today. I think my hair looks better today than it did yesterday when I was using Uppercut Matt Clay. It looks more natural. I'm able to get height with this pomade. It's not weighing my hair down. Murray's will definitely do that, which is why it's not really good stuff if you want to get height on your hair. I like Murray's for a side part, and to straighten my thick hair. It takes the curl out of my hair, and I'm able to create a style with it and keep it that way. I would use it everyday, but I'm always interested in trying different stuff out. There are so many great pomades. I never thought I would like clay pomades, but I love them now. I can fully understand why a lot of people like them, because they are GREAT and give a completely different look from normal pomades.

I think you'll like the clays. They give you a little more volume than Dax Wave and Groom. I wouldn't say a lot more, but a little more. The stuff has a lot of texture, which gives it the strong hold to get height in your hair.

David,

How strong is the old of the medium ? I expect it to be in the same ball park as nu niles. Is that a correct assessment?

Today i have used claymation. It s very expensive but only a tiny bit is needed to style my hair. Have you heard of it ?

I found it very hard to scoop out but once warmed in the end it was very easy to apply and style my hair with. As you said, it gives my hair more texture and it s reworkable.

Based on reviews it doesn't leave your hair that easy. I think uppercut clay is quite similar. It sounds like calling them a clay pomade is a good description!

I ll keep using that for now !

I saw reviews of Claymation, and I didn't like what I saw of the product. It doesn't contain the same ingredients as the clay pomades I brought. For example, Uppercut Matt Clay has the following incredients:

Petrolatum, Cera Microcristallina, Paraffinum Liquidum, Ozokerite, Stearic Aci, Phenyl Trimethicone, Kaolin, Silica, Mentha Piperita Oil, Parfum, Linalool, D-Limonene, Illicium Verum Fruit Oil, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, Propylparaben, Tribehenin, Oleyl Alcohol, Lanolin, Lanolin Alcohol.

Claymation has these ingredients:

Beeswax, Bentonite, Ethylhexyl Stearate, VP/VA Copolymer, Aqua, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Kaolin, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Ceteareth-25, Paraffinum Liquidum, PVP, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, PEG-16 Macadamia Glycerides, Ethylhexylglycerin, Propanediol, Jojoba Esters, Butylene Glycol, Tocopherol.

The major question you have to ask yourself is it worth it to use a clay over a normal petroleum base pomade. For me, I'm not getting enough benefit from the clay for me to want to pay $20 per tin forever. In the case of Claymation, I believe it's $45 per tin. That is INCREDIBLY expensive for a product that does the same thing that less expensive clays like Uppercut Matt Clay go for. I got mine for $14.80. Baxter of California clay goes for $20, and it contains petroleum and lanolin. It's good stuff. The Claymation is just way, way too expensive for what it does.

High Life Medium is different than Nu Nile. It gives me a different look. It's thicker than Nu Nile. It's similar to High Life Heavy but slightly weaker. The same scent. All the High Life pomades have the same ingredients and all are non-greasy, which is pretty neat. I kind of get tired of greasy pomades after a while, and it's nice to change things up.

The major question you have to ask yourself is it worth it to use a clay over a normal petroleum base pomade. For me, I'm not getting enough benefit from the clay for me to want to pay $20 per tin forever. In the case of Claymation, I believe it's $45 per tin. That is INCREDIBLY expensive for a product that does the same thing that less expensive clays like Uppercut Matt Clay go for. I got mine for $14.80. Baxter of California clay goes for $20, and it contains petroleum and lanolin. It's good stuff. The Claymation is just way, way too expensive for what it does.

High Life Medium is different than Nu Nile. It gives me a different look. It's thicker than Nu Nile. It's similar to High Life Heavy but slightly weaker. The same scent. All the High Life pomades have the same ingredients and all are non-greasy, which is pretty neat. I kind of get tired of greasy pomades after a while, and it's nice to change things up.

About claymation price, the price of claymation isn't as high here in the uk comparatively to other products.

Claymation: i paid 14£ for mine
Uppercut deluxe clay: about 12£
Baxter of california clay: about 20£
Lockhart matte clay: about 15£ plus import taxes and shipping.

Hence why i did pick it up. Uppercut deluxe clay is next on my list as i want to get a better understanding of clay products.

With claymation i get super easy volume, since i can't use a blow dryer in the morning that s a great bonus. I am happy with it for now. I like that with clay my style is very alive.

It s different from pomade.

Hey Romain,

It sounds like you found a winner with the clays! Bravo! Your search is over. That's a huge positive. I like when I find pomades/clays that work for me.

I wish the clays were cheaper over here in the U.S. In the few days I've used Uppercut matt clay, I've used up a pretty significant amount of the 2oz container.

The volume is good with Uppercut Matt clay. It's likely similar to Claymation. I'm going to be getting some Paul Mitchell Shaping cream. This stuff looks really interesting. It's another matt clay product. It has a little bit of shine. I'm not sure if it's as good as the other matt clays. I want to find out.

Hey Romain,

It sounds like you found a winner with the clays! Bravo! Your search is over. That's a huge positive. I like when I find pomades/clays that work for me.

I wish the clays were cheaper over here in the U.S. In the few days I've used Uppercut matt clay, I've used up a pretty significant amount of the 2oz container.

The volume is good with Uppercut Matt clay. It's likely similar to Claymation. I'm going to be getting some Paul Mitchell Shaping cream. This stuff looks really interesting. It's another matt clay product. It has a little bit of shine. I'm not sure if it's as good as the other matt clays. I want to find out.
I've yet to try a clay. I want to though. I'll probably pick up Black Hills Clay made by Tasmaneian Tame.

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION],

Among the clay you have tried which one would you recommend me ? I want to compare claymation to something else so that i can get a better sense of the product.

Thanks !

Romain

Of the five clays that I recently purchased, I've tried two of them - Uppercut Matt Clay and Baxter of California. I like Baxter a little better because of the hold. They're similar products though. I get great volume from both. Uppercut was less expensive for me at $14.90 compared to $20 for Baxter.

The other matte clays I purchased are as follows: Byrd Matte [Dirty Byrd], Layrite Cement Clay pomade and Mr. Natty's Hair Clay Preparation. I used Byrd Matte in the past and I really liked it. That was several years ago. They call it a matte pomade and not a clay, but it has the characteristics of a clay. It's a great volume pomade to give the James Dean hair. I have these three sitting on my shelf waiting me to use them. I wanted to work my way though Uppercut and Baxter to accurately judge which of the two are better. Thus far, I like Baxter better.

I'm looking forward to trying Mr. Natty's Clay. This looks like really interesting stuff. It might be less expensive for you in the UK to get it, because it's made over there. It cost me $24 per tin.

Like I said, I'm going to order Paul Mitchell Shaping Cream. I think that should round out my collection of clays. There's also Layrite matte clay cream that I'm going to order. 4oz for $17. Layrite doesn't overcharge for their products.

Baxter of California held all day for me, and I liked that about it. In the evening, my hair looked just as good as it did when I first applied it in the morning. I like that about the product. My hair didn't look as good with the Uppercut matte clay by the evening. It kind of wilted on me, which is no big deal. I'd been working all day and it's expected. I think the reason why Baxter of California has such great longevity is the lanolin/petroleum combination. It also makes it tough to apply. It's like putting in Dax Wave and Groom.

Last edited:
I've yet to try a clay. I want to though. I'll probably pick up Black Hills Clay made by Tasmaneian Tame.

I only recently started to try clays myself in a real way. I used Byrd Matte pomade years ago, and I liked it but I forgot about it. I purchased a bunch of clays out of boredom because I wanted to review for them for the site, and I liked them a lot. I've tried a couple so far, and it's a completely different experience than using normal pomade. I could compare it to having Dax Wave and Groom in my hair for the third day. I can position my hair to whatever style and it stays in position. These are great volume pomades, and you don't need to use very much of them to create the perfect hair style. The downside is the cost of the clays. That's clearly a negative. However, you don't need to use very much to get the desired results. I use one-third of the amount of pomade that I normally use on regular non-clay pomades. It cuts down the application time as well. You can throw it your hair quickly in the morning and be out the door.

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION],

I think i ll wait to hear your opinion on those clay before i make my next buy. Uppercut is way cheaper in the uk than baxter do it may be a great product in it s own right.

I really value your opinion as you give products a fair trial regadless of their price and don't always recommend the most expensive. In the bunch of pomade i have tried dax wave and groom so far is my favourite with nu niles just behind.

Thanks
Romain

Hi Romain,

i like Dax Wave and Groom too. It doesn't dry my hair out the way Baxter of California does. I didn't have this problem with Uppercut Matte Clay or Byrd Matte pomade.

$voodoo.jpg

My new favorite pomades are as follows:

1. High Life Voodoo Brew 2
2. High Life Medium
3. High Life Heavy
4. Dax Wave and Groom
5. High Life Light
6. Voodoo Brew I
7. Murray''s Vintage
8. Rustin Heavy Hold
9. Dax Short and Neat
10. Murray's Excelento
11. Murray's Hair Glo

My favorites are...

1. Goon Grease.
2. Dax Wave and Groom.
3. Big Slick Devil's Punch.
4. Grim Grease Limandarina.
5. Grim Grease Aventus.
6. Black and White.
7. Sweet Georgia Brown.
8. Pomps Not Dead Medium.
9. Lockhart's Gents Grease.
10. Grim Grease Purple Mane.

My list differs from David's by quite a bit, but there are still more for me to try out there. My interests are always growing and changing. Maybe in a year or two, I'll be using Brylcreem exclusively.

[MENTION=55167]MegaBullfrog09[/MENTION] [MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION],

What s interresting in Your list is that dax very high.

I am currently experimenting on styling with different products.

One of the thing i have learned is that my hair and scalp are on the dry side. Usage of wax clay tend to dry them even further.

So i tried to combine claymation with a tiny bit of murray's superior.

I also bought a can of apothecary87 clay pomade.... their formula are quite basic hence why i have bypassed them. ( very similar to dax at 4 times the price)

@MegaBullfrog09 @David157,

What s interresting in Your list is that dax very high.

I am currently experimenting on styling with different products.

One of the thing i have learned is that my hair and scalp are on the dry side. Usage of wax clay tend to dry them even further.

So i tried to combine claymation with a tiny bit of murray's superior.

I also bought a can of apothecary87 clay pomade.... their formula are quite basic hence why i have bypassed them. ( very similar to dax at 4 times the price)

Apothecary87 clay pomade looks like good stuff. I checked it out and it has fewer chemicals than the other clays. This pomade is like normal pomade. I'm thinking about purchasing some.

The ingredients:

Petrolatum, Kaolin, Cera, Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum

I found Apothecary87 clay pomade for $15 for 3.4oz on Amazon. Compared to paying $20 for 2 oz of regular clay pomade, Apothcary87 is a great deal.

I've tried several of the clays I purchased, and I found that they're actually no better than Voodoo Brew 2 in terms of volume. I purchased Voodoo Brew 2 for $8 for a 3.5oz tin on West Coast Shaving. I like the idea of paying less for a product with fewer chemicals. I'm tempted to pruchase the Apothcary87 though, but I have my doubts whether it will be any better than the volume i'm getting with the less expensive Voodoo Brew II. The only downside of Voodoo Brew II is the heavy buildup of wax in my hair. By the end of the week, my hair is loaded with wax. Shampoo doesn't break it down for me. Aussie 3 Minute Miracle also doesn't wash it out. I'm now using my secret weapon to wash it out by using mineral oil. It works like a charm. The wax comes out and my hair is left clean, albeit with a little shine from a slight residue of mineral oil.

I do like the Uppercut clay and Baxter of California. Never the less, they don't give my hair more volume than Voodoo brew 2. That stuff is SUPERB. UUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

My favorites are...

1. Goon Grease.
2. Dax Wave and Groom.
3. Big Slick Devil's Punch.
4. Grim Grease Limandarina.
5. Grim Grease Aventus.
6. Black and White.
7. Sweet Georgia Brown.
8. Pomps Not Dead Medium.
9. Lockhart's Gents Grease.
10. Grim Grease Purple Mane.

My list differs from David's by quite a bit, but there are still more for me to try out there. My interests are always growing and changing. Maybe in a year or two, I'll be using Brylcreem exclusively.

This is an interesting list. I like Sweet Georgia Brown as well.

1. High Life Voodoo Brew 2 - Best pomade I've ever used. This is a great pomade for volume with a decent amount of non-greasy shine. For $8 per tin, it's a steal.

2. High Life Medium - This is a lighter version of High Life Heavy. It gives me the same natural look to my hair that I get from Voodoo Brew II pomade. It's like I have no pomade in my hair, but my hair looks amazing. Medium shine. It goes for $8 per tin.

3. High Life Heavy - this is GREAT stuff. A real good hold that is better than Murray's. It has a medium shine. It goes for $8. It's another non-greasy pomade.

4. Dax Wave and Groom - One of the best pomades on earth. Great price, great hold and great performance. I could use Dax everyday of my life and be happy.

5. High Life Light - This stuff is a good light pomade. It continains enough wax to let you style your hair. The price is great at $8.

6. Voodoo Brew I - This one is a waxier version of Voodoo Brew 2. It doesn't contain any shine at all. If you're going to use it, then add a light topper of Murray's Exelento pomade. I discovered that this combination works the best for this pomade.

7. Murray's Vintage - great stuff. My hair looks outstanding when I use Murray's.

8. Rustin Heavy Hold -This is another wax pomade. It reminds me of the High Life series pomades. I don't like the price tag though. It goes for $15 for a 4oz tin.

9. Dax Short and Neat - a perfect light pomade that sells for $3 per tin.

10. Murray's Excelento - A classic pomade from 1912. It's the shiniest pomade I've ever used.

11. Murray's Hair Glo - a classic pomade from 1925. It has a great shine. I use it both as a topper and a stand alone. I bought a ton of it recently on Murray's website. I doubt that I'll ever run out.

Last edited:
Apothecary87 clay pomade looks like good stuff. I checked it out and it has fewer chemicals than the other clays. This pomade is like normal pomade. I'm thinking about purchasing some.

The ingredients:

Petrolatum, Kaolin, Cera, Lanolin, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum

I found Apothecary87 clay pomade for $15 for 3.4oz on Amazon. Compared to paying $20 for 2 oz of regular clay pomade, Apothcary87 is a great deal.

I've tried several of the clays I purchased, and I found that they're actually no better than Voodoo Brew 2 in terms of volume. I purchased Voodoo Brew 2 for $8 for a 3.5oz tin on West Coast Shaving. I like the idea of paying less for a product with fewer chemicals. I'm tempted to pruchase the Apothcary87

Their size are quoted in liquid oz. i was interrested in their mogul grease as well. It sounds like a classic formulation based on ingredients. I find overpriced for the formulation though ... their clay pomade is a nice price though still less than claymation.

Last edited:
Their size are quoted in liquid oz. i was interrested in their mogul grease as well. It sounds like a classic formulation based on ingredients. I find overpriced for the formulation though ... their clay pomade is a nice price though still less than claymation.

It sounds like it's not worth the price. I was checking out Gravity Paste by the same company that makes Claymation. It looks like the better product. But for $24, I'm not sure if it's worth it. It looks like a good product, but i don't know if it's worth the high price tag. These companies hike the price if their products to the point where you've got be willing to risk throwing money away by purchasing them. I want a product that doesn't lose it's hold after a few hours. Byrd Matte and Uppercut Matte Clay didn't work for me. Baxter of California works, but it's a heck of a lot like Dax Wave and Groom. $20 vs. $3. Hmmmm. I think I'll go for the $3. I'm just saying.

I'm going to stay with the High Life Series for now. I purchased a tin of Uppercut Monster Hold for $15. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. It should be similar to Reuzel Pink heavy hold.

I have been using Doc Elliot Pomades for the last year or so. I am about out of my last tin, and it appears the company has gone out of business. They are out of stock all over.

I am looking for a good medium to firm, beeswax-based pomade to replace it.

Looks like VooDoo Brew II is one I should be looking at. How does it compare to either Doc Elliot or Dr. Rubin's Firm?

Top Bottom