What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

$high.jpg

Perfect styling, Fasa! It's impressive how your able to style with this pomade. It's different from how you looked with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue, Dax Wave and Groom and Murray's Superior. It's WAY different. Are you good with the shine? You might want to experiment by using a tiny amount of Murray's Exelento for shine. I would use just a little amount to give your hair a more healthy look to it. The wax makes it look a tad bit too matte for my tastes. Exelento is really shiny pomade, and you don't need to use much of it to make hair super shiny. When used in moderation, I believe it might work. I would experiment. Still, I like the volume you're getting with High Life Heavy pomade. It's such a strong wax that very little is needed. The scent is great. It's not like Voodoo Brew II, even though it comes from the same product line. I rate High Life Heavy pomade as a 10 out of 10. It's a game changer.

View attachment 694312

Perfect styling, Fasa! It's impressive how your able to style with this pomade. It's different from how you looked with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue, Dax Wave and Groom and Murray's Superior. It's WAY different. Are you good with the shine? You might want to experiment by using a tiny amount of Murray's Exelento for shine. I would use just a little amount to give your hair a more healthy look to it. The wax makes it look a tad bit too matte for my tastes. Exelento is really shiny pomade, and you don't need to use much of it to make hair super shiny. When used in moderation, I believe it might work. I would experiment. Still, I like the volume you're getting with High Life Heavy pomade. It's such a strong wax that very little is needed. The scent is great. It's not like Voodoo Brew II, even though it comes from the same product line. I rate High Life Heavy pomade as a 10 out of 10. It's a game changer.

Hi [MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION]
Indeed this a very waxy pomade. It has an amazing hold. I did find it very easy to style my hair with this one. Looking at reviews on the web, people have not seemed to like it. I understand that dax bought the brand ?

I believe i have improved my ability to style my hair since i started thanks to your good advices and experimentation.

The shine is very light has you said, also i took that picture when my hair was fully dried whereas in the past my hair was still slightly damp.

Now i am tempted to try their medium hold considering how strong the heavy hold is. Have you given it a try ?

I ll stick with high life for the rest of the week and switch to murray's superior next week. I believe murray's hold is similar to high life and want to give murray a proper test.

Hey Fasa,

Dax purchased High Life a while ago. I heard they were going to be discontinued, so Dax bought them out. High Life medium appears to give a similar look as the heavy from the pictures and reviews I've read. I've used High Life heavy in the past, but not the medium. I ordered High Life medium and light last week. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

If you're not happy with the Heavy, you can try thinning it out with a light pomade. That would loosen it a little. You could use less of it and then add a trace amount of topper like Murray's Hair Glo, Dax Short and Near or whatever you have. However, if the topper weighs your hair down like in the photo of you with the Murray's + Short and Neat combination, then I wouldn't go that route. I would just focus on using a little of it when I would use it if I wasn't happy with it.

High Life medium is going to be matte like the heavy. There's not much shine in it. I plan on using it with a topper. It's too waxy looking for me to go to work with that look. I just want my hair to be perfectly styled, which the medium and heavy will give me, but with natural shine. I don't want my hair to look like helmet hair. Check this link on a review of High Life medium: https://thedappersociety.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/high-life-medium/

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION] i read the reviews from that guy about high life in the past. most review i saw ranged from mehhh to not good.

So far i am reasonably happy with it. I love the scent and i found it easy to put in the hair and style. Which doesn't match some of the reviews i read. ( people complained it was hard to apply and comb ) i only need a small quantity, about a finger, so i guess it s very waxy hence the low shine you notice.

Honestly, i am finding hard to distinguish the shine on it compared to others product i am using. This is probably because i don't watch my hair enough to notice the subtle changes nor the experience.

Somehow i expect murray superior to be quite similar.

What do you think of goon grease / murray small batch ?

I ll look forward to read your review on highlife medium and light !

Romain

I

Tried Murray's Superior. Worked ok in my hair. Really liked the scent, but it is sooooo heavy in my hair and doesn't comb well. For medium-heavy holds, King Brown is still leading the charge for me.

proxy.php

I went with a very classic side partition today. High life makes my hair look fuller. I just added a very tiny amount to help clean my side partition:

I suspect that this contains a lot more wax than wav and groom or sweet georgia brown. Looking at the ingredients list you can see that wax is the first ingredient.

I would have guessed so ! Looking at the medium high life. Wax is still the first ingredient. I suspect their medium has a strong hold as well !

View attachment 694753

Fasa/John,

I used High Life Heavy pomade today and yesterday. I got a lot of height for the front of my hair in a way that I never could using Dax Wave and Groom. I'd forgot how great this pomade is. It's SUPER for volume in the front of my hair. The only downside is it's not great for slicking down the sides of my hair like Murray's Xtra Heavy, Murray's Superior and Dax Wave and Groom and Sweet George Brown Blue and Red pomades. It beats them in the volume building department in the front. The shine is low medium, but acceptable. It looks natural on my hair. For users like like the matte look, High Life Heavy is perfect pomade. It's just one step above matte, but looks totally natural. I can't even tell I have pomade in my hair today despite the fact that I put in three large scoops. This is pretty neat stuff, but also very weird. I'm so used to the greasy shine that I get when using the oil type pomades. The emu oil and wax takes away the greasy look and makes my hair look natural. This morning, I had zero problems washing the wax out with regular shampoo and conditioner. I was hoping some would stay in, but pretty much 90% was washed out. It doesn't matter because I reapplied a bunch.

I'm looking forward to using High Life medium and High Life light pomade.

Voodoo Brew II
isn't that much different than High Life Heavy. I noticed that right off the bat today. Same formula. The only difference is a little more shine with Voodoo Brew II. The scent is tolerable when it's in my hair. Smelling it out of the tin is not pleasant. I see them both as basically the same. Great stuff. I can't remember when I was able to have a James Dean pomp like I've gotten for the past two days.

Murray's Xtra Heavy definitely has more hold than High Life Heavy. However, it doesn't let you create the volume like with High Life. That's the interesting part. They're both great pomades in their own different ways, but differently different. I suspect High Life medium will be similar to the heavy, but with slightly less hold. From the photos I've seen, it might be the same. This wax is very heavy. That's what I like about it. You don't need much for the front of your hair to get height.

$dean.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 694753

Fasa/John,

I used High Life Heavy pomade today and yesterday. I got a lot of height for the front of my hair in a way that I never could using Dax Wave and Groom. I'd forgot how great this pomade is. It's SUPER for volume in the front of my hair. The only downside is it's not great for slicking down the sides of my hair like Murray's Xtra Heavy, Murray's Superior and Dax Wave and Groom and Sweet George Brown Blue and Red pomades. It beats them in the volume building department in the front. The shine is low medium, but acceptable. It looks natural on my hair. For users like like the matte look, High Life Heavy is perfect pomade. It's just one step above matte, but looks totally natural. I can't even tell I have pomade in my hair today despite the fact that I put in three large scoops. This is pretty neat stuff, but also very weird. I'm so used to the greasy shine that I get when using the oil type pomades. The emu oil and wax takes away the greasy look and makes my hair look natural. This morning, I had zero problems washing the wax out with regular shampoo and conditioner. I was hoping some would stay in, but pretty much 90% was washed out. It doesn't matter because I reapplied a bunch.

I'm looking forward to using High Life medium and High Life light pomade.

Voodoo Brew II
isn't that much different than High Life Heavy. I noticed that right off the bat today. Same formula. The only difference is a little more shine with Voodoo Brew II. The scent is tolerable when it's in my hair. Smelling it out of the tin is not pleasant. I see them both as basically the same. Great stuff. I can't remember when I was able to have a James Dean pomp like I've gotten for the past two days.

Murray's Xtra Heavy definitely has more hold than High Life Heavy. However, it doesn't let you create the volume like with High Life. That's the interesting part. They're both great pomades in their own different ways, but differently different. I suspect High Life medium will be similar to the heavy, but with slightly less hold. From the photos I've seen, it might be the same. This wax is very heavy. That's what I like about it. You don't need much for the front of your hair to get height.

View attachment 694754

Thanks for detailed account! You are confirming my impression. There is a bit of shine that makes your hair look quite natural rather than matte.

I love that coconut smell!

I think i ll pass on voodoo brew for now ... how similar is high life heavy to lockhart heavy ? I suspect they are very similar.

Hi @David157
Indeed this a very waxy pomade. It has an amazing hold. I did find it very easy to style my hair with this one. Looking at reviews on the web, people have not seemed to like it. I understand that dax bought the brand ?

I believe i have improved my ability to style my hair since i started thanks to your good advices and experimentation.

The shine is very light has you said, also i took that picture when my hair was fully dried whereas in the past my hair was still slightly damp.

Now i am tempted to try their medium hold considering how strong the heavy hold is. Have you given it a try ?

I ll stick with high life for the rest of the week and switch to murray's superior next week. I believe murray's hold is similar to high life and want to give murray a proper test.

Goon Grease has a little bit of shine. Not a lot. The hold is good, but I didn't like it. I felt like I was paying more for the small amount of extra shine from the Goon Grease. It's pretty much the same as Lockhart's heavy hold but with a little more shine. It's easy to apply a topper and save money than waste it on paying extra for an overhyped pomade like Goon Grease. The shine isn't that great to be honest. I was disappointed with it and tossed it. I hated the scent.

Thanks for detailed account! You are confirming my impression. There is a bit of shine that makes your hair look quite natural rather than matte.

I love that coconut smell!

I think i ll pass on voodoo brew for now ... how similar is high life heavy to lockhart heavy ? I suspect they are very similar.

Roman,

there's not much difference between Lockhart's heavy hold and High Life heavy. They both have the coconut scent. Lockhart's heavy is pretty matte. I have it and rarely use it because it's too matte and makes my hair look dirty. A lot of the same ingredients as High Life Heavy except for it contains caster oil and not emu oil, It has great hold though. It would be a matter of choice in terms of what you're into. Kustom Kreeps Dead Weight is another similar product with the same hold but higher price tag. It's really thick stuff.

I like High Life heavy better than those pomades because it's less expensive, it doesn't contain caster oil, and it doesn't have the red dye that you get with Kustom Kreeps. Honestly, these are all redundant products. The same stuff bascially and that includes the Voodoo Brew II. Yeah, it has more shine, but it's so simple to add a topper.

The look that I get with Dax Wave and Groom is very similar to what I get with High Life Heavy. If it's a cost thing with you, I think you're better off staying with Dax and saving money. For me, it doesn't matter. I just like trying different stuff out and writing about it. . I've got a bunch of stuff I want to buy just to try them out for Halloween.

Last edited:
[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION] thanks for sharing you views. I am very happy with all the pomade i have tried so far. I had more success with heavy hold than medium. I have about 4 heavy hold.

For now i ll stick with what have to try to gain more perspective. There is no point in trying more pomade until i get a better understanding of the one i own.

I don't have has much experience as yourself in the matter.

The price of oil base pomade is really not an issue. I can easily buy 3 or 4 tin a month.

There's not enough of a difference between Lockhart's. and High Life heavy to justify buying them both in my opinion. I just bought them because I wanted to try them and see if they were different. They are a little different. It's subtle. I'd forgotten how good High Life is. I buy stuff, use them once, and then forget about them unless I REALLY like them. With a lot of the heavy wax pomades, I never liked them much. However, I think you talking about High Life heavy has me taking a closer look and realizing there's more than what I originally thought. This is really good stuff. I like the idea of using a little of it and having a different look to my hair than what I've been getting with the more oily pomades. Honestly, my hair looks like it has no product in it right now, and yet my hair looks perfectly styled. I think that's neat! High Life Heavy did it right. Dax obviously realized that the guy that created the High Life series knew what he was doing.

When you're talking about a small number of chemicals, there's only so much variation you can get from them. There's a lot of different home brewers coming up with their own products, but they're not improving anything from what has already been created. That's the same with the wax pomades. I hate that. I want the stuff to be constantly new, but I keep finding out there the more pomades I try the more I realize they're the same but with different names, scents, colors and price tags.

Last edited:
High life heavy did wash out fairly easily. I was surprised! 2 shampoo and all gone.

So this morning i decided to use something else. It s been about a month since i have used nu nile...

So i used 1 large finger of it and went to work. I like that it scoops out fairly easily while having a strong hold ! It does have more shine than high life but it s still on light side.

Definitly a winner in my book and so cheap.

A few pictures, note that my hair are slightly damp.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Hey Roman,

Murray's Nu Nile is definitely a great pomade for you! This is a great look. More impressive than High Life Heavy and one-third the price. Nu Nile is supposed to give the wet look, but I've never hard that look unless I put a whole bunch of it in. You got the right amount. This is another to add to your list of pomades that are spectacular for your hair. Nu Mile is like a lighter version of Murray's Superior. You should be able to get similar results with that great pomade.

Hey Roman,

Murray's Nu Nile is definitely a great pomade for you! This is a great look. More impressive than High Life Heavy and one-third the price. Nu Nile is supposed to give the wet look, but I've never hard that look unless I put a whole bunch of it in. You got the right amount. This is another to add to your list of pomades that are spectacular for your hair. Nu Mile is like a lighter version of Murray's Superior. You should be able to get similar results with that great pomade.

Hi David,

Thanks for the compliment. It s a fairly classic hairstyle. Nu niles is definitely more greasy than high life. It s a well balanced pomade in my book. It s fairly easy to work scoop out and comb while maintaining a strong hold. It s not as strong a SGB blue but still.

I agree with you, i think they got the marketing wrong on that one. Because it s marketed as a wet look pomade people think it s light... it s not !

The fragance is just mehhh not treat not bad. I prefer how SGB blue smells to be honest.

I think it s a great pomade for beginners like me.

I am planing a n giving a good test to murray's superior next week. How long does a tin last you on average ?

Romain

So i switched to use murray's superior. It s definitely among my strongest hold.

I heated the top layer with a blow dryer than applied 2 small fingers in my hair.

It gives my hair a strong hold and a very nice shine. Love it thus far !

This stuff is super inexpensive. I like it slightly better than nu niles as the scent is more to my taste. I ll see if this hold true through out the week.

Note hair slightly damp here

proxy.php

Second day with murray superior... this was a bad day ... very bad day.

I added a small finger of it in the morning and i felt my hair had lost it s cool style.

My god what a mistake ! My hair felt oily and heavy. It killed all the volume in my hair. For a lack if a better word, my hair felt wrong.

Tonight i have used a shampoo to degrease it a bit. We ll see how it goes tomorrow. I think the mineral oil in it causes the build up to be super greasy.

I should also add that imperial leather shower gel works GREAT on removing oil based pomade. 2 shampoo and all is gone.

Second day with murray superior... this was a bad day ... very bad day.

I added a small finger of it in the morning and i felt my hair had lost it s cool style.

My god what a mistake ! My hair felt oily and heavy. It killed all the volume in my hair. For a lack if a better word, my hair felt wrong.

Tonight i have used a shampoo to degrease it a bit. We ll see how it goes tomorrow. I think the mineral oil in it causes the build up to be super greasy.

I should also add that imperial leather shower gel works GREAT on removing oil based pomade. 2 shampoo and all is gone.

Hey Romain,

it sounds like you had some problems with Murray's Superior. I always shampoo it out and reapply each day otherwise my hair gets weighed down with it. Murray's is a heavy oil, so it's going to weigh your hair down big time. You've got to wash it daily to keep getting the great look it gives. Also, try applying from back to front when putting in the product. That way it helps decrease the chances of the front of your hair getting weighed down. Most of the product will wind up in the back and top of your hair, but that's fine. Murray's is so strong that it doesn't need much for the pomade to still give the front of your hair a great look. Additionally, you might want to try adding Murray's or Dax to your hair when it's dry. It's a different look. It gives more volume when Murray's and Dax are added to dry hair rather than wet hair.

I used a combination of Dax Wave and Groom and Dax Green and Gold in my DRY hair last week. What a look! I combined the two pomades in my hand rather than layering it. With my hair being dry, it was like using a clay but with a shine. Clays are good for creating volume. You might want to give a clay a try. I just got into them recently, and I'm pleased. Baxter of California Matt Clay, Uppercut Matt Clay, Dapper Dan Matt Clay, Lockhart's Matt Clay, and Mr Natty clay. The clays are kind of like using Dax Wave and Groom, but they give more volume.

Top Bottom