What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

I was away while this thread was heating up -- hope it's still okay to add some of my non-Gillette releases. I too have a fondness for quite a few "this is not a Gillette" razors, and will post a few others next week when I have some time to shoot some more photos. But Here's a couple and some pointers to previous beauties.

Like Mosholu (Stefan), I too have found the Kabrand DEs to be beautiful and effective shavers. I posted this one a while ago, and also this traveler set, with a similar knurling to the one posted by Mosholu.

In addition, there's this not-a-Gillette "Big Fellow" from Rowiro. Who copied whom? By the look of the blade, the Rowiro may have been first in the market.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I like the Bakelite razors that appeared, likely in the late 1930s -- especially the slants.
proxy.php

With no brand name mentioned on this set.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The inimical LaResche -- which is much less aggressive than it looks.
proxy.php

proxy.php

And how about this mint Nordstern? I have another that is still wrapped in it's tissue paper. Very attractive razor, and effective as a shaver.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hope this thread continues, as we showcase those creative razor designers that did follow in the footsteps of Gillette.

Awesome collection, it's a shame that laresche isn't as aggressive as it looks lol... some real gems there Jake thanks for bumping the thread in such a big way

Jake,
You have too many fine non-vintage gillettes and not enough wives and children. Interested in a trade to rectify that?

Keeping my dog, though.
oake

Jake,
You have too many fine non-vintage gillettes and not enough wives and children. Interested in a trade to rectify that?

Keeping my dog, though.
oake
I too could use a dog. Want breed do you have?

And I have 5 kids -- 3 sons -- all of them love traditional shaving so I've got to amass their estate. Who knows when there will be the estate sale...

Thanks for the kind words. And I do have a couple more awesome non-Gillettes on the way too.

Keeping this thread alive.

British made Knockout razor. Metal cap with bakelite bottom plate and handle.
$knockout.jpg

And here is an Eversharp Krona. Gotta love the eagle.
$eversharpK2.jpg

I too could use a dog. Want breed do you have?

And I have 5 kids -- 3 sons -- all of them love traditional shaving so I've got to amass their estate. Who knows when there will be the estate sale...

Thanks for the kind words. And I do have a couple more awesome non-Gillettes on the way too.
Wouldn't want to deprive your kids of their inheritance...well, maybe a little.

my dog is a lab and my hunting partner. Trained her myself and only death will part us.

Love that Knockout. And happy to see you Darwin when you get it uploaded here. A good showcase of these non-Gillettes. Very cool.

Connie (intrigued aka robin with the bagels) has a couple of dawins and i have seen more then a few people in the BOTOC darwin pass around thread with them, im surprised none of them have swung in either,... i may have to send a PM or two and correct the situation at hand, there will be a darwin in thie thread by the end of the evening or my name isnt Syngent

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Im surprised no one has posted a Darwin? I will have to post mine and the other non gillettes I have

mmmmmm. Darwin goodness. Bring it on.

Connie (intrigued aka robin with the bagels) has a couple of dawins and i have seen more then a few people in the BOTOC darwin pass around thread with them, im surprised none of them have swung in either,... i may have to send a PM or two and correct the situation at hand, there will be a darwin in thie thread by the end of the evening or my name isnt Syngent

I thought you were having a Mod. change your name to "Nicked Knee". :blink:

Darwin, you say? :biggrin:

The solid cobalt steel Darwin Deluxe.
$Darwin Deluxe on tray 2.jpg $Darwin Deluxe .jpg

$Darwin Grin.jpg

View attachment $Darwin, cobalt steel.jpg

Lol following the threads and looking thru the history, i still appear to be the only Man on the forum who doesnt shave his legs to successfully nick his knee while shaving,.... maybe it should be added into the wiki B&B date section for major events

Thanks for adding not only a Dawin,... but the De Lux model de jour, this thread would not have been complete without it !

I have a bunch of non-Gillette razors that I recently acquired.

$DSC03424.jpg

$DSC03427.jpg

$DSC03426.jpg

From left to right in the bottom picture (right to left in the top and middle pictures):

Matador De Luxe Precisionsrakhyvel (with original bakelite case) - There are a lot of different designs from Matador bearing the same name. It's quite heavy and the bottom plate can't be removed from the handle. Made in Sweden.

Palmolive (model?) - The handle and top cap are made of solid brass and looks very stylish when polished to a gold shine. Unfortunately the bottom plate is of lower quality and just worn brass plated over some dark metal that looks like it has aged since the bronze age. The bottom plate is stuck to the handle and can't be replaced with something nicer. Made in Sweden.

Swing (model?) - Open comb head and bakelite handle. The plating on the bottom plate is worn in a peculiar spotted pattern. Made in Sweden.

Matador National Quick - Bakelite handle and bottom plate, but top cap made of metal. It's heavier than it looks since the handle seems to have a metal core. Probably made in Sweden, since it's a Matador.

Unknown Tech-clone - I know absolutely nothing about this razor. It looks like a Tech, but has provisions for three-hole blades.

$DSC03425.jpg

Then I have these razors that might not be unique in any way, but still qualify as non-Gillette. The top one looks exactly like a white Gillette Slimtwist, but is made by Rotbart as is written on the case. The bottom one is a Schick plastic TTO.
I have a Schick Krona too, but I didn't bother including it in the pictures.

Last edited:
$P1000418.JPGNothing too exciting, just a little contribution of my non-gillette "english" shelf, that's a Myatt in the middle, and of course a full set "sticky" with blades and instructions.

Top Bottom