What's new

The MMA Thread

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
News report today that GSP and UFC have agreed to a contract for his return.

I was hoping he would stay "retired". But with ronda likely gone, and conor trying to set up his retirement payday by boxing floyd mayweather. The ufc probably gave gsp what he was asking for (moneywise). They're gonna need a big draw if those other two dont come back.

Man. Cormier fought like such a punk in that fight. Yeah i get he had to be cautious, but damn man. Don't just lay on Anderson.

Khabib vs Ferguson has been cancelled.

Khabib was hospitalized 3hrs before weigh ins...

Time to ban weight cutting?

Yeah, I've been pouting about Khabib vs. Ferg getting cancelled since I heard about it. I dislike weight cutting because I hate seeing a massive(for a given weight class) fighter win on size, but also because it robs us of fights like this.

Time to move from weight classes to height classes?

That's not feasible because frame sizes vary so much. Some guys are 6'1" and naturally super lanky, others of the same height, couldn't make 205 to save their life.

However, I do believe that reasonable standards can be imposed. Evaluate fighters in camp and see how much they actually weigh, make averages and define a safe weight for them to get down to. Conduct random weigh ins, similar to the drug tests, but only with a scale. Additionally I think more weight classes are needed. And people will say about too many belts, nearly every class now has a belt and interim belt so we might as well have more weight classes especially how WME wants all these title fights, need more titles for more title fights.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
However, I do believe that reasonable standards can be imposed. Evaluate fighters in camp and see how much they actually weigh, make averages and define a safe weight for them to get down to.

That would be the other option ... regular weigh-ins and have guys fight at their "training weight". But it means a lot more infrastructure and cost to have this all set up.

That would be the other option ... regular weigh-ins and have guys fight at their "training weight". But it means a lot more infrastructure and cost to have this all set up.

Ethical doctors could also solve the problem too. Evaluate a fighter in camp and make a determination of how much weight is safe to cut. Maybe even a formula or amount could be agreed upon. For example 95% of training weight or 10 pounds less than a training weight.

However, they'd likely all have their own doctors who would play ball so to speak and say someone could cut 40 pounds from their training weight. :001_huh:

Interesting perspectives. I definitely think there will be a move toward more weight classes to accommodate more egos...er...fighters. But I have to think losing a headline fight like this would be a spark for change.

I think they made add more weight classes to get more belts for marketing purposes, but in terms of rules around weight cutting, sadly I think someone is going to have to die or come close for those to change.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think they made add more weight classes to get more belts for marketing purposes, but in terms of rules around weight cutting, sadly I think someone is going to have to die or come close for those to change.

I think you are correct in assessing the disinterest that UFC has in looking out for fighters' health.

But since we're solving the world's problems, let me suggest this. A fighter picks the weight at which he wants to fight, and enters that weight class. At the fight ... in between entering the ring and the start of the fight ... both fighters weigh in. For every x number of pounds the fighter is over the weight class, he loses a point. Three strikes ... er, points ... and you're out ... disqualified and the other guy wins. Have a back-up fighter waiting "just in case" if you want, but, there you go.

Or how about this ... if a fighter is more than, say, 5 pounds over, if he KO's his opponent (or TKO stoppage) then the opponent wins. Make it a real dis-incentive for guys to come in overweight. (Obviously, the fighters have to have a realistic connection with their chosen fighting weight ... we can't have heavyweights pretending to be welterweights and dominate ... but if a guy has a bit of pudge, then penalise him and let him fight.)

I think you are correct in assessing the disinterest that UFC has in looking out for fighters' health.

But since we're solving the world's problems, let me suggest this. A fighter picks the weight at which he wants to fight, and enters that weight class. At the fight ... in between entering the ring and the start of the fight ... both fighters weigh in. For every x number of pounds the fighter is over the weight class, he loses a point. Three strikes ... er, points ... and you're out ... disqualified and the other guy wins. Have a back-up fighter waiting "just in case" if you want, but, there you go.

Or how about this ... if a fighter is more than, say, 5 pounds over, if he KO's his opponent (or TKO stoppage) then the opponent wins. Make it a real dis-incentive for guys to come in overweight. (Obviously, the fighters have to have a realistic connection with their chosen fighting weight ... we can't have heavyweights pretending to be welterweights and dominate ... but if a guy has a bit of pudge, then penalise him and let him fight.)

Now, a fighter is penalized 20-30% based on commission and in most of those commissions the penalty fine goes to the other fighter. Also when a fighter misses weight the one who does make it has the option of cancelling the bout, however it's an unspoken rule that it's a "wuss" move to cancel the bout. However, it can have bad consequences. Will Brooks came in with big hype from Bellator and fights Alex Olivera who missed weight by like 6 pounds, a big amount. Oliveira wins, Brooks hype gone and a lot of money with it and he may not have lost had his opponent been playing by the same rules.

I think most guys have good intentions and fully believe they will make the weight. But usually at least once a card someone misses, mostly it's by a pound or so, but sometimes they are way off. Remember Anthony Johnson coming in at 197 for a 185 fight? He gets cut and moves up to 205, now he's fighting for that title. I'm glad that shift has begun and some guys are losing at their "normal" weight class and instead of going down, which was the norm for 10+ years, they are now going up in weight. Cowboy, RDA, Masvidal, all moving up in weight. Some of that is also due to the IV rehydration ban. But others may be learning that lighter isn't always better. Someone like Cerrone walks at close to 200, fighting at 155 was crazy and he was a pro, I don't know of any time he missed weight there but he has to be much healthier at 170. Another note about Anthony Johnson when he was still fighting (and often missing weight at 170) he would routinely get up to 230 between bouts. Dropping 60 pounds that's insane.

There has been talk about increasing the fine up to 50% or so for missing weight but that has to come from commissions they aren't likely to change, especially not quickly.

I know for High Schools here (and maybe other states, countries) but high school wrestlers have to see a doctor before the season starts and the doctor tells them how much weight they can lose. At my school, they set up a big group phsical that nearly all students would go to and be told they could basically lose as much weight as they wanted. I had a conflict that night one of my years wrestling and had to go to my GP, I was a pretty lean kid and was told it was only safe for me to lose 2 pounds. I had teammates that were about my same size and body fat that were cutting 20-30 pounds and this was just teenagers in a mediocre wrestling state.
I think the NCAA has since cracked down since I was college age and is now trying to keep athletes healthier.

I've always been torn with the UFC, boxing, etc. These are adult men and women, professionals at the highest level and I feel they should be allowed to choose at which weight they fight, but if the UFC wants to get serious they will have to start cutting fighters who miss weight. And it's unlikely that would ever apply to stars.

I wonder if there would be a way where if you miss weight and win the bout, it would still be classified as a no-contest the only you could win would be to actually make the weight.

It messes with titles, but I'd like to see a lot more catchweights. Especially for stars who are unlikely to get titles again, think Belfort, Anderson Silva, etc let these guys agree on a proper weight and fight at that even if it's not in an official class. Especially since titles don't neccessarily mean big money and not having one doesn't make you any less of a star, ie Nick and Nate Diaz.

I watched a couple of the fights from last night. Kelvin did a good job. I thought the ref called it a bit early. I know Vitor was unsteady when he got up, but during the fight he was effectively defending himself on the ground and was actively scrambling and putting his feet on Kelvin's hips.

Barboza vs. Dariush was pretty good, and that flying knee KO was sweet. Other Cowboy vs. Dirty Bird was okay.

yeah that was a good fight at first I thought big john called it to earlier myself until I saw vitor taking his time getting up and then sat on the bench he looked pretty rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom