What's new

The MMA Thread

Glad the fight is happening, but I am so tired of all these interim titles and I think with WME there will be one in almost every class to add extra gravitas for the casual fan. Regardless though, this is a clear #1 contender match with the best guys in the division. Really glad they got the deal done. That one is shaping up to be a decent card.

I agree completely. For all the fights they put on strictly for entertainment, boasting the importance of the fight, this one is not only a dream come true for casual fans, it actually is a fight that would see the winner as probably the best 155'er in the UFC(no disrespect to the champ).

Interim belts...that's tough. I lean towards not having any. I feel like if the champion is going to be out so long that they need to make an interim belt then they should just have the current champ vacate, then give them the option of fighting for it again when they come back. The only time I'd really go against that is if the champ was on one of those crazy, record shattering runs like Anderson or GSP. If the wait is not too long, that is. If it's a Cruz "I'll see you in two years" deal then yeah, even those guys should have to vacate.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree completely. For all the fights they put on strictly for entertainment, boasting the importance of the fight, this one is not only a dream come true for casual fans, it actually is a fight that would see the winner as probably the best 155'er in the UFC(no disrespect to the champ).

Interim belts...that's tough. I lean towards not having any. I feel like if the champion is going to be out so long that they need to make an interim belt then they should just have the current champ vacate, then give them the option of fighting for it again when they come back. The only time I'd really go against that is if the champ was on one of those crazy, record shattering runs like Anderson or GSP. If the wait is not too long, that is. If it's a Cruz "I'll see you in two years" deal then yeah, even those guys should have to vacate.

Put belt defense on a set schedule. Any given belt is defended or fought over every four months (or however long is reasonable.) Once every six months? I dunno, but whatever it is, you set it in stone. "Welterweight title is defended the third Saturday in January, May, and September." Something like that. A champ who can't fight that fight is stripped of the title, and the two top contenders fight for the (actual, not "interim") title.

I think that an athlete should be able to defend his title (after a reasonable amount of recovery time.) By which I mean, in order to be considered "champion", one needs to have the ability to step into the ring and fight of the top challenger, and not hide behind "oh, I'm hurt" or "I have other commitments ... I'm making a movie in Hollywood" or whatever.

Yet another reason to love Joe Lauzon. He wins the split decision. I'm a fan of his , was rooting for him but I thought he lost. And he specifically said in interview that Marcin Held won. I love to see that integrity and honesty in the sport. What a class act and hats off to Marcin Held for a great performance.

Double heartbroken tonight. My favorite team lost to the damn packers, after a hell of a season and an emotional rollercoaster of a game.

Then. BJ. Penn loses. Nothing against Yair, i just thought his career could take a loss more so than Penn.

Yair is such an exciting fighter, and i like watching him fight. But just incredibly sad to see legends go out, retire. And then comeback only to get beat bad.

Double heartbroken tonight. My favorite team lost to the damn packers, after a hell of a season and an emotional rollercoaster of a game.

Then. BJ. Penn loses. Nothing against Yair, i just thought his career could take a loss more so than Penn.

Yair is such an exciting fighter, and i like watching him fight. But just incredibly sad to see legends go out, retire. And then comeback only to get beat bad.

+1 brother...+1

Especially in one-on-one sports, it is incredibly sad and painful to watch legend "comebacks" that go south. There's nowhere to hide...ALL eyes are on them. I had to "go get a drink" after watching BJ take what seemed to be the 100th significant kick.

and my Cowboys lost....

That was pretty tough to watch. I love Penn, but I don't think that he can compete with the very best anymore.

Joe is always a class act. Held won, and getting the nod killed Joe. Held's ground game is serious.

Also forgot to mention: a no gi, gloved Ezekiel choke while being mounted, in an MMA match? Impossible. Never happen.

Couldn't believe that!! Amazing to watch.

Tim Kennedy retires. And he wrote a very nice retirement note. Can't find it since im on mobile. Cutting and pasting on a cell phone is a pain.

Tito and chael this weekend i believe. On bellator

The Ezekiel choke was amazing!

Here is what Tim said.

Sitting in the ER at Saint Michael’s hospital in Toronto, Canada after my fight, I looked up at my buddy Nick Palmisciano who had ridden in the ambulance with me. He is a friend I didn't deserve and guy that stood with me from the beginning. Fighting is a lonely thing. You train with your team. You bleed with them. You trust your coaches but ultimately you are in the cage alone. This wasn’t our first time in this situation and thankful I had someone by my side. We had been here a few times in our past decade together. Sometimes for wins and sometimes for losses. The end result always looked the same: Nick carrying five bags that should have been split among three corners and me and my face are bleeding and swollen. “That’s it man,” I said. “We’re all done.”
We had talked about it a lot over the past few years. I’d spoken to Nick, to my wife Ginger, and to Greg Jackson and Brandon Gibson ad nauseam about the coming end. No matter how hard I trained, I knew this ride wouldn’t last forever. But saying it out loud definitely brought me both sadness that this chapter was complete and overwhelming relief that it’s a decision I could make without worrying about taking care of my family.

I had just lost to Kelvin Gastelum, a really respectful and hard-working young fighter who went out and did all the things I consider myself good at, but did them better. He actually reminded me of me when I was younger, except I was kind of a jerk back then. As losses go, I was kind of happy I lost to a guy like him.
A lot of my coaches, friends and fans immediately tried to build me up again. “Kelvin has the right skillset to beat you and it was your first fight back.” “You had ring rust.” “You’re still a top 10 middleweight.” I appreciated their comments and I don’t think they are wrong. I know I am still a good fighter. I know I was away a while. But they didn’t feel what I felt, and that’s being 37. I felt like I was in slow motion the entire match. I felt tired for the first time ever in a fight. I’m the guy that once graduated Ranger School – a place that starves you and denies you sleep for over two months – and took a fight six days later in the IFL and won. I’m the guy that is always in shape. And I was for this fight. I worked harder than I ever have before for this fight. But I wasn’t me anymore. My brain knew what to do but my body did not respond. I’ve watched other fighters arrive here. I’ve watched other fighters pretend they weren’t here. I will not be one of them.

I want to thank the military community for their support. I’ll never be able to explain how much you motivated me and how much I always tried to make you proud. I’ve been a professional fighter for two decades, but there was no greater moment for me than winning the main event of Fight for the Troops 3. You made me invincible that night. I will keep fighting for you all until the day I die.
I want to thank all of my coaches, from the old days working with John Hackleman and Chuck Liddell, to all my military buddies who trained with me while I was on active duty, to Greg Jackson, Mike Winkeljohn, and Brandon Gibson now. That you all thought me worthy of the investment of your time means more than you will ever know.

I want to thank all of my opponents. Iron sharpens iron and every great victory or crushing defeat occurred because there was someone who trained hard and had the courage to meet me across the cage. I want to call a few guys out in particular. To Luke Rockhold and Jacare: you guys gave me two grinding fights that asked for everything I had. You both made me better and I hope I did the same for you. I hope the two of you keep that Strikeforce chip on your shoulders and get back on top. To Robbie Lawler: you hit me harder than anyone ever has. Seriously, that really hurt. To Roger Gracie: My training for your fight reminded me that I love the gi. Thank you for that. To Rafael Natal: It took tremendous guts to take the Fight for the Troops fight. I will always appreciate you for that and cheer for you every time you fight. To Michael Bisping: I’ve never wanted to beat anyone more than I wanted to beat you, and that motivated me to provide the best version of myself. Best of luck to you going forward, Champ.
Finally to my wife: I don’t deserve you and you don’t deserve what I’ve put you through. I could lie to you and tell you it’s all over, but we both know I have already moved onto another super dangerous thing to fill my time, so I’m going to leave it just at “thank you and sorry” for now.
So with that, to all of you fighters out there, I am not going anywhere. I love fighting and will always have the heart of a figher. I am committed to growing our sport and taking care of those who are a part of it. As sad as it is for me to walk away, the only thing sadder would be for me to stay because I had no other choice in order to feed my family. Someday the Kelvin Gastelum’s and the Yair Rodriguez's and the Paige VanZant’s will be sitting in their respective emergency rooms with their respective Nick’s talking about it being over. And when that day comes, I want to make sure their future is secure.

I love you all. Thanks for listening. And thank you most of all for giving me the opportunity to do what I love for all these years.

So Big Rig is moving up to 185, and will be fighting Hector Lombard. Hector is a weird fight for anybody. He will probably win, and if you win it still does nothing for you career-wise. Lot of risk for almost no reward.

Kinda feel that Hendricks is a bit undersized for middleweight. But if he can make the weight and perform, then cool.

(Agree with you on lombard) Never liked Lombard, hope johny scores one of his awesome KO's

I'll miss Tim, I'm also glad he is leaving before it becomes painfully obvious that it's past time to retire.

What happened to Big Rig? Too many wars? Did he loose his desire to fight? Age? I've read some speculation that USADA had something to do with it along with before and after pictures but I don't know if I believe that.

I'll miss Tim as well. Superb fighter, and while he sometimes annoyed me, a galvanizing guy who actually moves on what he believes.

With Big Rig I think it's one of two things. He's lost the desire, or he was on something. Either is totally plausible to me. He's never been Joe Sixpack, totally shredded to the gills and screaming "Anabolic!", but neither did Tim Sylvia. At the same time, he has competed since USADA took over and not tested positive for PED's that I can recall. It look to me like motivation. He is not fighting the same. There is also the outside possibility that his body just can't perform at the level it needs to in a meat grinder division like 170 due to a natural decrease in testosterone. He's been a wrestler forever, and red lined his body since he was a kid, and that happens.

Bellator card was solid yesterday.

Paul Daley with a fantastic flying knee KO, no follow up punches needed. He was asleep.

And Tito making chael tap in the first. Nice, it wasn't sunk in all the way, but chael was turning purple and his head looked like he was about to explode.

Tito retired last night, his oldest son laid his gloves in the middle of the cage. One of the best, and one of the few that defended the title more than 4 times.

A really nice way to cap off a career. Chael never won a title, but he was always dangerous and a win over him is still, to me, a pretty big feather in your cap. I always hated Tito's persona. I always found him both hard to listen to(mostly due to him not being able to get a meaningful sentence out), but when I saw the way he really is, and how he acted as a coach on TUF(in my opinion one of, if not the best and most admirable of the whole lot) it really softened me up to him.

Those on the jaw RNC's can be brutal. The best example I can think of was Ricardo Arona vs. Sergey Ignatov. Ricardo was so damn strong.

Top Bottom