What's new

The Leresche Open Comb razor

A fantastic French set from pre-WWII. They mainly made open comb razors, but there were a few exceptions. I posted some photos of many from my Leresche collection recently, and here's a almost mint one I recently acquired. I think this one -- maybe most of them -- was plated in silver. The tarnish polishes off quite well, and the fit and finish of these razors is excellent. No zamak on the majority of these beauties.
proxy.php

proxy.php

No plating loss, no corrosion.
proxy.php

The case is pristine and the shape on the bottom mirrors the razor. Maybe to lay it on while shaving.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Great looking embossing on the bottom of the head assembly.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent finish on the handle and head!

Looks like the same head as my #44, except the plate is not attached to the handle and the stamping is different:

$CAM01135.jpg

$CAM01143.jpg

Also mine doesn't have a case, and your pics are much better!

Thanks for sharing, Jake.

Great share again, thanks ! I have six of these at home, but this one is a beauty.

With the bakelite box, this set is called #35 (visible on your product listing of april's thread !). Razor is made of brass, then nickel AND silver plated, long screw. The box was supposed to have two blade-holders, made of nickel-plated metal, like this one :

Thanks for sharing ;-)

I've just acquired a similar short-screw razor with the silver plated handle and nickel head:
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone know what set this is and when it was likely to have been made?

I'm also intrigued to shave with this razor - it's certainly a beautiful and well made thing but how well will it perform?
I hear Leresches have a reputation for being efficient but well behaved :)

Last edited:
Shaved with the Leresche and a Bic Chrome tonight
proxy.php

Very mild and not my style at all, but a very smooth comfortable shave and this razor is real quality - it is well balanced and just feels so good in the hand. An elegant and graceful thing.

I just scored one this morning at a local flea market. Beautiful razor in a lovely little Bakelite case. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon!

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am jealous and scared for you all at the same time.

Those look like they could take the cleft off of a chin.
It really doesn't look any worse than a Gillette Old Type. I'll probably pop an Astra SP in it tomorrow morning and take it for a spin. I'll post blood donation appeals, if necessary. :scared:

It really doesn't look any worse than a Gillette Old Type. I'll probably pop an Astra SP in it tomorrow morning and take it for a spin. I'll post blood donation appeals, if necessary. :scared:
Yes - mine gave a shave similar to a thick cap Old Type but, for my money, a bit classier.
There's almost no blade gap so you'd have to work hard to cut yourself, but it was surprisingly efficient for a razor which felt so mild.
And it's so good looking.

Just finished my morning shave with the new Leresche. I loaded it with a new Astra SP, lathered up with Arko, and dug in. Two passes and a touch-up later, I'm baby-butt smooth. Very nice shave...no nicks, scrapes or roughness. I found the razor to be somewhat less aggressive than an Old Type, but definitely efficient at removing whiskers. I'm very happy and this baby will be staying in my regular rotation.
:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom