What's new

the KRYSTAL EDGE challenge....

I will use tape when there is a reason to do so. Making a tool look like it has never been used, at the expense of functionality of the tool, is not a reason. A bevel that is too acute, IS a reason. In the case of a sub-14 degree bevel, a compound bevel ought to be just the thing to make it shave, if anything will.

dear imposter slash......

the funny thing is that *** does shave..... i had a nice shave off of it when it was here...

don't get me wrong it is a big ole hunk of poopy.... but it sliced the whiskers off me melon right nicely....

[LAZY]Since it's easier to ask here than do a search... What is the optimal bevel angle for a straight razor edge?[/LAZY]

Here's my 13.95 degree edge as of now.

We'll see how it holds up to a shave (I'm not too hopeful...).

Attachments

• $0.5crox krystal.jpg
    $0.5crox krystal.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 239
Wow!

Maybe a 13.95 degree bevel is where things are at!

I had gone into the shave ready to bail after the first pass. I had a backup razor ready to go....

I felt some remorse at "wasting" a good shave on 4 days growth on such an abominable razor....But wait...what the %$@#? I had an unbelievably nice shave!

After measuring the bevel angle, and seeing the pics of Jeff's edge, I figured the edge would be extremely fragile (it also was difficult to obtain a nice edge on there in the first place do to microchipping, deformation, etc...), so my strategy was to lay that baby real flat against my face while shaving.

BINGO-great shave! I mean really nice.

I am beginning to think that Pakistani razors are not total pieces of junk at all. They are just extremely difficult to get a good edge on them. I think many who may have tried them just have given up too easily, because "of course they are pieces of junk!", so why bother trying?

After my usual synthetic progression to 1um (NO TAPE!), the edge looked pretty dodgy. If I had shaved at that point, I'm sure I would have been disapointed. So I tried out my various secret formula pastes: Dovo Red, 1um diamond, 0.5um diamond/chromox blend, and simple chromox to see what looked best. I decided on the simple chromox.

No complaints whatsoever.

Edge, before and after.

Face, before and after.

Attachments

• $0.5crox krystal before after.jpg
    $0.5crox krystal before after.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 243
  • $before shave.jpg
    $before shave.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 321
If there are still openings on the list I am game. I will put my face up to this.

Anyways I want to experience someone else's edge.

Phil

How are you calculating the bevel angle? Are you just measuring the blade and spine width and using SOHCAHTOA? so θ = arctan (1/2 Spine/Blade width)

I measure the spine width with calipers, then the distance from honing bevel to edge, then draw it up in CAD software and let it do the math for me.

Again, with the lazy filter:

[LAZY]What scope would you recommend then? Can a USB scope that gives results similar to yours (so I have something to compare against) be had cheaply on the internets? Something from Amazon maybe... [/LAZY]

Again, with the lazy filter:

[LAZY]What scope would you recommend then? Can a USB scope that gives results similar to yours (so I have something to compare against) be had cheaply on the internets? Something from Amazon maybe... [/LAZY]

This.

I hot-rodded mine with a much more powerful light, diffuser, blacked out the interior, and added a camera. The camera is not needed unless you want to share your pics, etc. They have plenty of cameras for sale there as well, if you are interested in going that route. But if simply looking at the edge is what you're after, using it purely optically gives excellent resolution, no problemo.

Had another shave with the Krystal Edge today. I think part of the "WOW" factor for that first shave was the 4 days growth. Today's shave was certainly nice, but not eye-popping like that last one. Still attained an easy BBS, very close and smooth, no complaints.

Who's next?

PM me your address and I'll get it out to ya.

Had another shave with the Krystal Edge today. I think part of the "WOW" factor for that first shave was the 4 days growth. Today's shave was certainly nice, but not eye-popping like that last one. Still attained an easy BBS, very close and smooth, no complaints.

Who's next?

PM me your address and I'll get it out to ya

Anyone?

Anyone?

Beuller?

Geesh...you can't even give this thing away....

Top Bottom