What's new

The Key

Thanks. Hopefully I will get there tonight. After talking one on one for a while with another member everything seems a little more clear to me.

Do you think that a razor can ever be too sharp for an optimal shave?

I think I remember reading a discussion about this.

Thanks in advance for answering even the obtuse. Happy shaves!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I hadnt 't heard of a break-in period...
Sharpen a couple knives first?

Yeah. That works. A couple of hard stainless kitchen knives works good. All you want is to knock down the diamond particles that stand proud of the surface so you get a smoother finish.

I read in an earlier post on this thread that someone wanted to know when they are done setting the bevel. Well if you don't have a loop or microscope and you want a visual feedback, there is a knife sharpening trick that you can use. I knock the edge completely off by running it on the stone a couple times. Then when the edge is looked at under a light, desk lamp, etc. you will see light reflected off the edge. When both planes meet and the edge is sharp, no more light will be reflected visible to the naked eye. I check this periodically while honing to see what parts of the edge still need work. Its a good trick but only really works for the bevel set stage for str8s.

Last edited:
I don't leave the 1k till I can shave arm hair easily. I should probably switch to just tree topping so I can cure the honing mange though.

Last edited:
I was having a problem setting a bevel on a GD wanna be and was looking in the hones/honing forum and found way too much information. Then Seraphim gave me the link to this and it inspired me to just take out my 500 stone and go at it real aggressively with a heavy touch. In an hour, I accomplished more than I did in two previous afternoons and the razor is now very close to shave ready. Now that the bezel is set, I can follow the other suggestions using my 6K stone and doing the light pressure and X motion and all that other stuff to finish it. I think this thread should be required reading for anyone wanting to hone their own.

Yup.

DO NOT BABY THAT RAZOR!

Set the bevel like you mean it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom