What's new

The Formula 1 2012 thread

Hamilton's talent is only exceeded by his girliness.

We expect a full "live on the scene" report next week.

WITH some pictures!

Not much time for Ferrari to get that truck fixed. Alonzo must have used all his Jedi powers to place that high.

I don't understand all the articles being posted by F1 "Insiders" saying to not count out the RB8 this season. It's been one race! I am by no means a Red Bull fan but once they get the car dialed in they will definitely be a handful for the McLarens. If McLaren can keep up in terms of car development they should have the upper hand this season but this should be a competitive one. I feel like there is plenty of pace in the Lotus as well as Williams (even with their terrible drivers) to make things interesting.

RB will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. 2nd and 4th in the first race given their qualification performances worries me!

I think the difference we're seeing is from McLaren basically being able to concentrate on the rear of the car to deal with the lack of blown diffusers (since they ran a low nose last year), while RBR have had to develop around both a lower nose and loss of blown diffuser. It also seems like their drivers are having a little diffculty adapting to turning in without the help of a blown diffuser - a testament, perhaps, to the efficacy of RBR's particular blown diffuser setup last year. I expect they'll greatly reduce the gap within a few races, but McLaren will still have the edge on development of new parts.

I think the difference we're seeing is from McLaren basically being able to concentrate on the rear of the car to deal with the lack of blown diffusers (since they ran a low nose last year), while RBR have had to develop around both a lower nose and loss of blown diffuser. It also seems like their drivers are having a little diffculty adapting to turning in without the help of a blown diffuser - a testament, perhaps, to the efficacy of RBR's particular blown diffuser setup last year. I expect they'll greatly reduce the gap within a few races, but McLaren will still have the edge on development of new parts.

I think you are probably right here.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The DVR is set for race number two. Now all I have to do is avoid B&B until I finish watching it. Easier said than done!

Top eight within 0,5 seconds. I can't remember a season with such a tight front.

Hope it rains but not to a degree the session will be stopped.

The DVR is set for race number two. Now all I have to do is avoid B&B until I finish watching it. Easier said than done!

I had this problem with race 1. I wanted very much to see what everyone was saying, but I didn't want to spoil the race.

Ferrari is in deep trouble with their cars. Not sure where they have made error in design, again, but it will be fun to watch Fernando extract all he can out of it. Imagine him in the RB8, Lotus, or McLaren. If Hamilton does not win in Malaysia I expect we will see a real hissy fit from him. Nico needs to step it up or he will eventually end up with a lesser ride, I think. Nice to see Schuey in interview room after Q3.

I am in California. How many of you will stay up, or get up, to watch the race live? I do! My wife thinks I am nutz. And, I am! Only other vice is a modest RAD, though.

I'm torn. The last race was on St Pat's Day night, so I missed seeing it live. Instead I went down to the pub and watched Speed's 11am replay of the race. My first time watching F1 at the pub, and I liked it - just a handful of hardcore fans and a full English breakfast. I might do that again tomorrow, but it's always tempting to watch live for the races that are sort of accessible...I don't mind staying up late, but I just can't handle a 5am race on a Sunday morning!

I came across a handy table of viewing times for watching this season all around the world: http://i.imgur.com/n84Wx.png

That was quite an interesting race. Excellent drives from Alonso and Perez. They certainly made the most of the situation. To me, Perez' "moment" looked genuine enough not to be related to politics (Ferrari engine and transfer rumours).

Senna and Vergne both exceeded my expectations.

Button's race was very uncharacteristic for him. Lewis' race seemed very conservative but was the best of the title contenders and got some valuable points.

Last edited:
Button's race was very uncharacteristic for him. Lewis' race seemed very conservative but was the best of the title contenders and got some valuable points.

+1. I would have loved to see what Button could do if he didn't run into the back of Karthikeyan. He seems to excel in wet weather races normally. McLaren really seemed to throw away the race with pit strategy and some unspectacular driving.

Alonso really surprised me today. That just shows what a talented and determined driver can do with a bad car.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ferrari is in deep trouble with their cars.

Come again? :001_tt2:

If Hamilton does not win in Malaysia I expect we will see a real hissy fit from him.

Am I the only one who finds it funny that between Hamilton and his uber-annoying girlfriend, he throws the bigger hissy fits?

Other opinions:

Good day for Perez.
Bad day for Massa. (See above.)
Hard to feel sorry for Red Bull.
Williams cars running decently.
Kimi can still drive.
Grosjean has to finish a lap or two.

Hard to judge just where everyone stands after this mess of a race.

Fantastic display of Alonso's sheer driving ability in a car that can charitably be called a basketcase. Really shows how rain evens the playing field and puts the focus on car control. A shame that Perez fumbled T13, because I have no doubt he would've been past Alonso within a lap or two. He still looked pretty happy on the podium!

McLaren looked to be stumbling over themselves to drop the ball as frequently as possible. Silly driver errors, bad pit strategy, bad pit stop execution...did they have any stops under 4 seconds? It definitely didn't look like the same pit crew that pulled off that ballsy double-up stop in Melbourne.

I don't know if Williams gambled a bit on setup or if Senna's just that good in the wet, but it was great to see him storm through the field.

Not quite schadenfreude, but it was...interesting...to see Vettel's reaction to his incident with Karthikeyan. I seem to remember Vettel's current teammate sharing some choice words about a certain rookie driver a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvL20cuGY2I

Hard to judge just where everyone stands after this mess of a race.

This is what I was thinking. Yes Alonso did drive very well, but with all the other things going on, I'm not so sure that this race would be a good indicator of things to come.
Is the Ferrari chassis better in the rain than some others? Perhaps, but when it dried out Alonso's lap times weren't the best.

McLaren's pit stops were just embarrassing. What happened out there?

I'm still pulling for Kimi.
There's lots of driving left. Let's see what happens next.

Top Bottom