What's new

The Formula 1 2012 thread

Kimi couldn't get into round 2 of the qualifying, he got caught out with hard tires on. Shame, especially since Grosjean qualified 3rd in the Lotus-Renault showing that the car is competitive.

Otherwise, looks like McLaren is the car to beat in the beginning of the season. They posted times of .3 seconds faster then anyone else in Q3. Then it looks like Mercedes, RBR and Lotus-Renault are stronger then the others. It is only the first qualifier of the season, but that is what I'm seeing so far.

On a positive note, seems like MS is getting his mojo back and it will be exciting to follow him throughout the season, as it will be to follow Kimi as well.

Qualified:
14Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes1:26.8001:25.6261:24.922
23Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes1:26.8321:25.6631:25.074
310Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault1:26.4981:25.8451:25.302
47Michael Schumacher Mercedes1:26.5861:25.5711:25.336
52Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault1:27.1171:26.2971:25.651
61Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault1:26.7731:25.9821:25.668
78Nico Rosberg Mercedes1:26.7631:25.4691:25.686
818Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault1:26.8031:26.2061:25.908
912Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes1:27.4641:26.3141:26.451
1016Daniel Ricciardo STR-Ferrari1:27.0241:26.319No time

125 Fernando Alonso Ferrari1:26.6881:26.494

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't offer human sacrifices at the alter of Scuderia Ferrari, and I can't even say I've been a fan of a specific team since the JPS Lotus of the 70's. What I enjoy is competition, and I look forward to any team coming forward to challenge the recent dominance of Red Bull. Say what you will, Vettel is still just a kid, but he has the ability to someday be named alongside Schumacher, Senna, Fangio, or any other legend of the sport. How that plays out remains to be seen.

I give Mclaren a good shot this year

ouch

Kimi couldn't get into round 2 of the qualifying, he got caught out with hard tires on. Shame, especially since Grosjean qualified 3rd in the Lotus-Renault showing that the car is competitive.

How cool is that? It would be great to see Lotus on the podium a few times. I also have a soft spot for Williams, but I think they're still a bit behind.

Nice to see an F1 thread on B&B!

Looking forward to the race.

McLaren looked really strong in qualy. No hint of overdriving or neurvous handling , cars were on rails.

Nice to see Grosjean in the top 3. He deserves this after the half chance he had in 2009.

Rosberg did not seem to get it together in Q3 but I do expect some firework from him in the race. Hope he beats Schumacher (who does appear to be in great shape) and makes it to the podium.

The Mercedes powered cars were impressive. Bravo to Roman. Too bad Kimi got caught out, might have been interesting. The Scuderia has some 'splaining to do with that retro front end suspension. Even though he often aggravates me, I hope Webber manages to pull it out of the hat for the home crowd.

How many are going to wind up in "The Gravel Pit of Champions"?

Wow Ferrari did poorly. It was expected, but I still have a soft spot for them.
i'm hoping Kimi can step up this season and place well.
not this race, but he'll get there.

Bravo to McLaren-Mercedes for their finish.

Its going to be a great race!

Good Job from Button, a very solid race from the line. Vettels race pace was not far off so we could be looking at an exiting season.

Merc seemed to have similar race pace issues (compared to quali) as last year. Could be tire management.

The biggest suprise to me was the Williams' pace. They seemed to have pulled quite a good car out of the cheap hat. I would have loved to see Rubens in it.

The biggest suprise to me was the Williams' pace. They seemed to have pulled quite a good car out of the cheap hat. I would have loved to see Rubens in it.

Completely agree. I felt terrible for Maldonado on the last lap, but to see Williams and Ferrari fighting for position in the closing laps was terrific!

I'm a bit surprised with Force India and Toro Rosso this weekend. I thought Force India would be better and Toro Rosso would be worse, but it was the opposite.

Even though the top five were the same as last year, they didn't appear to be as dominant, and I'm glad to see all those other teams make huge strides. Great race!

ouch

McLaren topping Red Bull in the opener bodes well for an exciting season. Also nice to see Kobayashi score some decent points for Sauber for a change.

I was impressed with Kimi's drive. Shame about Roman and MSC. Maranello needs to ditch that pullrod crap.

Congrats to Jensen on a flawless drive.

Great drive by Button. Hamilton seemed off the pace compared to qualy where he was superb, but that doesn't excuse his petulance on the podium - he deserves to get the back of his legs slapped.

Good to see Williams competitive but such a pity they have a donkey driver in Maldo. Mind you, I think RB had had his day and should have retired gracefully rather than being ousted.

Should be a good season though, six WCs on the grid.

I am off to KL Friday, got seats on the back straight, upper level so I'll give you a wave Sunday.

Good gravy those McLaren cars are quick.
I've never been a fan of RBR but that was some good driving by Vettel.

The biggest surprise to me was how well Alonso placed.

The engineers will be busy with only 1 week until the next race.

ouch

Great drive by Button. Hamilton seemed off the pace compared to qualy where he was superb, but that doesn't excuse his petulance on the podium - he deserves to get the back of his legs slapped.

Hamilton's talent is only exceeded by his girliness.

We expect a full "live on the scene" report next week.

Top Bottom