What's new

The DE Buyers Guide....

I agree with what you say, but I have more confidence in users. Although they might do what you say, when they run into trouble, they'll know why, hopefully by reading posts like this. If not, whe they come asking for help, we can tell them why, but at least they will have experienced some success.

In the mean time, I've found that too many newbies fail because the HD is too aggressive, and they give up in frustration. Having the option to start at a 1 or 2 instead of 3.5 can often make the difference between failure and success in learnng the right technique. We're each an experiment of one. I can only tell you that you're one of the lucky ones.

What turned me around on this is all the reading and e-mail on method shaving. They put a newbie right on a Progress with Feather blades! And they have a pretty good success rate with difficult problems. So, my thinking is that just on a statistical basis, I can help a lot more people by suggesting a Progress with a tamer blade like a Merkur and a starting setting of 2 for a month. They still have the option of dialing down if necessary.
Joe, I think you are right. I started with a DE 52 years ago and found myself shaving way to fast which created a lot of nicks and cuts; which drove me to the new multi blades (Fushion) after years of use all I got were bumbs and ingrown hairs. So I am back, Merkur Progress Long Handle with Merkur blades. Started at 2 and now at 1 and will stay there for at least a month, sensitive skin. I am using The Art of Shaving Cream and badger brush and might explore with the cream; any suggestion?
Rick

Very relevant & informative thread, thank you Joel for starting it almost 5 years ago and everyone else, especially Joel, Joe & Randy, for contributing so much up to now. When I decided, not too long ago, to add a DE to my rotation of straights and SE, I read many threads but this was the one which really helped me out most. And because of it, I decided on a modified Progress 500 (the Mergress XL) and ordered, for good measure, 10 blades of Feather and Personna Red with it. That was 2 weeks ago and I am obviously still working on my technique but am also wondering whether I should maybe use different blades. And, actually today, I started doubting that I chose the right DE to begin with but after reading some here on B&B again, I let go of the doubts and decided that I will just keep on working with it for another month or 2.

So, thank y'all again for having shared your experiences and thoughts here, which have been of great help & motivation to me. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
When finding a vintage razor like a SuperSpeed, what is best cleaning process to tackle it with? I have heard about ultrasonic cleaners but is that necessary? Just looking to cleaning the grooved handle and then polish it up.

I no longer recommend the HD to newbies. I recommend the Progress, because it makes it possible to turn the exposure way down, making it easier for them to get started. I think they need to maximize their chances of success, don't you?

*GROWL* Real men start with a Futur on 6 and a feather!

Joe, I think you are right. I started with a DE 52 years ago and found myself shaving way to fast which created a lot of nicks and cuts; which drove me to the new multi blades (Fushion) after years of use all I got were bumbs and ingrown hairs. So I am back, Merkur Progress Long Handle with Merkur blades. Started at 2 and now at 1 and will stay there for at least a month, sensitive skin. I am using The Art of Shaving Cream and badger brush and might explore with the cream; any suggestion?
Rick

I started with the AoS stuff too. You can do better. AoS is better than the Edge gel concotions, but you can upgrade your shave experience with Musgo Real or Proraso (CO Bigelow at your local Bath and Body Works). I prefer the Musgo. It's about half the cost of an AoS tub and will last quite a long time. It smells a bit like "Italian barbershop" and I really enjoy it. Lather monster. Check out the reviews section for others. I've got about 20 on my "To Try" list. Olivia's Creams and the Fitjar in neroli also hold a special appeal to me. Godrej is popular in India and I just ordered some from Classic Shaving in Palm Springs. It's $5 and arguably among the best bang for buck creams out there. Classic Shaving also has Old Spice in the original Shulton Formula for $5.

Last edited:
Thanks Joel for the thread and for biting your tongue. Very informative and helpful. Love my Slant. I think your original thought was correct about recommending an HD for beginners. Adjustable razors can be frustrating for newcomers (it was for me with the Progress).

Great post but I was wondering why you only gave reviews of Merkur razors in here? There are other razors available that work just as well.

Great post, joel - thanks to this, I bought a Merkur HD, and then followed it up with a mint condition used Vision I found on the B/S/T. Your descriptions of them are spot on. Everyone looking to get into the hobby should read this.

I quite want a long barber pole slant, but is it safe? or is the short handle a bit safer, due to the increased feel, and closeness of the hand to blade?

I have been shaving with a Gillette Knack my grandfather gave me for about a month, and have become intrested in shaving with a DE razors.
I want to buy a new DE and I am deciding between Merkur 38C, Progress and 39C Slant Bar.
The 38C looks very nice, but i already have a closed comb razor.
Progress it the one im currently leaning at, but that plastic knob seems too vulnerable and breakable. If I was from the US I would buy the Mergress, but as I understand it it can only be bought from leesrazors which is in the US and I would have to pay duty and other importing fees unlike ordering from the site based in the EU.
The 39C Slant Bar looks nice, but from reading the reviews I gather that as a begginner it will be too agressive and I would cut my head off, though my skin is sensitive and irritated and I read that this razor is a good choice for that.

So now I cannot decide which razor to get if any (should I stick with Gilette knack for a while and then buy one of those three and which one)?

I am in my 70's and have been DE, SE, and straight shaving for over 55 years. To much thought about razor/blade/technique willl drive you nuts. My current favorite razor is the Mergress, a converted Progress by Eric. This razor is now unreal and probably the best razor/blade combination I have ever shaved with. I have a good collection of razors but the mergress is my day to day shaver. I also like my EJ89 and my Knack, which will give a very nice DFS shave when my concentration is not fully on the morning shave. I shave every day (Retired Marine and Generational thing). The thing with adjustables is people tend to mirgrate to higher numbers prior to having developed a good technique.
Recommendations are just that and YMMV but buy and use what you like and learn to like what you use.
Mike

. . . If I was from the US I would buy the Mergress, but as I understand it it can only be bought from leesrazors which is in the US and I would have to pay duty and other importing fees unlike ordering from the site based in the EU. . .

Actually, you may not have to worry about duty on a small order from here. I can't say for sure about the EU, but here in the US we have a $200 exemption -- if the order has a value of less than $200 US, there isn't any duty or tariff due. Canada has a similar exemption. I receive at least two packages from Hong Kong every month and haven't paid duty in years. I would call your local Customs office and inquire about such an exemption.

I wish that was so, here in Slovenia the exemption here is 22 EUR including the postage, if its over 22 EUR you have to pay Slovenia tax (i dont know what the duty exception maximum is). I ordered the Amazon Kindle payed for it about 103 EUROs - and had to pay 32 EURos for tax and other **** that they made up - thats one third of the price i payed for the thing.

Not to get offtopic: I ordered the Merkur Progress from shaving.ie.

I received my Progress today and have a little problem: i almost cant turn the knob its extremely hard - do I have to oil it or something ?

Last edited:
R

RonSpolar

I have the Merkus Vision and agree with you. I have large arthritic hands and I can hold on to this and work with it. Very light pressure.

I wish they had numbers instead of letters on the adjustable collar. I find it confusing but then again at my age, lots of things are confusing.

Appreciate the thoughtfulness that went into your descriptions of these products. thanks.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have the Merkus Vision and agree with you. I have large arthritic hands and I can hold on to this and work with it. Very light pressure.

I wish they had numbers instead of letters on the adjustable collar. I find it confusing but then again at my age, lots of things are confusing.

Appreciate the thoughtfulness that went into your descriptions of these products. thanks.

Welcome to B&B!

Just to add to and confirm the findings:

I started with the Merkur Classic, which to me was a perfect way to start and develop technique. I recently purchased a Futur from a member of this forum, and wow that was a jump. Not only in size and weight but you could practically hear the Futur snarling with aggressiveness.

I've learned that i really like the smaller razors like the Classic - it's easier to finesse around difficult parts of the face and be able to see more of what you are doing. While i did get a great shave out of the Futur (setting for first few shaves= 1), I felt like i was not able to see well enough because of the size. It was definitely an awkward transition.

I felt like it was the difference of being on a speedboat or an ocean liner. The speedboat turns faster and is more nimble. However the ocean liner, what it lacks in speed, makes up for in luxury and features.

I'll use the Futur a few more times just to see if it gets more comfortable, but i really like the finesse that the smaller razors allow.

Top Bottom