What's new

THE Chemex Brewer Thread

I have never used the Chemex, is it different than other pour over methods?

The Sweethome www site recently posted a review of pour over coffee devices. They said something to the effect of "all coffee experts that we talked to use the Chemex."

Has anyone here compared the brew from the Chemex to a press pot (my current weapon of choice)?

Chemex has been my favorite since the 1960's.

I've gotten lazy over the years and use my commercial Bunn most of the time because it is easier.

BUT.....

I had to make double what I usually make for unexpected guests the other day, turned out too strong. Right now i'm still trying to perfect my 13g:500g brewed coffee.

I received a 6 cup Chemex and a Breville hot pot for Christmas last week with the intention of bringing it to work for decent coffee in the office. I already have a Hario manual grinder and an Aeropress, but just don’t love the Aeropress process or the brew it produces.

I have been testing the Chemex this week using grinds from the Baratza and have been very impressed with the quality of the brew. It is super smooth without being bitter, and I think the Chemex filters might have something to do with it. Frankly, it’s better than the brew we get from the Bonavita, and we like that a lot. We’re considering picking up an 8 or 10 cup Chemex for home along with a decent sized thermos or thermal carafe.

Chemex filters make the smoothest pour over.

I use them in my Hario V60 dripper also

chemex-crew.jpg

I have been curious about Chemex. Yesterday I picked up the 1-3 cup pot. I've enjoyed the cups I've brewed so far, including the one I'm sipping now, but I think I prefer a bit more body to my coffee.

I have been curious about Chemex. Yesterday I picked up the 1-3 cup pot. I've enjoyed the cups I've brewed so far, including the one I'm sipping now, but I think I prefer a bit more body to my coffee.

Time your brew.

If it is too long (over 5-6 minutes) grind coarser.

If it is too short (under 3 minutes) grind finer

Shoot for 3 to 5 minutes with a 4 minute brew time being your perfect target.

Above times are excluding your 30-45 second bloom time

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Time your brew.

Shoot for 3 to 5 minutes with 4 being your perfect target.

very good advice and something I should keep I have always wanted to try the chemex and probably would be something I could use on the weekends. we have an electric kettle so I think it wouldnt be that much work. re reading this thread may motivate me to grab one ... they had them for sale at my usual coffee place.

Time your brew.

Shoot for 3 to 5 minutes with a 4 minute brew time being your perfect target.

Above times are excluding your 30-45 second bloom time

I did this when I was working out the kinks last week. My biggest challenge was settling on how much coffee to use. I didn’t get one of those goosenecked kettles either. I just used a regular old teakettle and the hot pot. Both worked great!

I timed my brew, which completed right around three and a half minutes, including bloom time. I think I'll go two clicks finer on the grind, and see how that works out. Thanks again for the timing suggestions, @turtle .

I've been using a Chemex 8 for about two years. Have an Oxo Barista grinder, I prefer it since it uses weight versus run time. Grind for 7 cups on the weekends when the wife is home. Oster hot pot, nothing fancy, water to the top of the cone, run about half out, top it off again and again, and it runs through in about 5 minutes to the bottom of the vent. Weekday, wife goes to work at 0300, I grind 4 cups for me when I get up. Same Chemex, just fill the cone enough to float the grounds, repeat as needed, takes about 3 minutes or so to reach the top of the button. Normally use Peet's Major Dickinson in 3-lb bags from Sams. Lasts about two weeks, seems to be fresh, quite lively when the water hits it. Boyers is a Denver roaster, some of it is OK, but always seems to be stale. For a treat I'll pick up some local fresh roast now and then, gotta get me a roaster next...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How do folks feel about the chemex paper filters. Meaning do you need to use the name brand or will a regular no 4 paper filter work?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Today I brewed regular old pre-ground store bought Folgers Coffee in my Chemex!
It turned out pretty darn good.

How do folks feel about the chemex paper filters. Meaning do you need to use the name brand or will a regular no 4 paper filter work?

Malitta #4 filters are a different shape and not usable in Chemex brewers.

Hario V60 filters are the right shape but are more expensive and harder to find than Chemix filters are.

Clockwise from top left.

Kalita
Hario
Malitta
Chemix

proxy.php

SWMBO and I were out in the thrift stores and we came across this 1.2L Chemex with a box of filters.

It is the newest type but who cares, I don't have a Chemex down here.

Brewed a pot of La Minita (last of what I had roasted). 48 Grams coffee to 1.2L water, 30 sec bloom, 4 minute pour

proxy.php

SWMBO and I were out in the thrift stores and we came across this 1.2L Chemex with a box of filters.

It is the newest type but who cares, I don't have a Chemex down here.

Brewed a pot of La Minita (last of what I had roasted). 48 Grams coffee to 1.2L water, 30 sec bloom, 4 minute pour

proxy.php

Very nice, and at a thrift shop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom