What's new

"The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" Contest

Marrying my wife. It's been 10 years, but it seems like yesterday.
proxy.php

Having the great joy of meeting country music superstar Miranda Lambert 8 times!!

I have been following her since the early days before she hit it big, and it has been wonderful to see her grow as an artist, as a performer, and to see the rest of the world finally realizing what I have known all along: She is an amazing artist, who should be listed among the greats of country music!!

Here is the most recent time I met her at Ford Field in Detroit:

proxy.php

The best thing that happened to me was falling in love for the very first time. It really is true that you never, ever forget your first love.

Mike

The very best thing to ever happen to me was responding to a personal ad from a young woman in a local magazine back in the spring of 1989. At the time I was a divorced starving artist down on my luck; everything I owned could fit in a small car and I had $36,000 in short term loans to pay off. I had hit rock bottom and was slowly working my way out of that pit when I answered the ad.

It turned out Cindy and I were ying and yang for one another - a perfect fit. We became best friends and were married in a small ceremony 12 months later. In four years I went from being desperate to being happily married with food on the table, a roof over our heads, a new career where I was appreciated and money in the bank.

All because I answered a personal ad that fateful day.

The best thing that ever happened to me was serving in Desert Storm.

Of course, it was also one of the most frightening and trying things that ever happened to me as well.

• Frightening because I once thought I had inhaled nerve gas (To my great relief it turned out to be a false alarm.)
  • Trying because, well, 18-20 hour days in 100-120 deg. F heat, half-a-world from home gives new meaning to the 'daily grind'
  • The best thing because it gave me a WHOLE new understanding and appreciation for what really counts in life... and opened my eyes up to just how often we make a mountain out of life-issues that are really just molehills in the grand scheme of things (A BIG wake-up call for a 20 yr old)

...and what I went through is peanuts compared to what our troops have experienced this time around. My hat goes off to all our servicemen and women doing tours in Iraq and Afghanistan this time around.

The best thing that ever happened to me was finding student affairs. I had an RA my freshman year that told me I should apply, I had no real idea of what it was. Half a decade later and now it's my life. My choice of odd-ball major has led me down a bunch of great paths. I am completing a great masters program, did great work with a ton of wonderful students, found my SWMBO, helped my brother get into college, and countless other great things.

When I started working in the insurance industry, my grandmother was so proud of me and told me I'd go a long way in the business. I laughed it off and told her that she was dreaming. Well, 15 years later I'm still in the game. 2 years ago, however, I received a major promotion. When I called my mother to tell her the news she started laughing and asked me if I realized that I had just received my promotion on my grandmother's birthday. My grandmother had passed several years before, but I'm damn convinced she engineered my promotion from the Great Beyond because she was so convinced I'd go far in the industry. That was one of the best things that happened to me.

Best thing that ever happen to Scuba was the day he heard there was a fellow Purdue Grad working in the same office.

So I bee-bopped down to check out this Boiler and WHOA...she was a stunner! I was in deep smit!

So, I asked her out. She promptly told me to get lost. I was too "gung ho" and full of myself.

So, I dated a number of women that didn't work out......persistence paid off however and eventually she came around and we got married in 2002!

Best day of my life was finding out she was in the office!

The best thing that happened to me was my divorce. I was trapped in a marriage of deception and lies and infidelity. It hurt to not be with my kids every day, and it still hurts, but leaving that and being able to find someone that genuinely cares for me, understands and supports me has been great. I got back together with my college sweetheart.

For right now I would have to choose the day I got my kidney transplant on July 4th, 2004. A lot of changes going from hemodialysis to having a kidney transplant. Talk about it being nice to be able to enjoy food and water without worrying about consuming too much salt, potassium, phosphorus, and daily fluid restrictions! Lot of doctor appointments at first, but they were lessened as the months went by. No need to go every other day for 4 hours, and the 3 hours in transit. Be able to go on a trip without worrying about scheduling in a new area for dialysis, which I never did for that reason. All the goods far outweigh the bads. Only really pesky thing is that blasted Prednisone and weight gain, but I have a much lower dose now so that's better as well. :smile:

I would also have to say my first love that I met back a year ago and had asked to marry me recently, but has had second thoughts. I may not understand why her feelings have changed, or whatever it may be, if things will work out and she'll come back, or if it's just over, but it can't change how I feel about her. I may have to move on, but I won't regret one second of our time together.

Last edited:
The best thing that has ever happened to me is accepting Christ into my life. I have many other things to be thankful for....my wife, my 3 children, my church but that decision on 9/12/00 made a profound difference in my life.

The best thing for me was as I was coming to the end of my enlistment in the Army, that was propably my greatest accomplishment, my Dad had to have some surgery done since he had been sick roughly the entire time I had been in the Army. Right about 6 years. I worried about him and my Mom quite a bit but there wasn't a lot I could do. Well anyway he was scheduled for surgery about 2 weeks I think after I got out. He was in the hospital for a few days but he made a perfect recovery and and was back in tip top health in no time. I like to think it had something to do with the closer proximity of his son but hey whatever works. He got better and thats all that matters!

By far, the birth of my daughters. Can't pick one. Children change your whole perspective, and I can't imagine life without them.

The best thing that has ever happened to me is figuring out what an education is worth and trying to get one for the past couple years. Worth every minute.... Texbilly's response was pretty good, though.

Top Bottom