What's new

The BEST grilled cheese sandwich ever!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I love grilled cheese sandwiches with a tomato basil soup but mine is boring.

Describe yours...

Bread?

Cheese(s)?

Condiments, toasting, etc...

Thanks!

Sourdough bread, slices of roasted/rotisseried pork loin, triple cream brie, grainy Dijon mustard and hot pickled peppers.

dave

You can't beat proper Welsh Rarebit: good cheddar; butter; beer; mustard; Worcester sauce; and a bit of cornflour to thicken. Spread on a slice of my home-made sourdough, grilled on one side only, and then sizzled under the grill. Heavenly.

You can't beat proper Welsh Rarebit: good cheddar; butter; beer; mustard; Worcester sauce; and a bit of cornflour to thicken. Spread on a slice of my home-made sourdough, grilled on one side only, and then sizzled under the grill. Heavenly.

Mmmmm...British cuisine.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I make grilled cheese two at a time. Both get onions and one bread slice of each has mayo. The one sandwich get a piece of Swiss and a piece of sharp cheddar. The second one has the Swiss sandwiched between two pieces of cheddar. I like to eat the best thing on the plate last. Since the second one has more cheese, it is clearly better, so I don't have to put much thought into which sandwich is better. Yes, I'm a loony.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My grandmother used to make one with buttered rye. I know that it had dijon mustard. Wish I knew what cheese it was.

Sorry the photo came out upside down. I often screw up a grilled cheese sandwich when I flip it too. But it's a good book.

IMG_0932.JPG

If you want your bread toasted to perfection skip the butter and barely give
20160916_131258.jpg
it a lick of mayo instead.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
12 grain bread. Old cheddar, Swiss, Mozzarella, or a combination. Roast chicken, beef, pastrami, if I happen to have it on hand. Deli mustard.

Whichever way you have tomato soup and grilled cheese. . . I'm with you.

Bread (white), cheese (American), margarine....the classic. None of that fancy stuff for me.
Yeah, that about sums it up for us. I'll throw in a slice of tomato for those that like them, but I prefer mine plain. They are usually accompanied by Campbell's tomato soup. Great meal for a rainy Monday.

It's not a proper grilled cheese if it has meat, vegetables, or condiments. Just bread, cheese, and butter for toasting. I like sourdough and Muenster.

Open-faced, grilled with bacon was always a favourite at home growing up, still works pretty well.

proxy.php
dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My favourite is a simple, buttered white bread filled with cheese and a good amount of onion.
Some days I want a bit more and may also use some ham or tomato as well.
I have added a mustard pickle to the base cheese and onion mix, that was very nice.

If you want your bread toasted to perfection skip the butter and barely give View attachment 759961 it a lick of mayo instead.

That sounds intriguing, Jim. I'll be trying that next time I make one.

Some nice recipes here. My wife's family likes to use Velveeta but I have convinced her to use sharp Cheddar instead. I like it on sourdough bread, with bacon and tomato but we usually have it with just tomato. I like to use mustard but the rest of the family likes mayo.

If you want your bread toasted to perfection skip the butter and barely give View attachment 759961 it a lick of mayo instead.

Mayo on the outside? I'll give it a try.

My favourite is a simple, buttered white bread filled with cheese and a good amount of onion.
Some days I want a bit more and may also use some ham or tomato as well.
I have added a mustard pickle to the base cheese and onion mix, that was very nice.

That sounds intriguing, Jim. I'll be trying that next time I make one.

If you have such thing in the house, you can also use the not mayo spread Miracle Whip. I have had a grilled sammich or two made this way, and it is one of the few acceptable uses I've found for that particular product... if you want to change up the flavor a little bit.

I'm on the list with the basic classic. Buttered bread (not too fussy on the type... rye, pumpernickel, white, sourdough), 2 slices of wrapped American cheese food (or a thicker slice of Velveeta), and Campbell's Tomato (made with whole milk, no water, if you please). As soon as I add anything else to the sandwich, I consider it a grilled sandwich, not grilled cheese. lol

Top Bottom