What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

So all going well, I should be starting on Tuesday evening

Well it's Tuesday evening, the bike is assembled and I took it on a very brief test run around the block (which is on a slope, love those 24 gears - even if bottom does mean you have to pedal at 3500 rpm to go 0.3mph) despite the subzero temperature, hail & snow falling and the dark. Only did 1.5km, but it was good to be back in the saddle after a 17 year hiatus. Tomorrow I shall head for the country park!

Biking is a great low-impact way to shed some pounds (or kilos ;) )
I've postponed my official start and weigh-in untill this Friday, but I'll keep you posted.

The only fear I have is that my rugby player's thighs will become even more treetrunk-like :rolleyes:

Problem solved!
proxy.php

Congrats on the test run!

Well it's Tuesday evening, the bike is assembled and I took it on a very brief test run around the block (which is on a slope, love those 24 gears - even if bottom does mean you have to pedal at 3500 rpm to go 0.3mph) despite the subzero temperature, hail & snow falling and the dark. Only did 1.5km, but it was good to be back in the saddle after a 17 year hiatus. Tomorrow I shall head for the country park!

Congrats! You ever think about biking around Loch Ness?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Chad has requested that this thread become a sticky and it has been done. So here is the new B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club sticky. Best of luck to everyone. :thumbup1:

I was wondering what happened, I saw the thread with this title, tried to post in it, and was told I didn't have access...it disappeared
but now the best thing has been done..kudos!
I will post tomorrow my starting point, been sidetracked teh past two days and forgot, but have already been getting back on my plan that I've already had success with:
5-6 smaller meals, 4-500 calories per meal, average
got my sandbag ready, and hung the ole punching bag back up
dug out my jumprope, and checked the batteries in my gymboss...ready to go!

I have been mired in a battle of the bulge for years. I am 5' 10", and at my worst I was 290 lbs. I beat that down to 225 about 3 years ago, and was in top condition. Subsequently, my life got turned a bit upside down, and I fell off the wagon. I ballooned back up to 275. I am currently fighting back, and have gotten back down to 245. I hope to be down to 225, and size 36 pants, by the early summer.

I have a problem with the whole BMI thing though. At my last physical, I was measured by the physician and he advised me that, due to my build, I should weigh no less than 200 lbs. The BMI calculator still puts me into the "Obese" category. To be the proper weight I would need to drop down to 170. I weighed more than that by the middle of high school! :lol: I think I'm going to follow the doctor's recommendation...

Congrats! You ever think about biking around Loch Ness?

It's hard work looking at a map of Loch Ness. I actively avoid driving that bit of the A82, no way I'm taking the bike there :001_smile anyway - that's more than half a country away from me. I need to get fit first!

Wait! You're after first dibs on my shaving gear when I get nailed by an 18-wheeler :mad3::lol:

Today - 24' rewarded me with 3.85km of subzero temperatures in mud, ice, ice-covered mud and mud-covered ice. "Interesting" in places may have to rethink the route I take (encountered a mud slope that was hard work to get up - took 4 attempts to walk up it without the bike to pick out the best way up).

Edit: I'm recording my activity at www.everydaycycling.com - not perfect but I use so many computers I can guarantee I'd not be at the right one to record today's activity :smile: - there are options to record swimming, walking & running too and for GB'ers an opportunity for some cheap public liability insurance for when you mow down a pensioner in error.

I think BMI is a little antiquated. My body build is not suitable for 168, which is what BMI thinks I should way. I look skinny at 200 pounds.

I have to say I agree with you - I don't hold with the big-boned/small-boned thing either particularly. But if my shoulders are wider (not in circumference, just straight width) than someone else of the same height, I'll look like a famine victim in comparison for the same BMI.

It's for this reason that I don't involve weighing in my regime - I can see the change in my belt setting, I can feel the difference in the fit of my clothes etc.

Hey, just found this thread, great stuff! My BMI is 25.8, I'm 5'10 and 180lbs.

This will be tough as the wife is preggo and usually now she can't finish her meals so I'll finish it for her.:tongue_sm

But as far as exercising I have my road bike on a trainer and follow videos from here http://www.spinervals.com/ there is a great amount of diversity in the videos. I would rather ride outside, but with the sub freezing weather and such, I'd rather stay in.

My goal is to be at 160lbs by August, when the baby is due.

So what bike did you get?

"You may delay, but time will not." -- Benjamin Franklin

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club is a place for members to discuss fitness and weight loss goals in the encouraging and supportive environment that is B&B.

This morning I'm 254 (I'm 5'6"). My goal is to lose 1 pound a week. That would put me at about 200 for the end of the year. So far since Christmas I've lost 4 pounds.

I'm going to post starting/current/goal weights.

258/254/200
(my BMI is right around 40)

My goal for this month is to start using our treadmill 4 times a week and find 3 times a week to get to the gym.

but I need me some walkin/exercizin' shoes first! :eek:

One week update:

Height: 6'
Weight: 218 lb
Waist: 43.5 in
Weight loss since last update: 0 lb
Total weight lost: 0 lb
Inches dropped since last update: N/A
Total inches dropped: N/A
Weight goal: 190 lb
Waist goal: 38 in

I decided to add a waist measurement in since weight isn't always accurate(especially if your building muscle). Didn't lose anything, didn't gain anything, can't complain. Keep the faith everybody.

Thanks for being an Athletic [Club] Supporter! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I have a problem with the whole BMI thing though. At my last physical, I was measured by the physician and he advised me that, due to my build, I should weigh no less than 200 lbs. The BMI calculator still puts me into the "Obese" category. To be the proper weight I would need to drop down to 170. I weighed more than that by the middle of high school! :lol: I think I'm going to follow the doctor's recommendation...

Good call. It should probably be pointed out that nothing in this thread is intended to counter the advice of your own physician, who should be consulted before starting any exercise program. I suggested BMI simply as it allows folks to put numbers in the thread without taking the sometimes trepidatious step of posting an actual weight. Everyone is free to post whatever makes them most comfortable -- weight, belt size, whether the floor still creaks when you step on it in that one spot -- whatever! :smile:

Welcome to all the new folks -- good luck!

alright, here we go.
I stepped on the scale (first time since November! :eek:), back up to 294!
UGGGHH!!
scale must be wrong, tried again...292 :confused:
all subsequent tries resulted in 292, so I guess I'll go with that.
that's +15 since September, crap I hate that...weird thing is, I didn't eat much more during the holidays (exc. desserts :rolleyes:)
haven't done any other measuring yet, but right now 44 jeans are slightly loose, so I'll go with it for now, until I can justly measure later
I'll also add my distrust of the height/weight chart, and slightly less distrust of BMI, both tell me to shoot for around 180 on the high end!
bull crud-o!

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 292 lb
Waist: 44 in
Weight goal: 245 lb
Waist goal: 38 in

sounds like a great idea....we can share methods of how we lost the weight and what did or didn't work for us and take pictures to track our status and progress....GREAT IDEA!!!

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 205 lb
Waist: 34 in
Weight goal: 225 lb (muscle not fat)
Waist goal: 30 or 32 inches

Top Bottom