What's new

The B&B Gentleman's Athletic Club

I think BMI is a little antiquated. My body build is not suitable for 168, which is what BMI thinks I should way. I look skinny at 200 pounds.

Well, I got fed up with my scale this morning. It read a higher weight after exercising and *ahem* certain other activities that always result in a weight loss.

So armed with discounts, I snagged a cheap electronic scale that also does body fat monitoring.

Result - Not Good!:mad3:

Weight 211.8
BF 34.7%
BMI 31.3

At least it is consistent... :mad:

That means I am carrying 75 lbs of fat.

FAT is the enemy.

And it's time to lose that enemy! What are you signing up for? How will you reward yourself?

153 lbs is the goal.

Well, I saw the Holy Grail this afternoon. Bruichladdich PC6, the world's most heavily peated Scotch Whisky. I even had the opportunity to hold the tin.
At $125, I may get that for myself if I lose the weight.

Except for a few items - and John Crissman knows what I'm talking about, there will be NO shaving purchases until I get the goal weight.

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 210 lbs
BMI: 33.9

I’ve really let myself go since last spring. I must lose weight in order to pass the Navy’s bi-annual physical health assessment in March. Right now my waist is about 40" and I need to get down to a 37" to pass. That means that I need to lose at least 20 pounds, which is about two pounds a week. I quit smoking five years ago and gained thirty pounds, but I have a much easier time running now. I was down to about 192 but I recently quit drinking and developed an insatiable sweet tooth that has made my weight balloon to where it is now. I’m given time and facilities so there is no excuse, and I need to set a better example for the junior personnel that I lead.
Wish me luck.
Doug

Well Gents - I've been and ordered a cycle today (the whole story below) with the intention of joining you all, however as I've done this before, I'll not be using any weighing, only my belt size.

Currently it's 44", my initial aim is to get to 38".

So this morning with SWMBO's endorsement ringing in my ears, I set off to the "local" (15mi/25km) bike shop where the largest blob of lard on the planet was in control - his thighs were about the size of me so he could have been on a bike and you'd not know... apparently he had no bikes suitable for me until Jan 20th, so I headed off to Edinburgh (on the flip of a coin - could have gone to Newcastle both are about 60mi/100km away) and entered the fourth circle of hell (aka Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Operative) whose sale had just started and joined a 350-man scrum of thin men clad in lycra (I won't be cladding myself in shorts or lycra any time soon, the world isn't ready for that :smile:).

They have 1400 bikes in store - is there one I can ride off on today? - is there, my foot! (There is if I go on Monday - which is strange). So the chap comes up with a bizarre credit crunch mode offer - if I want a bike, I can have it 15% off the sale price (already 20% off the regular price, and 2% off for VAT fiasco) or take 20% in accessories (which is handy because I needed a heap of accessories - pump, helmet, speedo, lights etc) and they'll deliver it free on Tuesday from their warehouse (which is helpfully closed at a weekend). I chose not to go for the "skateboard-style pisspot helmet" (that's what it said on the sign in store) which looks like something that might be worn when annexing the Sudetenland...

So all going well, I should be starting on Tuesday evening (initial plan is to take a cycle ride around the local country park instead of sitting and eating lunch)

I'm back on board with the weight loss. I am 5'10" and back around 2000 I wieghed in around 238 pounds, got smart and joined the local Y and by 2002 I was down to 198 pounds hitting a low of 175 in 2004.

When my dad died in 2005 threw things off, got lazy not so much not going to the gym ( which I do out of habit) but not doing enough cardio along with some emotional/stress snacking I ballooned back up to about 215 pounds. I re-introduced more cardio into the plan and in switched to a circuit type workout a few months ago.

My problem is despite the fact I don't eat processed food, trans fats, high sodium, have maybe two pints of beer or glasses of wine per month and a fervent non smoker, just looking at a chocolate cake puts 15lbs on.

My game plan is to go from from 215 down to 170, I was happy with that weight, liked how I felt and how I looked.

I now have a routine for the heavy day: roughly 30 min of cardio on an ellipical cross trainer and 45 min of "circuits" weight expercises with two minute sprints on the treadmill and I do this three days a week. On the other two days (or when I have a schedule crunch) I do a light work out where the weights and treadmill are cut back but I am spending more time on the elliptical machine like say 40-45 min.

I'm going to officially lay everything out.

Height: 6ft 5in
Weight: 365lbs
BMI: 43.3

My short-term goal is to lose 65lbs to get back down to 300lbs. My long-term goal is to get down to 220lbs. I would also like to compete in a marathon eventually.

My reward is going to be a new bicycle. I really want a Trek 7.3 FX, but I don't know how money will be, so I might have to settle for a new razor or brush.

SWMBO and I loaded up the kidlet in his new wagon and went over to the gym. Thankfully, our apartment community has a kid's room adjacent to the gym with a big glass window so we could see him. I did one mile on the treadmill. I tried running right of the bat, but the treadmill didn't like that and felt like it was going to break. I was able to get up to a little jog a couple of times.

Official:

6' 5"
245 lbs (bathroom scale)
29.0 BMI
40 in Waist

I have a more official body fat and metabolism done, but can't find the figures. If I do, I will post them. I am not a big fan of the BMI as well, but it is a measure.

My goal is to be at 225, while building my upper body, and getting my waist size down to 38 at least and more like 36.

My reward, well, I would like a badger brush. If I hit everything, I may spring for another watch as well.

Here is to everyone...good luck

Marty

One thing we should look at is the incremental cardio, instead of the five minute car drive to do an errand we should walk there and back as an example.

One thing we should look at is the incremental cardio, instead of the five minute car drive to do an errand we should walk there and back as an example.

That's a good one actually. If you do this when going to the grocery store you get exercise on the way and back AND you don't overbuy food because you can only buy what you can carry. Then if you need to go back to get more the next day, it's more exercise!

Some simple things that add up to a lot over time:
- Park at the end of the mall/office/store carpark and walk to the entrance instead of circling for 20 minutes trying to find a spot right next to the door
- Pay the cashier instead of paying at the pump for gas.
- Walk up or down one of two flights of stairs in the office instead of taking the lift. For more than 2 flights, walk down them if up is too much.

Taking the cue from Michael Pollan (Michael J. Fox's brother in law) shop around the outside of the Supermarket where all the fresh stuff is. He wrote a couple of good books on the food industry and they are eye openers, the one on top of my head is the Omnivore's Dillemma.

I think the other thing is watch out for the corn syrup and sodium content in food. If you are going to have a treat like an icecream go for the boutique organic stuff and only get a cone, not the 2 gal tub worth.

I spent 35 min on the elliptical machine and did a half hour circuit hitting back, shoulders, chest and arms. I feel great.

35 minutes on the ole dreadmill today.

Also there is an interesting article in one of the Sunday Paper mags about health foods and things to eat/avoid.

Another 35 minutes on the dreadmill today, going a whole whopping 100 meters in the same time as yesterday. I also got in two 0.8 mile walks today.

As Scooter says, "We have to deplumpify you before the Jungle Lizards get you!" Bonus points if you can identify the cartoon that came from.

Been cutting back on portions, have not had any sodas yet in the new year, or fast food! Also been getting off my butt and have run just over a mile a couple of days so far in 2009. Good stuff.

Great suggestions for the B&B Gentlemen's Athletic Club (BBGAC) everyone, and thanks to all who've already posted BMIs, etc. The "keep it simple" approach is great. Let's simply continue what we've been doing, and agree to encourage each other along the way.

For folks with weight loss/fitness goals anytime in 2009, feel free to seek encouragement and motivation by posting BMI/weight/beltsize, etc. as you'd like in this thread (a good BMI calculator is here). Fitness goals and tips are welcomed, as well! If you get a chance, sending an encouraging PM to someone on the thread every now and again would be quite in keeping with the gentlemanly qualities of B&B.

To help encourage folks, I'll keep my promise to gift a Gillette Slim (it somehow seems fitting...) to the regularly-posting member who has showed the greatest percentage drop in BMI from now through the end of March (check-in required between March 22 and 31).

My info: BMI 35.2. Ideally, I'd like to get this down below 30 this year. This would require a 40 pound weight drop, which is quite doable during a year at a healthy pace. I've done the weight loss starvation yo-yo thing before, and have realized firsthand that the key is prolonged habit change, not temporary starvation. I've actually started playing with Wii Fit, which, if nothing else at the moment, provides motivation to get the heart rate up a bit each day.

Your turn! Post your info/goals and be sure to keep us updated!

This is a great thread and I hope everybody reaches their goals!

I'm not posting #s because I'm just crazy like that but my goal for this semester (between now and the middle of may) is to lose 20 lbs. I've been jogging, I decided to get a nike + sport kit which is pretty cool. It tracks all of my runs and shows me how I'm doing using my ipod. If I reach my goal or close to it and can maintain the weight loss through the summer I'm getting myself some custom nike running shoes in August :biggrin:

edit: I'll toss in a long term goal too. I want my 26 inch waist back

Top Bottom