What's new

The 5 second rule

Yeah figured that ... here is Aussie and NZ, a bathroom is exactly that it has a bath and or shower and vanity (shave den) in it no loo... we call it a toilet, loo or dunny and it's in a room if it's own. [emoji868]
In fact here if your house has a toilet in the bathroom it is seen as a negative and will lower the price unless it's an ensuite.

It's a funny world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would prefer that.

To answer the question I have a toddler there is no 5 second rule at our house. LOL At work or anywhere else public food hits the floor its next step is the trash.

Yes. It really depends more on the item. Dry food and smooth foods are less likely to have bacteria cling to them. But wet foods and rough surfaced foods are more likely regardless of time of exposure to have bacteria cling to them. When in doubt throw it out as the saying goes. But, in all my years of shrugging and picking it up and eating it anyway I've never been sick from it, but that's just my experience.
This is correct. It's not about how long it spends on the floor, it's about WHAT you dropped.

Crackers? Fine. Sausage is sticky. So it would be covered in whatever is on your floor in no time. Having said that, it's probably safe to eat most of that stuff anyway. I'm sure you've seen toddlers lick the floors.

As for me? I throw food away if I drop it, pretty much all the time.

And yes, I am an infectious diseases physician with coming up on 30 years' experience and a couple of textbooks to my name.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
So your fresh sliced apple or sausage hit the ground rolling. You picked it up fast in 2.567 seconds. Is it safe to eat?

You've never heard, "angel kiss it, devil miss it?"

When I make burger on the grill, it is almost guaranteed that one will hit the pavement.

I've dropped a half raw patty between the grates into the coals, dusted that thing off and ate it right where it stood.

Little fiber, never hurt anybody.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've dropped a half raw patty between the grates into the coals, dusted that thing off and ate it right where it stood.

Little fiber, never hurt anybody.
Yeah, I just rinsed it off and put it back on the grill for a few more seconds.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You'll never be able to hear Mahna Mahna again without thinking of that video.

I wouldn't eat it. Better safe than sorry. OTOH, I'm not a worry wart, I was a union ironworker in structural steel erection for 20 + years. We .... or maybe I should say I packed my lunch and ate my sandwiches with my dirty hands. No lavatory to wash them. Never had a problem with a deficiency of iron in my blood. :001_smile
+1 And cool to see another Ironworker here!!! From the now extinct 772 here.

+1 And cool to see another Ironworker here!!! From the now extinct 772 here.
Yes it is cool. I started out ironworking in the late '60s. My home local was 272 in FL. In the '80s I was on the road working out of 11 and 45, in No Jersey, and the Duluth MN local whatever that was in the 1970s. Hung it up in '89.

Yes it is cool. I started out ironworking in the late '60s. My home local was 272 in FL. In the '80s I was on the road working out of 11 and 45, in No Jersey, and the Duluth MN local whatever that was in the 1970s. Hung it up in '89.

I'm still a young pup then. I only graduated in '90. I worked non union in NC for about 8 years, then in 2000 I moved back home to PA. Got in the 772 for a while, but was benched most of the time. (Not much work in the sticks.)
Worked on the road during the off times then 3 out of Pittsburgh took over the 772 and conveniently "lost" a bunch of records. As far as they are concerned I was never a union Ironworker.

So after that slap in the face, I went back on the road for a company where I did a little of everything. Weld, fab, pipefit, machinery moves and installation, industrial maintenance, and of course hanging any iron they needed hung.

I'm still a young pup then. I only graduated in '90. I worked non union in NC for about 8 years, then in 2000 I moved back home to PA. Got in the 772 for a while, but was benched most of the time. (Not much work in the sticks.)
Worked on the road during the off times then 3 out of Pittsburgh took over the 772 and conveniently "lost" a bunch of records. As far as they are concerned I was never a union Ironworker.

So after that slap in the face, I went back on the road for a company where I did a little of everything. Weld, fab, pipefit, machinery moves and installation, industrial maintenance, and of course hanging any iron they needed hung.
Well you have to eat. I'm very familiar with politics within the IW union, and I guess all of them for that matter. It is tough when it isn't your home local. You just have to take what they offer and do the best you can. I never worked out of local 3, but I worked with quite a few guys from 3. I did it for a bit over 20 years, got out with all of my fingers and toes intact, and no broken bones. Just one herniated disc and two bulging in my lower back, but diet and exercise seems to have kept me up and going. Good luck with the work, and stay safe.

The dogs never listen when I call them but let even the lightest of food hit the floor and they are instantly under my feet. You would think we never fed them. If the food is there at 5 seconds that means it has already been in one of 3 dogs' mouths and was rejected.

Top Bottom