What's new

The 5 second rule

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So your fresh sliced apple or sausage hit the ground rolling. You picked it up fast in 2.567 seconds. Is it safe to eat?

Depends. On the ground outside or inside? Honestly if it was outside in the dirt or grass I'd say yeah. Inside I'd be more worried about. Seeing as dead skin makes up the majority of household dust.

The five second rule also applies to my iPhone that I just dropped in the loo [emoji372]
Thanks God it's still working ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being an IPhone it would have been better to just leave it.

But then I would have to put up with my android phone being abandoned by the manufacturer after 18 months or catching fire [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji4]

My next phone will be a Google Pixel... supported for at least 4 years.

It depends on the ground. Or floor. Mythbusters did a thing on it, and found that 5 seconds was just an arbitrary number. Leaving it there longer did not much increase the amount of germs.
I think the only reason the "rule" exists is because for 5 seconds you certainly know how it got there, and what has happened to it since it fell.
When in doubt, I rinse.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It's a scientifically proven fact.

I've seen studies that the 5 second rule is bogus...as soon as it hits the ground/floor it's contaminated.

Then I've seen research that said the 5 second rule is valid...not enough time for the little nasties to jump on the food.

But then...how contaminated are your hands, plate, utensils that have sat in the drawer, etc. that you are using to eat? Should we use rubber gloves to eat dinner?

Funny you should post this tonight, Aaron. I just had a brat in a hotdog bun that needed warmed up and when I got up the whole thing rolled off the plate onto the floor. I just picked up the brat in about 2.6 seconds and threw it back in the nuker, then chunked it back in the bun.

I'm just fine...head quiver...just fine...head quiver. Really, I'm just fine.

But, I used to eat dirt and dog food on a dare when I was a little kid...immune system musta got built up. :biggrin1:

When in doubt, I rinse.

Yup.

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Scary but it's probably nearly as clean as many food processing plants since the continuing series of FDA cuts.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and Dad and I would slice apples outside with our pocket knives, and sometimes we would drop a slice in the grass. Just picked it up and ate it.

So that's what is wrong with me.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't slice raw meat on my floor. I know how clean it is when I drop something and make a judgement call.

It depends on the ground. Or floor. Mythbusters did a thing on it, and found that 5 seconds was just an arbitrary number. Leaving it there longer did not much increase the amount of germs.
I think the only reason the "rule" exists is because for 5 seconds you certainly know how it got there, and what has happened to it since it fell.
When in doubt, I rinse.

Some of myth busters science can be a tad questionable.... hey it helps the immune systems... but in my house if it hits the floor it gets binned as Grimm the Doberman tends to stand in his own poop [emoji90]... shudder.

Top Bottom